The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

How many people have died because of Tyreese? I can't think of that many. There's a chance some of the group will die, but he wasn't the one who told them to let the Terminus people go. I have a feeling Bob was already bitten, although if not then part of that will be on Tyreese.

I don't think Tyreese is there for humanity (I think that's Glenn's role) as much as he's there to show fear and reluctance. It can be annoying and repetitive to watch, but I think part of it is down to Tyreese's role in the comics already being taken by other characters. They've had to adapt or try to make the character his own. I think they've tried to subvert the role as a result, because there are already so many men on the show who are killing machines, but it doesn't always work.

I don't mind the scenes where he kills walkers offcamera because they're more about suspense than about him being a bad-ass, but I hope they won't do anymore.

• Members

This episode was so full of great character moments & interactions. It was what I enjoyed the most.

UGH! Clayton Norcross on The Walking Dead. Grab me a sick bag!

The ending with Bob being eaten was so shocking and gross. The show still delivers.

• Members

Overall I thought this was a good episode. I didn't have a strong emotional connection to it, as I would have wanted to have, possibly because they crammed so much story into one episode (this could have been a half-season or story), and perhaps a directing issue, but I liked it.

What I appreciated the most was Sasha's characterization. I thought they treated her perfectly. Her emotions (grief, disbelief, rage, acceptance) were all understated yet still easy to see. Her scene with Tyreese was important for both characters, and treated both respectfully. I'd go as far as to say other than "The Grove," it was Tyreese's best material so far. I think Sasha has likely always been pragmatic and Tyreese has been ruled more by his big heart, and they're both adjusting - Sasha let herself fall for a guy, let herself trust, while Tyreese is trying to control his emotions and do what has to be done. I was happy that the show let Sasha kill that bastard without making her into some type of bad person or acting like she was betraying Bob or her brother. Sasha has her own voice, she isn't just someone's girlfriend or sister. I'm glad we got to see that here. I'm also glad we got that goodbye with Bob, and the final scene where she let Tyreese kill him for her. I'm glad the show didn't pander to the fandom mindset that only 2-3 characters are important.

Sasha means a great deal to me as a character on this show. I think she adds to the group in ways I can't quite fully explain. I know she's never going to be a main character, I know she will be lucky to get through each episode, but I'm glad she, and Sonequa Martin-Green, got that chance to shine.

I also like how simple the Tyreese/Sasha relationship is. There's no forced conflict, no forced merriment - they're two very different, yet similar people, siblings who love each other but aren't defined by that.

I was underwhelmed by the Terminus group in this episode, as minus some well-acted monologues they were mostly smug idiots, and the brutality scene didn't quite work because of the lighting and because it's difficult for us to be shocked even as the show wanted us to be shocked. With that said, the key scenes ("tainted meat" and Rick's slaughterhouse) still worked, and I'm glad they didn't drag this out.

Some part of me was like, "Bob takes a long time to die," but I'm glad they gave him a decent showcase for his final episode, and let him go with dignity. I'm not a big fan of the whole "happy death" TV scene, it just seems cliche, but Lawrence Gilliard Jr. did a great job. Kudos to the show for treating his relationship with Sasha as something good and positive while still allowing both characters to keep their dignity and not just be about each other. Sasha wants to believe in good things, but she's never going to be happy-sappy, the way he was in his last few episodes. She's balanced, and he kept her balanced, which is one of the reasons she (and I) will miss him. We never really got to see that much of Bob with the group in a positive way, so the group goodbye scene and the scene with Rick didn't mean as much to me, but it was fine. Bob was an interesting character. Even if the writing was sometimes uneven and clumsy, Gilliard always did his best. Bob brought a unique voice to the group. He reminded me more of the Darabant period, which isn't a bad thing. I'll miss him.

I like the idea of what the show is exploring with Tyreese, and that they aren't just repeating Rick's struggle with "how far is too far," but the details are what make the story sloppy.

I didn't have a problem with Glenn and Maggie being disturbed by the brutality. I keep seeing people say Maggie and Glenn wouldn't leave their "family," but honestly they were never really "family" to Glenn and Maggie. Maggie was in a bubble with her father and sister, and Glenn was an errand boy for the group. He didn't really find a family until he met the Greenes. I wish we got more POV on this, but I prefer them quietly leaving to endless debates over morality and losing yourself and so on. I just want more POV, especially for Maggie. I feel like I understand Maggie, but that's just me. I don't think other fans are as willing to keep cutting her slack for the odd writing choice of not mentioning Beth.

I wanted more Michonne, as always, but at least they gave her that powerful scene with the katana, which was both amazing and heartbreaking, as she is, in a way, as chained to it as those "pets" were chained to her, and she can't move on without it. The scene with Gabriel was also good. I was worried they might try to hint at a romance between them; thankfully they didn't.

I'm wary of Gabriel because he seems somewhat superfluous and the show already has so many characters, but Seth Gilliam is doing a good job, and I'm glad they're bringing in more guys who aren't generic action heroes.

Speaking of that...

Abraham continues to sour episodes for me. He just feels grafted onto the group and the show. Splitting him up helps resolve this for now, and helps stave off pissing contests with Rick (thank you!), but it doesn't help make him any less one-note or unpleasant. The note to Rick was a good start. Can we build on that?

• Members

I just don't understand why people keep trying to negotiate and [!@#$%^&*] with Guile Abraham. What has he offered the group other than looking like he just got off a two-year stretch as a body man for Vanilla Ice? He always starts saying some crazy, out of step [!@#$%^&*] that has nothing to do with what's going on in front of them, and everyone's all like, 'whoa! hey! Calm down, Abraham, how about we go get you an Orange Julius right after we do this thing? We promise, we'll do whatever you want in a few hours! Please, Abraham, please!' He's like a giant toddler with neon orange hair. Captain Cosplay.

I can understand wanting to go to the capitol, fine, do that, but I don't get why they put up with his demands. Feel free to quick-march your ass to Washington for this highly speculative plan you got from Dr. Kenny Loggins, or you can wait for us to finish our business and go with like a dozen people on a bus. Your choice! And I don't get why Glenn and Maggie are so into it. Other than that, I thought it was a fine episode. Rick keeping his promise to Gareth, the hipster cannibal was deeply satisfying.

Seth Gilliam is making the best of his role as the kooky preacher - his meltdown was actually very touching, but honestly I just kept thinking of his years of brilliant work as Carver on The Wire. Speaking of, I will miss Larry Gilliard. And while I love Chad Coleman and I do like Tyreese a lot, I will admit I had come up with the nickname "Cryreese" by the end of the hour. Sorry!

I don't agree at all that Glenn and Maggie were never family, though. They absolutely are, they have been for years now. That's why their going off with Abraham is weak to me.

Edited by Vee

• Members

There is a broad family, and clearly there are emotions and feelings, but Glenn in particular was much closer to Hershel and Maggie (and now Tara) than he has been to most of the others for a while now.

I don't quite know what is going on with Maggie's characterization - some fans are crucifying her for not mentioning Beth - but I think she's probably pulled back considerably after Hershel's death and is just trying to be with Glenn and make decisions with him. She seems cut off.

I agree about Abraham. I just don't know why more of them don't say, "[!@#$%^&*] off." Hopefully by the time everyone meets again he will be better integrated and less of a cartoon.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I just don't see Glenn or Maggie as having been emotionally disconnected from the others. I don't remember that ever happening - they were separated physically, but they were always trying to get everyone back together. They even bid their tearful goodbye to Bob tonight.

• Members

I'm surprised they left the group. Cudlitz is a good actor but this character blows! The character just grunts and barks orders.

I don't get why Glenn and Maggie left, but I hope they shed this albatross of a character.

RIP Bob, I was surprised he made it this long.

Sonequa was fantastic!

• Members

I don't think there was ever a "moment." I don't think they see the group as strangers or as acquaintances. There are bonds, memories, friendships, respect. I'm just saying when I think back to most of the emotional moments in recent seasons (especially starting in early season 4), Glenn and Maggie had most of them with each other or with Hershel. I think Glenn after they settled into the prison, saw them as his main family. Maggie saw Hershel and Glenn and Beth as her family. They were both isolated after the prison fell and I think that probably made it easier to make more of a break like they made tonight.

• Members

I hope Glenn is not off the show. Maggie I don't really care as much about, but Glenn was always cool in my book. The chuch scene was really well done, you don't often see such frank onscreen violence from the heroes. Bob? Eh, he was barely a blip on the radar. Whatshername who liked him? Can't really care about her broken heart either since we got maybe three minutes of her and Bob together spread out over a dozen episodes. Tyrese? When he came in to talk to her I had to go for the FF.

Abraham...dud character played by a dull actor. I don't understand how this character made it onto the show, as he has no apparent personality I can see. That girl who has been with him every week, does she even have an opinion on anything or even a name? Why Glenn would leave his crew for this gang I don't understand. And Abraham was a bit of a dick. Here Carol saved his life and he has no inclination to help save her. His dream of Washington Glenn has to know is probably a pipedream considering what Atlanta looked like the first episodes of the series. Washington has to be as overrun as everywhere else.

The most interesting part was the ending with Daryl. I don't think that is Carol or Beth with him because that wouldn't be cliffhanger worthy. I guess it could be Beth in shellshock over her experience and afraid of her own shadow thus Daryl trying to bring her in slowly, but that doesn't really make sense. He wouldn't be lurking in the shadows. It has to be someone new because there is no one lurkworthy to bring back.

• Members

Sonequa Martin-Green (possible spoilers)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-star-shocking-outcome-743915

Andrew West

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-gareth-dies-interview-743914

Greg Nicotero interview about this episode (and teasers/spoilers for upcoming material)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-bob-gareth-die-743913

TooFab talks about the episode, with some comments from Josh McDermitt (Eugene) about filming. This also has a video interview with Sonequa. I should warn this link has some NSFW or semi-NSFW photos. (not of TWD, just of celebrities)

http://www.toofab.com/2014/10/26/the-walking-dead-four-walls-and-a-roof-recap/