Which Soap is Next to Go?

• Members

I like the idea of Brad selling B&B to Univision or Telemundo. They'd have to change up some of the cast, and ramp up the OTT drama, but that's no bad thing. And I don't think it necessarily matters what state the show is in now, as it'll need to implement changes anyway in order to appeal to the Latin market. What's more important, as already been said, is how popular it is in said market, and whether or not profit can be made from B&B, if it isn't.

No disrespect, but that's rubbish... to my knowledge, which is pretty darn good. Five were never considering a spin-off, but they were seriously considering buying the rites to the show, and producing it themselves. It had already been done with Baywatch, when ITV financed the shows final season. But, just before the cancellation, Five spent a heap load of money on purchasing Home & Away, which meant they were short on funds for Sunset Beach. They would've done it, too, if it hadn't been for pesky NBC (who still owned the rites to the show at that time) hawking the price up. Talks went no-where, and they were seriously gutted. So instead, they bought Days. Maybe at best, the spin-off was simply an idea thrown about, but no one that was in any serious running.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
They would have to revamp the show, but I don't think Brad/Bells would ever commit to that. Nor would they ever commit to relinquishing any sort of creative control or monetary gain to a parent company.

Don't worry. I'm sure JJ Abrams or some other showrunner fave of yours has some other new show on the Fall Schedule that you can wank over that will yield multiple articles and endgame theories which of course you'll post about and pimp in your avatar.

I had no idea they were considering taking on the show itself. That's surprising. I always heard it was a spinoff.

I never claimed to be a know-it-all.

Given Sylvia's track record, OLTL fans better hope she's confident about her predictions. LOL.

• Members

That's exactly the sticking point, Brad and the Bells have to be committed to the show and that means a creative revamp.

Their committment to the show will really be put to the test over the next year and a half, if they want the show to survive it will. If they aren't in it to win it then B&B will die a swift death. The Bells don't have an excuse with B&B since they own it outright, they can blame Y&R's woes on Sony all the way to the bank, but B&B is their baby, so we'll see how much value they place on it.

• Members
You give a year and a half? Really?

I wouldn't be so concerned if it wasn't for them testing two half-hour gameshows and one hourlong pilot. Yes, the general assumption would be "it's either two game shows or the hourlong talkshow." What if one gameshow pilot tests extraordinarily well, the other show doesn't, but the boss still wants his wife to have a show? Where's the extra half-hour gonna come from?

• Members

Wasn't Sylvia Browne the one who led Katherine and Jill (and Y&R fans) astray on the now-never-happened Phillip/Cane baby switch? Yeah, I'd totally listen to her advice, lol!

Danielle and Starr might if Todd were to move to Pine Valley. Otherwise, the teens might be more-or-less equally divided between AMC and GH, but playing newly created roles, not reprising their ONE LIFE ones.

Archived