Which Soap is Next to Go?

• Members

A foreign partner is the best kind of partner for Brad Bell and really any soap executive who isn't a total assh*le, Brad is lazy, but he's not a bad person...his sister in law, different story.

What makes a foreign partner ideal is that, from my experience, they are far more respectful and collaborative. They don't reinvent the wheel, they realize that everyone has their strengths and are more attuned to working together rather than working against one another as it exists currently on ABC, CBS and NBC.

The key to B&B's survival is all about what Brad is doing NOW, he should be reaching out to the Latin TV networks so that when B&B cancels it the press release can read "B&B ends it's run on CBS on March 23 2011 and debuts on Univision on March 26 2011, stay tuned!"...the transition needs to be instant and smooth.

Thus, when it comes to B&B's survival, it's all about Brad's intent with it, if he wants it to survive, it can. If he doesn't want it to, it won't.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the smartest move would be to move GH into OLTL's timeslot. Filling that hour (between AMC and GH) with non-soap programming would be risky. This way, there's a chance some AMC/OLTL fans will at least "sample" GH if they don't watch that show already.

• Members

LOL. Exactly what Khan says.

I don't think Univision or Telemundo would ever...EVER go for B&B because, aside from the camp factor of the series, I don't see it appealing to the Latino demographic because everyone on the show is white.

If they had made a consciencious effort to keep the Ramirezes and expand on their family, MAYBE I could see Univision or Telemundo wanting to continue the series. But B&B has never been a diversity driven show. Call it whatever you want, but I just don't see B&B(even in simulcasted Spanish) connecting with the Hispanic community.

• Members
I'm still thinking first-run syndication with extremely LOW expectations and a drastic revamp if they can secure at least 70% of the country at the big convention for affils and companies in January.

Think about it: without the constraints of the CBS schedule, MyNetworkTV and CW affils could schedule B&B at 7 or 7:30PM, in direct competition with other news programs and gameshows. Maybe someone at that hour is looking for something different. Can you imagine the teenaged girls that will tune 30 minutes ahead of time to watch Gossip Girl watching B&B(if Brad can draft a good story for them to watch)? Also, what if someone wanted a drama series in late-night when there's already so much talk and off-net sitcoms flooding the airwaves? If Brad can sell it right, he could get a big syndication company(NBC Universal or even CBS Paramount) to distribute the show and off-set the production costs with the agreement of some of the profits from distribution the first two years under the new deal.

B&B, as a half-hour, would be perfect for low-powered affiliates and netlets if they give it at least two years in syndication. Give us a month and a half of reruns and recap shows in mid-July and all of August and start up the first week of September. Weekend recap shows to get viewers up to speed.

That would be the death kneel to GH. :(

Best scenario would be putting AMC in OLTL's timeslot so that opens up the noon hour for that swing newcast(that could work live at Noon or on a delay at 1PM).

• Members
Oh, I was paying attention.

I just find the thought of this lily white, safe show like B&B going to Univision or Telemundo laughable, that's all. Yeah, they could bring on a Hispanic family, work with said network, but at the end of the day, it's Brad's show. If he gets tired of said Hispanic family, well then what? Brooke/Ridge/Taylor Round 10? What are the numbers on Hispanic viewership with respect to B&B? That would be another factor in whether one of those networks would want to pick up the show.

So, my comparison wasn't fitting to you. Fair enough. Moving on...

• Members

I think your idea is a great one and I also agree with your criticism of the Univision/Telemundo idea. I think both are certainly workable ideas because B&B is an existing show that has a built in fanbase which would help sell the show however it's meant to be distributed.

• Members

You weren't. You missed a crucial element.

DaytimeFan and I weren't saying: Transfer B&B as it is to Univision or Telemundo.

We said something else.

Oh, well. It doesn't really matter now that you've managed to pimp GH and pour venom over all else.

• Members

LMAO. When I read some of these more specific predictions, I hear her voice saying them.

Montel: Okay, what about One Life?

Sylvia: Oh, One Life is a goner. It's done.

(gasps from the audience, quick flash to a woman with a "Oh...wow...this [!@#$%^&*] is craaaaazy!" look on her face)

Montel: Really? I see....

Sylvia: Yeah. It's a nobody show! It's a wonder it's lasted this long. Have you seen it lately? But yeah, it'll be the next to go. The last episode will be David Gregory's character and the character's brother doing a production of The Full Monty, 'cept they're gonna call it The Ford Mustang.

(more gasps)

Montel: OK OK OK OK OK OK, Sylvia. Tell me about The Bold and the Beautiful.

Sylvia: Oh, that one's fine. They have nothing to worry about. They'll get kicked off of CBS, but they'll go to syndication and get big ratings on Saturday afternoons. Ronn Moss will reunite with Player and put out a new record. They'll perform at the Super Bowl Halftime Show.

(audience gasps...Montel gives his own "this [!@#$%^&*] is craaaaazy!" look)

Montel: You better listen to her, people! She's good!

Archived