Which Soap is Next to Go?

• Members

I keep reading how many think OLTL is the next soap to go, and while I don't rule that out....

Based on what I see in the industry, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think B&B is the next soap to be canceled. Yes, I know it does phenomenally world-wide...but CBS couldn't care less about that. CBS has been very aggressive about dumping its soaps lately, and demographically, B&B is the next weakest soap after ATWT.

Anyway...here's my list of the order, and approximate cancellation dates of each show...

1. B&B (cancelled in 2010, ends in 2011)

2. DAYS (cancelled and ends in 2011)

3. AMC (cancelled and ends in 2011)

4. OLTL (cancelled and ends in 2012)**I know many say OLTL will go first, but unless AMC goes back in front of OLTL in women 18-49, I can't see ABC canceling it before AMC, whether Frons wants it that way or not. It's all about advertising $$$, and OLTL will bring in more than AMC as long as it's above it in that demographic.

5. GH and Y&R (cancelled and end in 2013)

What's your prediction?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DAYS in December. Then B&B or OLTL.

IF NBC wants to get rid of DAYS, they're gonna have to do it when the numbers are still as low as they are now to avoid the controversy when they cancel it. If they're still low during November Sweeps, the show is screwed.

• Members

Right now, my money's on either DAYS or OLTL being the next to go, with DAYS having the slight "edge" on account of being NBC's sole daytime soap. If DAYS goes, however, then OLTL, now the sole NYC-produced soap (ATWT notwithstanding, of course) is sure to follow.

• Members

DAYS or OLTL.

B&B could go too, maybe the Bells should just suck it up and let CBS get full ownership if they want it to stay on the air. That is the only way the international stuff would matter to them.

My pecking order:

OLTL (2011)

DAYS (2011/2012)

B&B (2012)

AMC (2012)

GH (2013)

Y&R (Somewhere between 2013-2015)

But OLTL is usually only .1 or .2 ahead of AMC in the demos. They have to be still getting the same amount of ad dollars IMO. The lead isn't significant enough to warrant an AMC cancellation over OLTL's. I would rather AMC go first, but I just don't see it. I'm not even going to use that name recognition argument, because it really doesn't matter. But they moved AMC across the country, that has to say something about where ABCD's priorities lie.

• Members

Frankly, I don't think it would matter under any circumstances. When the new, Wayne Brady-hosted version of "Let's Make It Deal" premiered in GUIDING LIGHT's old time slot and received more-or-less the same ratings that GL did before its' cancellation, I think that was a sign to the network that they were better off producing much cheaper programming. That's why we're talking about a new version of "Pyramid" replacing ATWT and not even some craptastic, new talk show (no doubt, with Mrs. Les Moonves, Julie Chen, as its' host).

Actually, I think the cross-country move has made AMC more vulnerable to cancellation than ever. But that's just me.

• Members

Care to elaborate? ;)

I thought it made AMC vulnerable becuase I thought they were going to lose more vets than just David Canary, but they didn't so that sort of put it out of my mind. I really don't know whether it'll be AMC or OLTL, but if I had to pick which one they're going to can first it'll be One Life.

• Members

How I think it will go:

All My Children - when Susan Lucci retires

B&B - when Susan Flannery retires, which I think will coincide with the 25th anniversary in March 2012 to allow for Brad Bell to create a proper ending for the show

Days - 2011

General Hospital - estimating 2013 not long after the 50th anniversary

One Life to Live - 2011

Y&R - when Jeanne Cooper and/or Eric Braeden retire

• Members

not to mention they invested alot of money into AMC to transition it into making the move to HD, with the new sets and all. I think this showed a commitment to the show and their interest in keeping it going for as long as possible. OLTL stands out on the network as a sore thumb.

Archived