1977 - 20 "Most-Available" Bachelors in Daytime!!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sometimes I forget just how many New York based soaps there were, and of course even onscreen the shows had a different character than West Coast soaps. The soaps all had such unique identities then. Now it all seems like an afterthought. I guess at least we have old magazines or episodes and maybe someday the four or five day a week format which helps make soaps unique might return in another form.

• Members

I loved Jerry on Dark Shadows. He was superb as the fanatical Trask but also very good, and attractive, as the private eye Tony Peterson. Such charisma he had. He had such chemistry with Nancy Barrett that they never capitalized on. I haven't ever seen his other soap work, it's too bad he didn't do any after Y&R. Sometimes I still can't believe he is married to Julia Duffy, I always think of her as her Newhart character. I saw them on Chicken Soup for the Soul about ten years ago, as a married couple, they both did a good job. Jerry had aged well at that time.

• Members

Soaps lost a lot when they lost NY. I don't think it is too snobby to say that there is a difference between trained actors and people who want to act vs beautiful people with great teeth. Joel Crothers was in the original cast of "Torch Song Trilogy" and was a replacement for Robert Redford in "Barefoot In The Park". That's slightly different than Brandon Beemer's credentials as the handsome shirtless guy on "MTV's Undressed" or Greg Vaughan getting into acting by way of Armani and Versace.

• Members

Not that it means anything, but...

* Patrick Horgan is married to former OLTL EP Susan Bedsow Horgan.

* Jerry Lacy is still married to Julia Duffy.

* AFAIK, Val Dufour and Larry Keith were heterosexual.

* Lewis Arlt is married (although, I forget to whom).

* Armand Assante is not married (again, AFAIK) but is not gay either.

Don't know about the others. Also, had no idea David O'Brien was gay -- but you know, can't say I'm surprised, lol.

And in a business where you have to write to an actor's strengths, that can make for some incredibly shallow storytelling.

• Members

I never even made that connection, the Horgan. I guess Susan went a long way back. I mostly remember her from the stint producing OLTL, which had some decent moments in 1995 but then became dull and dumb in 1996, although that probably wasn't entirely her fault.

• Members

Nah, I don't think that was Susie's fault either. Granted, I was not a fan of Michael Malone's, b/c I felt he cared too much about his own creations and not enough about the characters and families longtime OLTL fans were used to; but I do feel there was a concerted effort on the part of the network to "dumb down" OLTL after he left for the first time. That's why (IMO) we went from densely plotted, if overlong and regularly tedious, tales like Angel Square, Patrick & Marty and the Men of 21/Poseidon to horrendous [!@#$%^&*] such as Cameron/Olivia, Antonio & Andy and Viki's brainwashing by Carlo Hesser and Doc Durbin. Horgan, though, was probably the last EP to appreciate the kind of old fashioned, novelistic storytelling that had been championed by Robert Calhoun, Doug Marland and Nancy Curlee; and that, by the time she was producing the show, was already largely out of favor within the daytime community.

Archived