Which Soap is Next to Go?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OLTL, cancelled March 2011, ends December 2011.

DAYS, cancelled in 2012, ends in 2013.

AMC, Cancelled April 2013, ends January 2014.

GH, cancelled and ends in 2020.

The Young and the Restless, cancelled and ends in 2022.

The Bold and the Beautiful cancelled in 2013 in the US, but continues production for international markets, and is made available for US viewing online until 2020.

• Members

What is this, the Sylvia Browne School of Soap Opera Predictions? :P

I have a question though... assuming OLTL is the next soap to leave ABC's lineup, do you think they'd squish AMC and GH together or just fill the gap with non-soap programming? Do you think it would be wise to keep it that way, or do you think they should bump AMC up or push GH back to the 2pm slot (east coast time, not sure when they air in the other times zones)?

• Members

See, I was thinking AMC should keep its 1pm lead-in only because I think of the two, GH with its super faithful fanbase could handle a move the best. I don't think stay-at-homes would mind the move to 2pm, especially if they were already AMC watchers, and the largest audience GH would probably lose is kids coming home from school. BUT, if we're to believe what they tell us, with every passing year, the more likely a kid is to reap the resources of the net and they can always watch their GH online (which is not the same in the numbers game, I realize). I'd be interested in the number of latchkey teens who watch GH on their own and of their own volition every afternoon.

Radical thinking here, but is it at all possible that AMC could actually benefit from a GH lead-in instead? Just talking hypotheticals here, I know a lot of people will get in a huff and think such a suggestion is blasphemy. :P At any rate, I do believe that the soaps should stay smack dab next to each other regardless.

• Members

It's pretty much a given that OLTL will be cancelled in 2011. However, after that, I don't believe that any soap will be cancelled until (at least) 2015. (Well, it is a possibility that one of the remaining soaps may no longer be on network television by then; but, I am specificially predicting that AMC, B&B, DOOL, GH, and Y&R will all be alive on some medium in 2015.) Here's an explanation as to why each of these soaps will still be on the air in five years:

*AMC: Normally, I would say that AMC is a goner within a few years given its horrendous ratings. However, ABC really screwed itself over by moving AMC to Los Angeles: the network really has to keep AMC on the air for at least five years, or otherwise it will never experience any of the cost savings that the move would (or should) give them. (However, I do believe that AMC will be cancelled very shortly after 2015.)

*Y&R: Given where Y&R's ratings are currently, I am nearly 100% certain the ratings declines that happen in the next five years will not be enough to put this soap in danger of cancellation. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Y&R will reach its 50th Anniversary in 2023.

*B&B: While B&B could be gone by 2015, I betting that it will be around due to my projection (based upon historical trends) that it will still be a solid second in the ratings. Even if the demos are not so good, I just don't see CBS cancelling the #2 soap (especially a soap that happens to be Y&R's sister).

*DOOL & GH: These two soaps are currently experiencing terrible ratings, which will get even worse over the next five years. So, at least on paper, one would think that both soaps would be gone relatively quickly. However, DOOL and GH have two extraordinarily powerful things going for them that will be enough to extend their lives by at least five years: First, of course, is the extremely fanatical fan bases that they posses (which no other soaps have ever had). Instead of letting their soaps go away quietly (like GL and ATWT fans did), the DOOL & GH fans will fight to the death before their soaps go off the air. The second powerful thing DOOL and GH have going for them is that they are the beneficiaries of immense soap media bias. Simply put, the remaining soap magazings will go out of business the moment that either DOOL or GH is cancelled. Therefore, the soap press will do everything it takes to keep them alive. In summary, since these two soaps aren't going to go away quietly, I would not at all be suprised if both DOOL and GH are still with us beyond 2020.

• Members
The fact that CBS is even entertaining half-hour and hourlong pilots suggests to me that B&B might not be as safe as people may think. How are we to know that a half-hour Pyramid will be paired with a half-hour Emeril game to fill ATWT's timeslot?

CBS may want their own version of The View, but if Andy Richter hosted Pyramid tests well, they may want both.

What does that have to do with anything? Brad Bell has always said that, despite B&B doing well overseas, the show has to have a domestic, first-run base for the show to stay alive.

Now, something I could very well see Brad doing is either

a.)unsuccessfully shopping the show around to cable or even first-run syndication(to CW/MyNet affils)

b.)creating a cheaper spinoff that would be set and taped in Italy(maybe securing backing from the network that airs B&B there) and have said spinoff revolve around one character from B&B(similar to the way the UK tried to spinoff Sunset Beach when it was canceled in 1999)

c.) As DaytimeFan or someone mentioned on this board once, I could see Brad developing telenovelas for the international market, distributed by BBL.

B&B will never be first-run internationally. I'd be very surprised if that happened. The show has to have a domestic base to continue airing internationally because, as popular as B&B is globally, no network(foreign or otherwise) will want the burden of financially backing a show they don't own. If having international status meant a show wouldn't be canceled, Santa Barbara would be celebrating 25 years of television excellence right now.

:lol::lol::lol:

Jesus, you guys and your bitchery are so awesome!

• Members

IIRC, around the time the show was canceled, either TVGuide or some source online said that Channel5 was in talks to develop a spinoff around one of the Sunset Beach characters because the show was so popular there.

• Members

No way is AMC going to last till 2013/2014 no way, no how

Don't see even these two lasting another 10-12, just isn't going to happen

I don't, AMC has name recognition about it. IMO Frons and co aren't as invested in OLTL. No way they're going to cancel AMC this soon not after packing up and moving to LA.

I do think AMC will be cancelled late next year or at least mid 2012

Archived