Y&R- Week of November 8th, 2010

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I notice that people always blame Hogan for the bad writing but Hammer, MAB and various 'ghost writers' all have a role here, too; in addition, the network is very involved in story and Bloom has clearly signed off on all this mess. Y&R is seriously starting to remind me of ATWT post-Hogan when Pissy and Goutman wrote the show. A lot of the stories are just silly but what bothers me most is that often the character's actions are devoid of motive and therefore fail to make sense. I keep watching this Cane 'drama' and can't help but wonder why he just doesn't go to Philip? It is only 5 million and the family is rich.

• Members

I'm really not that conversant with Y&R's "bad writing". I only pointed out that "Hoganitis" the specific condition of not really delivering any "punch" during sweeps, seems to be affecting them now. What's happened this sweeps? Meggie got caught...the fallout from that is confined to Victor and Nikki really. Daisy came back...barely registers as a shock around town. That's it for "exciting" happenings around Genoa City, minus the catfight between Phyllis and Diane, which boiled down to Phyllis calling Diane a pyromaniac slut.

• Members

Agreed, Y&R ofte seems to produce it's best story during non-sweeps periods. The reveal on the baby switch/Sharron's and Ashley's collective unconscience dream might be a good example. PJ, I know you are a major Maura fan so what is your feeling on Daine being Carly with a new hair style? Here, and along with Blake 'Simon', I see Hogan falling into a ATWT time warp. Carly and Simon were both well-intentioned con artists with heart and I see nothing more than that going on here at Y&R.

• Members

Pj, I agree with you about Kahlil's shoes. She's prancing around on these clunky stilettos.. I had a friend's sister who used to do that, she thought she was some freaking show horse or something. then one day, she stepped in as HUGE pile of goose poop with those shoes of hers, and I laughed till I peed.

• Members

I think it's the best job I've seen from one actress playing very similar roles. (I really defy anyone to compare Sarah Brown's roles and see any difference between them, besides the hair color.) I'm not saying that it's by any means perfect, but I see a minimum of tics, no nose wrinkling, no talking with the hands, she doesn't smooth her bangs over, she doesn't even say "Jack" the same way. (And I know I sound like a fangurl, so those who are chuckling at me, shame on you!)

I do sometimes feel like Diane is written the way Hogan wanted to write Carly, more cold-blooded and user-ish. I definitely think Blake is Simon (or his look-alike Donovan), but then again, it's a small role, and Leyden was probably brought in because they knew he could play it. I don't think Blake is well-intentioned at all.

I don't think the problem is Hogan falling into a time warp, I think it's always a "problem" revamping a character with a recast for a while. And I think in some respects, it's hard for the writers to write two strong women who will take no sh!t going at each other. I think it's extremely hard for them to write for Maura, when Phyllis plays such a dominant role on the show. No one reigns Stafford in at all.

I don't know if Diane's a little under-defined just because they're purposely trying to obscure her motives, or if TIIC just truly don't have a plan other than "letting Maura do what Maura does best."

• Members

Since when would anyone other than the court system have a say in where Daisy gestates and delivers? Only in GC would a woman be given the option to keep her baby with her in prison after birth. The writers are so stupid and this story is totally ridiculous.

Archived