• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for posting that. I dont see how that makes her a racist. I dont like the N word and dont like anyone to use it but Im with her in that it comes across alot worse when a caucasian says it than it does a black person. If that makes me a racist, then I guess Im a racist bc thats the way I feel. I dont think Sherri articulated her point correctly but I understand her sentiment and where she's coming from

• Members

I agree that no one should be using that word at all. I still agree with Whoopi that Barbara did not mean anything by it. We should be past this by now. I guess I am kind of ignorant since I am white. Maybe racist was not the right word. I am sorry if I offended you.

• Members

Oh dont worry as I definetly didnt take any offense to it. Its not really something one can really explain. Its jsut something ingrained with people growing up. The best way I can is that sometimes my close friends or sister call each other a bitch. Bitch is not a nice word and is very negative but its fine amongst each other. If someone Im not close with or a stranger called me a bitch, Id be pissed. Id hear that word and take it differently coming from a different type of person It may not make sense but it kinda does in the right context

• Members

what an interesting discussion that seems to never happen.

Personally, i mostly agree with whoppi. They want to remove the word from history and act like it didnt happen, it did happen. It has meaning, and power. I dont mind it when it is used as WG said, to report the news. Its a word with such weight and history. I am not going to say SS is wrong for how she feels, she has every right to have her view on it - esp because it is a word that has likely been used against her. Do i think it is racist to say white people cant say it but it is ok when black people do? I honestly dont know.

• Members

I think Sherri is actually trying to say like three different things at once and it's coming across as jumbled, unfocused thinking and logic, and I'm mad that she's making me agree with Barbara. :P She's raising the nigga vs. nigger debate with Barbara, i.e., blacks can use the former among other blacks as either a term of endearment or disdain, the latter, a racial epithet used primarily by whites (of course, in the south it'll sound like "nigga" coming from a white person too, but it's obviously about the intent). Saying that she doesn't even like hearing white people say it when reporting the news, I dunno... For instance, if a white person who fought during the Civil Rights movement is recalling a story where his black comrades were called nigger, that should not be censored and frankly, that should not make anyone feel uncomfortable. On the other hand, if someone is reporting a news story, it really isnt necessary to repeat the ugly word, whether it's nigger, kyke, dyke, faggot, or spic... we get it, we can use our imaginations if it's a story about ugly language. Also, it really bothers me when I hear latin people using "nigga" the same way blacks use it. It []ireally annoys me, actually. It's not *theirs* to use. Some things just don't fall on the ear comfortably and that's my personal rule book for such things. For instance, I am not Jewish, and though my Jewish friends might refer to another person as a Jew, I would never say, "Oh, is David a Jew?", but, "Oh, is David Jewish?" Know what I mean?

• Members

It's such a compliicated issue, but I do kinda agree with Whoopi more than others. If we're talking about what a place--like this stupid hunting camp, was actually historically called, especially when it's used in the matter of news or politics, it makes sense to use the word. I actually had to look it up because the bleeping out of it on that clip confused me as to what they were even discussing. (I knew it was the N word but not that it was a camp in the Perry family, with the title +head etc).

I think it's right to say that sometimes suing words like that in the proper context (ie among my other gay friends, I admit, and sometimes I do catch myself saying it and regret it, we all use the term fag or faggy quite a bit--but I wouldn't with a gay person I didn't know who didn't know my sometimes weird humour, or among straight people for thee most part--and I'd still be quite upset if a stranger ever called me that). Actually it does surprise me how I notice when they report on gay hate crimes on the neews, they don't seem particularly afraid to use that term--and of course you still hear it in movies (think of all the 80s comedies that called people faggot as humour--from Eddie Murphy standup to Teen Wolf and Crocodile Dundee), on normal tv stations and it's not bleeped out the way swear words would be.

But I guess it's all relative. I know Jewish friends who do sometimes refer to themselves as Jews, or a Jew and have no problem using that term, but do take offence if someone says an expression like "to jew you out of money". So I never think twice about saying someon e is a Jew, I guess I should. But I would think twice of, say, calling them "Oh, that Jew"... Then again many people still say to "gyp someone out of money" and don't even seem to realize that it is offensive towards Gypsies...

And I think I've talked myself into a circle.

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

Yeah, I firmly believe that much of this comes down to intent, and vibe... the late great acting teacher Sanford Meisner said that in the presence of true emotion, there's no mistaking it, and I think that applies here. One can *tell* whats' behind a person's use of any of those words, the intent is unmistakable. And yes, ther are times when they may be innocently used but awkwardly expressed. I work in the arts and not long ago during a discussion, one of my co-workers decribed a certain artist as looking "like a fag" completely innocently with no mal intent, and boy did that hang in the air like an anvil.