ALL: Saddest Soap Moments

• Members

Samantha Womack's wailing at the end was powerful, but they had reaped so much tragedy on Ronnie that I started to not care after a while. I think only recently when they started to settle her down with Jack again and put some light back into her life have I started to care again.

Diederick Santer and Dominic Treadwell-Collins said that Ronnie could never be happy because that would end all storyline possibilities for her. I think that's a big heap of rubbish.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Back when they were actually done well, soaps used to move me to tears all the time. But the one and only time I ever completely lost my [!@#$%^&*] and cried and sobbed like a baby was the episode where Maureen Bauer died on GL. That was just such an emotionally powerful storyline, from her unrelenting anger at Ed, to the realization that they'd never have a chance to make things better, to Alan-Michael and Vanessa's reaction when Eve announced she had died, to Ed's mournful "imagine how lucky someone will be to get Maureen's heart..."

And dear GOD, that final montage with the Linda Ronstadt song... kill me now!

I'd rather forget that her heart was wasted on that toad Jesse Blue.

• Members

Lou says her final piece to the Fowlers and the Beales. Julia Smith begged Anna Wing to stay, she loved Lou so much. You can see that in this clip.

I wish that scene was online where, after her funeral, you see a train running across the track. That was one of the very few times the show ever did that until recently.

• Members

Danny Moon.

Dennis had a feud with local gangster Johnny, who had threatened both he and Sharon with death (who found out she was pregnant during X-Mas) if they didn't leave town before the New Year. Dennis found out through Phil, who was stalling him, and then he went and beat the crap out of Johhny, who called one of his hitmen (Danny Moon) after the beating to kill Dennis before he got away.

• Members

I never cried because American soaps just can't do that to me. I used to have more emotions while watching (when I was younger) but never tears. However, there was a certain Mexican telenovela when I was a small boy that caused me to cry.

• Members

Ethel's death was so sad and was the ending of an era for the show. I still remember her funeral being the same day the Slater's were introduced on the show on 18th September 2000.

I always tear up when Little Mo was found guilty of attempted murder for the Trevor stuff. But I guess you had to watch that story play out to be emotional about it, especially the hell Trevor put her though, and for her to be sentenced for attempted murder for finally sticking up for herself was so sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xapg0ss8hsA&feature=related

• Members

I wish the Knots Landing scenes of Laura's exit were online. The scene where Karen and Laura go to buy baby Meg clothes, Karen being bewildered by Laura buying her clothes for one year after the next after the next, as Laura tells her that she is dying. The scene where Laura and Karen say goodbye. The scene where Laura drives away, no one but Karen knowing she is going away to die, and Laura finally begins to break down as she drives off.

The funeral episode was a disgrace and permanently damaged several characters, but her actual last episode was a masterpiece.

• Members

Hands down the saddest soap moment on daytime for me is Megan dying in Jake's arms on One Life To Live. A beautiful story that was directed, produced, written and acted superbly. Here are some clips:

Pure magic. One of the rare times in daytime were everything is running at top speed with NO weak links. Even the musical scores chosen were perfect.

• Members

I love the Megan stuff, although it's so hard to watch. My favorite part is when she whispers to Andrew, "I love you too." One of the few OLTL deaths in recent years which had meaning.

I also have to include this poem that Natalie read after Jared died. I don't know which clip it was but that just got to me so much, especially the part where she reads, "I will not be dead." That and Charlie's reaction when Jared told him that he had covered up Charlie killing his stepfather, those two scenes were the hardest part of Jared's death.

I wonder if that clip is online where Kat Slater is crying and talks to Charlie about how Zoe was her daughter but had to be raised as her sister. That was the first time viewers had any idea. It was such a harrowing scene.

• Members

Gwyn revealed as the Loving serial killer. The pain and agony of Gwyn is just unbearable, you feel such pain with these scenes, with Christine's performance. A real tour de force and a high point for soaps in recent years. The part I always remember most is Gwyn wailing "I can't bear to see your pain Stacey..." and "I took the armor off my heart and I let hope in..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdqp4lNK6gU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uagg6ZVqDM8&feature=related

Archived