ATWT July 2010 Discussion Thread

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do have to agree. NB is a good fit for Lucinda's daughter. But alas, I can't picture her as Josh & Iva's biological daughter. Martha Byrne was completely believable as the young wealthy socialite AND as the biological child of someone as genuine and rugged as Iva. I personally think Noelle would've made an "okay" Sierra recast.

The only 2 people that have chemistry with Noelle are Maura and Elizabeth. And they can pretty much make ANY untrained actor look tolerable. They're just that good. Kind of like when Judi Evans shared shockingly good chemistry with Jon Hensley. Some actors are just so talented that they can actually save their counterpart's lack of ability.

:o :o You shut your mouth, Greg!! :( :(

Haha; I totally forgot about your lack of Byrne-love. Makes me sad. We could've been such good friends! :P Haha!

SPOILER:

MY BLACKTHORNE HYPOTHESIS: Lucinda hired him to take Craig for all he's worth. It's definitely a move worthy of La Walsh herself; she smirked at any mention of the man when Dusty was around; and hers & Blackthorne's phone calls in Tuesday's episode, however spaced out they aired, mesh perfectly.

• Members

Hi

Longtime ATWT viewer, "first-time" SON poster (I used to be a regular here several years ago-- different name though.)

Anyway, I'm sad to see my favorite soap end, but I'm with the consensus that the show really died long ago. Main reason why I left SON the first time around.

I agree with all of you. I can't believe that the show is ending with the Ciccone women front burner. Worst characters on the show IMO. The only good thing that came out of Janet is that I finally started to become a Carly fan. She was never one of my favorites until then. Now I'm on the MW bandwagon with most of you. :)

• Members

I completely agree with you!

The only scenes that I enjoyed MB's LIly with were her and Lucinda. But then again, La Hubbard can make a lot of people look decent in their scenes with her. ^_^ (Ie. Every Lucy incarnation that JP/CG threw at us.)

Though I will say that, after re-watching some episodes from 2001 on YouTube, I did really enjoy MB as Rose. In those years when Rose was frontburner and Lily wasn't, it was a lot better.

But overall-- and I don't know when exactly it happened (maybe late-90s, 2000?)-- Lily became the most boring character on the show. (Okay, maybe some people will argue that she was always a boring character. :lol:) I think the only reason they killed off Rose instead was because Lily's considered Oakdale royalty and maybe MB had some attachment to the character.

• Members

Though I have to ask: everyone expects Lily and Holden to be together at the end? (This is not a spoiler... just pure speculation.)

Because I just feel like once MB left, the characters' "supercouple" status ended. Personally, I would prefer Holden/Molly at the end... but I feel like Holden/Lily will be the [natural] end result.

And I have to say that I never thought in the end it would be Paul and Emily. I was really iffy about them rehashing the pairing, especially a non-AK/MS version. For a while, I didn't think it worked. Maybe it was the writing though. Now I've kind of warmed up to the RH/KMH version. Nothing can compare with the original, but I'm actually content with the show ending with them together.

btw, glad to see so much Kim today. :wub:

WTF @ this 5,000th version of Chris Hughes? And putting him with Katie? I don't buy that... though the only person I liked Katie with was Simon (and only the first two times. -_- )

• Members

^^^LOL...flove the name. Megan Mullally was the best thing about Will&Grace.

I know it's not that popular of an opinion here...but I still think ATWT has the core needed to go on (unlike GL, which was overwhelmed with bad actors, poor writing and the sucktastic "new production model".) It simply ran out of time. At some point, some IIC gave up and stopped caring. Keeping Pissanante employed proves that.

I love seeing Kim today. The Chris/Katie stuff was stupid. And seriously? Barbara talking to a clown? Today was running on fumes. Which probably negates my entire previous paragraph. But I flove the ol' Warhorse just the same and wish it wasn't ending.

• Members

I feel the same way you do PJ. The show still had so much more in it. It could have lasted much longer. It was nowhere what GL became. But today's show had me scratching my head. It was great seeing Kim again. The Barbara scenes were nonsense. I just cant see Babs losing it that fast and talking to that clown.

• Members

I actually agree. GL had jumped the shark ages ago, and unlike ATWT, it never rebounded. Instead, TPTB allowed certain fanbases to take over. When it got bad, it got REALLY bad. (Unlike ATWT, where even in its worst times, there is always 1 or 2 redeeming things about it. Yes, even in 1996.) The final few years of GL were painful to watch. The cancellation put it out of its misery.

I think ATWT's cancellation is solely because of the soap industry dying off. The only thing that might have saved it is that when HS was ousted as HW that the show have gotten a completely new HW. JP has let the show slowly bleed itself. Am I going to place blame on one individual? Yes, because the drop in quality when JP became co-HW was too noticeable to ignore. When she became the sole HW, it was even worse. (Though the other people in charge definitely deserve blame to for letting it happen.)

The thing that surprises me the most is that, despite everything the TIIC have done to the show in the past few years, there are still good parts about it. And that has to be from good acting and nothing else (certainly not good writing!)

I don't want ATWT to end... and that's the main difference between its cancellation and GL's. I don't even think I cried when GL ended, sorry-to-say. The only thing I was sad about was that I knew it would create a domino effect in daytime.

Good luck to OLTL. Personally, I think it's a bad omen if JP is on your writing staff. Let's hope they don't give EW a job. Talk about the Grim Reaper of daytime. :unsure:

• Members

I felt bad when GL left, but not because I missed what was airing, I missed what had been. I think GL died for me when they killed off Ross. It went downhill so fast after that, it was a travesty. Why someone didn't fire all of the cast under thirty (which was everyone except Marcy Rylan) and buy themselves some GOOD actors who could act is one of the mysteries of it's final years. I cringe realizing the last two years were jam packed with the horrible Daisy and Ashlee's adventures.

• Members

IMO, World Turns improved greatly when Hogan left and Jean was on her own. It wasn't greatness, but it was pretty watchable from mid-2005 through mid-2006. That first year without Hogan was the last time I really enjoyed watching the show every day and followed all the stories.

• Members

I think P&G was always dishonest. It did not matter how brilliant ATWT was. P&G had made their mind up after GL was gone. For years we heard P&G wanted out of the soap business and that They would only continue if they had two soaps on the air. Two soaps to share the costs of some administrative matters. So once they got GL gone they knew right then ATWT was on its way out. I suspect all of the other soaps are now in the same boat. Brian Frons can deny it all that he wants to, but I believe the decision has already been made to kill OLTL. Probably AMC is right behind. I don't believe anything the powers that be say now.

• Members

I think it speaks volumes that, even when my interest in the show was waning, I always kept up with it, and that I always returned to obsessing over it time-and-time again.

Even now, my stomach is in knots thinking that very soon I'll put the TV on at 2PM and ATWT will not be there. :( There was something so comforting about it.

The only thing about GL that made me sad was that it was my grandmother's favorite show. When she died 5 years ago, I remember there was still a glimmer of hope for GL. So many of us were still rooting for GL. But it never came close.

And I still stand by my opinions that, despite having been the #1 soap in the 60s and 70s and having had the greatest soap opera writer as their HW/EP, ATWT has always been one of the most underrated soaps. No other soap has ever come to close to ATWT in my heart. :wub:

• Members

I believe if Goutman and Jean had been replaced about three years ago and CBS amd Televest had just cared about the show and tried to keep it going we wouldn't be facing cancelation now. In an industry that shuffles writers and producers as often as soaps do, Goutman and Jean can be thankful and count themselves lucky to have had a job this long.

I agree with PJ that the core was still there.There were still characters that could have been brought back and a lot of history to be mined.

I can't believe that Jean Passanante is going back to OLTL. It won't surprise me if she gets the HW job. I expect to see Goutman at OLTL too. If not as an EP then surely as a director.

I am loving that we are seeing Lucinda and Barbaa,Bob and Kim a lot now.

Danny Cosgrove might have made a good Bill Lewis but he is no Chris Hughes!

I am sorry I can't share everyone's appreciation of NB. Martha is the only Lily and everybody else but her are just doing a pale imitation!IMHO:)!

• Members

I was one of the people that really enjoyed the first 2 years under Hogan, though I certainly didn't see it as ATWT's "Renaissance" like others did because I think he burnt out really quickly. I think the quality dropped significantly around 2002.

But to each his/her own. :) I think the biggest issue with Hogan was that he obviously had his favorite characters, and the ones that weren't were significantly backburnered... especially the vets. I think they were ignored A LOT more by Hogan than by JP now.

And, you know what? I was actually glad that they got rid of him. But I still think they should used that as an opportunity to get a brand-new HW, and not just let JP have complete control.

• Members

I am still in denial. I can't believe come September 20 there won't be no ATWT on CBS at 1pm. I've pretty much given up on CBS daytime. I had Y&R in the background as noise as I napped and heard the B&B promo about Brooke and Oliver's secret. CBS promoting it and saying this is why B&B is the emmy winner for best soap.....I thought..how low CBS has gone to promote such garbage as good soap.

I agree with all of your post James! BTW...flove your avatar!!

Archived