DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

Stacy was excellent as "Lily" in the short-lived vampire soap, KINDRED: THE EMBRACED. It can be seen on YouTube. It would've been a hit primetime vampire soap if the lead had not gotten killed in a motorcycle accident. I liked it so much that I bought the DVD set. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I won't bore anyone with how special Jack (Matthew Ashford) and Jennifer (Melissa Reeves) were to me as an impressionable child, but just know that they were and because of that I'll go even farther and say if we can't have Melissa Reeves as Jennifer, than we should never see her again. One of the reasons, amongst many, RC's DAYS is so soulless is because he'll recast anyone and anything at the drop of a hat. If the show has to have a new face, slapping an established character's history on them means nothing. It's like all these reboots and continuations of shows past that networks/streamers are desperate to make happen. They all suck in comparison to their originals and make you yearn for what used to be and what will never be again.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

I can't parse this. Is there a word missing? 

But, I would point out that daytime is known for its successful recasts. Soaps couldn't do their thing if it wasn't for recasting. Susan Seaforth Hayes is Julie #4. In this instance the way Jennifer Rose was written for Cady to play is as Jennifer Rose is & was. She certainly was not a drastically different person. Difference is a question of degrees. Personally I think the problem some fans have with Cady is that she's not Missy. 

• Members

Thank you!! I’m also of the opinion that characters like Jennifer and Kristen should just never be used again if they can’t get Missy or Eileen. I also feel the same about Carrie, Billie, Jack, Eve, pretty much any longtime fave. 

Donna, I’ve said that at least twice now. We Jnj fans don’t like McClain because she ruined our couple. And if you have to rewrite a character to fit a recast, DON’T USE THE [!@#$%^&*] CHARACTER!!!!!

And yes, soaps, including Days, have had successful recasts before such as Drake Hogestyn and Robert Kelker-Kelly. However, Haiduk and McClain are NOT successful recasts! Days has not had a successful recast since Heather Lindell and that was twenty years ago.

Characters become popular because of an actor’s portrayal, not the writing. It is Eileen’s idiosyncratic, nuanced performance that makes Susan and Kristen great characters. It’s Missy’s appeal and charisma that makes Jennifer a great character. The recasts can’t pull any of that off which is why the characters simply should never appear again if the originals are not available. 

Edited by Lye-C

• Members

I appreciate your view.  I honestly don't have that strong of a connection to Jen as a character.  I would be horrified it one of my favorites were recast.  I don't think Cady did a bad job or anything, but I do understand YMMV on this topic

• Members

I don't think they necessarily changed the way they wrote Jennifer for Cady.  As far as the initial Cady arc is concerned with Jack/Kate . . . ummm Lauren Koslow didn't even know what the hell to do with that and she sells almost everything.  That was beyond random and everyone struggled with that "reveal" . . . Missy would have, too.

So I am a massive Jenn/Missy fan, but to be honest, I think Cady played what was on paper--the writing, since 2000, has favored Jenn as a stuck up ice queen . . . it's Missy who has (sometimes, not always) played against that and infused all the spunk and warmth historically associated with her Jennifer.  But Cady's stiff upper lip WASPy stuff is totally what's on paper.

I will happily take Cady if it means we get see J&J on a semi-regular or, ideally, contract basis.  Sadly I think Missy only feels available for very rare appearances, like holidays, etc.

• Members

I’d rather they free Jack from the faux Jennifer by killing her off or divorcing him.

Jack and Kate wasn’t entirely random. She wanted to sleep with him in 1993. JER had an affair story planned out for them but Matt complained about it because he didn’t think Jack would cheat with an infant daughter at home so the story never happened.

Where are all my fellow Eileen fans? Maybe we need to do a Twitter blast to show Days we want her back.

• Members

What a welcome, reasonable perspective! And, me, too! We don't have nearly enough Hortons! It's better for Matt to be working at DAYS than not, etc. !! Julie's gonna need people in that house now more than ever. No, Chad, Thomas & Charlotte do not count! And, furthermore, killing Abigail was a huge mistake. 

Well, there's me. I am one of the hugest fans of ED. Only I don't agree with you, so you only want ED fans who agree with you. BUZZ! Thanks for playing. 

• Members

Yes they do. Chad, Thomas, and Charlotte are all Hortons.

There is a home for Matt at GH.

If you truly liked Eileen, you’d want her back and Haiduk gone. 

Edited by Lye-C

• Members

She has returned in 2017, 2021, 2022, and 2023. Where are you getting this idea from that she doesn’t want to return? Has she said something since filming last year’s Thomas scenes?

I’ve never claimed to be a “true” Days fan. My loyalty has always been to Reilly first and foremost which is why I originally quit watching in 2006. I am a fan of Reilly, his storylines, and his characters and cast.

You must have me on ignore because you clearly haven’t seen the multiple posts where I’m advocating for Eileen to reclaim her roles even if it only means appearing once or twice a month. Better to have any Eileen than no Eileen (although no Eileen is still preferable to a recast). 

Edited by Lye-C

• Members

From Eileen's own words printed in the press?  She doesn't want a full time gig at Days and Days wants a Kristen.  SH fills that role and is available.  I don't like it, but it's not like ED wasn't offered the role back or anything.  

I wish Vanessa Marcil was on my screen everyday as Brenda, but that's not a possibility at this time.

Some things are what they are lol.

• Members

I’ve been saying I want Eileen back as Susan and Kristen even if it’s only one or two episodes a month. I have never said anything about a full-time gig. She has made time for Days in 2017, 2021, and 2022 while also appearing on the Y&R. Appearing every month in an episode or two is not “full time”. 

The recast hadn’t appeared in months prior to this week and she has only appeared as Susan in a handful of episodes over the past 18 months. Eileen could easily be doing these guest appearances. 

Edited by Lye-C

• Members

Scott and Melissa Reeves have two children, Emily born in 1992 and Larry born in 1997, who have blessed their parents with four grandsons in the last three years.

The couple resides in Nashville, Tennessee.

I'm sure missy will agree to participate in Doug Williams death story if asked.