DAYS to shoot in HD. Is OLTL next?

• Members

http://www.tvpredictions.com/daytime090710.htm

News Digest

NBC's Days of Our Lives Going HD

TVPredictions.com

Washington, D.C. (September 7, 2010) -- NBC's Days of Our Lives will begin broadcasting in High-Definition on November 8, according to Multichannel News.

The publication reports that the switch to HD will coincide with the show's 45th anniversary. And while the transition will cost "seven figures," the soap opera's executives say, they add that high-def will "deliver a contemporary show with the most up-to-date look."

Multichannel News reports that CBS plans to air the new talk show, The Talk, in high-def when it debuts next month. The program will feature Julie Chen and other women gabbing about the day's events and related issues.

However, CBS, which has produced The Young & the Restless in high-def for several years, still has no plans to broadcast The Bold and the Beautiful in HD, Multichannel News writes.

ABC now has three soap operas in HD, but One Life to Live has not been slated for high-def yet.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Holy Crap...Broadcasting and Cable reports OLTL will begin shooting in HD in December. Is ABC for real this time? :unsure:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/456723-Fall_s_Hi_Def_Picture_Brightens.php

BROADCAST

HD has been old news in primetime for some time at the broadcast networks: Virtually all prime, late night, news and sports programming is already produced in hi-def.

There have been some standard-def holdouts, however, and the news is that this number will soon diminish, as some shows make the transition in the 2010-2011 season. On Nov. 8, NBC's Days of Our Lives will celebrate its 45th anniversary by moving to HD. Despite the fact that it will be "an expensive transition in the seven figures," series execs felt it was important to continue "to produce and deliver a contemporary show with the most up-todate look," Greg Meng, executive in charge of production at the soap and senior VP of Corday Productions, wrote in an email.

Another new HD entrant can be found at CBS, with The Talk bowing in hi-def in October. CBS soap The Bold and the Beautiful will, however, remain in standard def.

ABC has already taken three of its four daytime shows to HD. No date has been set for One Life to Live's transition to HD, but producers will start shooting episodes in the 16 X 9 format for December airing.

• Members

In many international markets the letterbox switch hasn't happened until this year, so there's no incentive for B&B. The show uses HD cameras already, has great sets and lighting so there's is not much for them to do to make it to HD. Problem is the tiny stage with sets being much too tight to fill a 16:9 screen. LOL

Great news for DAYS - this is a pick-up for several more years, I guess.

• Members

Will DAYS move out of their current studio to accompany this switch to HD? With the way they shoot now, I cannot imagine DAYS with those itty-bitty sets shooting in HD without seeing a boom mic overhead or seeing off-stage.

And OLTL moving into HD territory would be nice. That show sticks out like a sore thumb on the ABC schedule and despite my issues with Valentini and his abs over substance approach to the show, it will be great to see what his team can do with this extra push. Pre-studio move, his show's directing and look was totally solid.

Nevertheless, glad to see DAYS and OLTL competing with the rest of the bunch.

• Members

Yep. B&B would have to make a compelling argument to occupy/take over the Bob Barker studio so they could accommodate shooting multiple shows on one stage or B&B will have to move. There's already enough production errors(which I hope the show will be rid of when Ed Scott comes aboard), and a move to 16:9HD would be even more disastrous.

Either that or Brad Bell will have to house half of L.A. in a hotel, ala GL.

• Members

I'm glad for Days as it suggests NBC is behind the show for now. But the EP desperately needs to do something about some of the lighting and sets, because every FLAW will be under a magnifying glass in HD. I worry less about the actors because Days really puts effort into hiring the prettiest people. Hello Nadja Bjorlin, Arianne Zucker, James Scott, Jay Kenneth Johnson! John Aniston and Suzanne Rogers look awesome for their age. If I were EP I would hesitate to do extreme close-ups on Peggy McKay and Josh Taylor, though.

• Members
LOL. I didn't mean back when GL was shooting with handhelds. :P

I meant during 2005-2008 when GL had that one hotel room at the Beacon and just changed the number on the front of it.

I don't know what Gary Tomlin's deal is. I've never thought of him to be the height of modern soap, but his Sunset Beach and OLTL didn't look nearly as bad as his Days of our Lives does. I don't know if that is a money issue or what, but it's so distracting and annoying. Not to mention the tight, ugly sets. Maggie's kitchen looks plain and awful.

If DAYS is gonna shoot in HD, I wish there was a way they could bring back Salem Place on the NBC lot.

Rauch: Parking lot? Did someone say parking lot?

Archived