Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This article, which mentions Friends being on Netflix is obviously dated but it's still an interesting read because it details Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball electing to take a paycut so that Desilu (their production company) could shoot the series in film, rather than the cheaper kinescope (which most T.V. shows shot in at the time) as CBS wanted. 

Desi Arnaz: How He Changed the Culture of TV With a Single Business Deal

It made me wonder what CBS would've done had they had the rights to ATWT. I know many people saw CBS as a possible savior for the show, especially when the show was staring down cancellation but this article made me wonder about the ways in which CBS might have further cheapened the show's budget (hard to believe that would be possible in the lean last years though).

From my time in grad school taking a sitcom writing course, I already knew that I Love Lucy was the first multi-camera television sitcom but I really appreciate how negotiating for a better filmed show preserved episodes so well that it allowed Desilu to carve out reruns and what become known as syndication deals. That was incredible foresight.

• Members

Yea, its too bad they sold the rights to CBS so they could buy the RKO studio to set up shop there.  Those Arnaz kids would have been billionaires! But again, who knows if the show would have been so huge in syndication to this day if CBS didn't own it and able to make money of it.

Which leads me to ATWT..I don't think there was anyway to make money off of it or GL so CBS would not have been that interested. Also, remember, the clone was Babs Bloom's idea and the show really started tanking the more the net got involved.

• Members

The one character trait of Margo's that I noticed was that she had a sense of humor and was funny.  Colin's Margo was funny in a dramatic way, Hilary's Margo was more sarcastic, and Dolan's Margo (in her first stint) had more of a dry sense of humor.   I do think various things like the rape, miscarriage, dissolution of her marriage, PTSD after the plane crash etc in the 90s made Margo more harsh and bitter.  It made sense, but the writers never made any efforts to show that Margo had changed, etc.   Although I did love Margo with the night stick banging on the jail cell while Nikki was in there.. and the back and forth between Margo/Nikki for a brief time in the mid 90s.

• Members

It's so wonderful to see them

Please register in order to view this content

Don Hastings!!! (He still sees Larry Bryggman and gave an update on Kathy Hays)

Maura West drinking corona beer in her hot tub! She is such a fun time I just adore her. "I have shitty wifi" ... dead. At the end Scott DeFreitas joined her  he looks the damn same. DAMN SAME. How does the ATWT cast not age? At all?

Martha is obviously still close to Liz Hubbard (who she says is doing well!) and says they're even closer now than when they were on the show. She's talking about her first day and how she was almost fired.

No one reacted to Michael Park mentioning Goutman directing him on his first day. Heh. Park's adoration of Maura West  

Kelley Menighan was fashionably late. Aww she recently talked to Ellen Dolan (I believe). Aww her crying at the end saying she just loved seeing their faces. 

We deserve ATWT and GL back.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I was just thinking of Don Hastings a few days ago. I'm glad he's still doing alright. Such a lovely sight to see on another sad day.

I miss so many of the soaps, but I miss GL and ATWT more than ever. They represented the heart and humanity of the country as they were created by a woman who, for better or worse, believed soap opera carried a deep moral obligation. ATWT would have have been right there for us, Penny snapping at Lisa to stop going out to the shops, Grandpa sharing old stories of the farm, Nancy and Chris reminiscing about their early years as a couple, Ellen worrying about Dan and David on the front lines, etc. And of course someone would have died horribly of coronavirus, especially if Irna disliked the actor, but that would have at least been a reflection of life, rather than gangsters and serial killers. 

• Members

Don Hastings looks incredible at 86. Farm living is working out for him.

Maura was like " I'm in the pool and drinking my beer." Scott did make a cameo at the end. 

Good to see Kelley Menighan after all these years later. She now lives in Chicago.

Michael & Maura still got it ♥ 

Martha has or had the long story document of what landed Doug Marland the job at ATWT

I was the one who asked about Marie Masters!!! 

• Members

It was so great hearing stories from them. You can tell how close they still are even if they may not talk all the time.

Please register in order to view this content

My heart needed that today.

I missed the Marie Masters mention. Some of it was garbled and I was slightly distracted at times. I need to rewatch it.