"Secret Storm" memories.

• Members

Also, concerning Susan (Judy Lewis), there is a lot of misinformation about the cast of The Secret Storm.  (the whole show, not just the Susan character).

o

I watched the show as much as I could.  I began college in August of 1973, and the town in which my college was located did not have a CBS afflliate.    Therefore, I could not watch The Secret Storm.

But, I do not remember that Judy Lewis ever left the show.     It is reported online and probably in some books that Mary McGreggor (or MacGreggor) replaced Ms. Lewis, but I do not remember seeing her in the role.   (Also, it is said that this is not the singer who, a little later in the 1970s had a top forty hit with "Torn Between Two Lovers" but it is odd that this actress and this singer share the same name.    I do know, of course, that co-incidents happen.)     Also, that Diana van der Vlis substituted for Ms. Lewis (which I did not see, either, but that probably happened).

I really do not remember Mr. Loggia in the role of Frank (only Lawrence Lukinbill), but I have known for years that he did play Frank.   i just do not remember.

It is also reported that most of the Ames family had been written off the show (except Amy and her children), but I really do not remember Susan being off the show.   Additionally, Grace Tyrell (Eleanor Phelps) had replaced Marjorie Gates, but she was seen sometimes.    Valerie, although not an original member of the Ames family, was also on the show (with her new husband Dr. Ian Northcoate.

So, if all of this is true (and my memory is somewhat ignorant because I was not getting to watch the show), only Peter and Jerry (and Aunt Pauline) were missing.

I understand that Judy Lewis, at some point, was lobbying for the role of Nicole on The Edge of Night to replace Maeve McGuire.   I do not know this for sure, but I have long felt that Mary K. Wells (who had been Louise #2 on The Edge of Night and Nola Hollister #3 on The Secret Storm) may have encouraged this.  

I also have learned that (This was in the early 1970s) that Haila Stoddard nearly replaced Ruth Warrick as Phoebe English Tyler on All My Children.   Her husband and step-daughter (Whitfield Connor and Erin O'Connor) were employed (or had been employed) by ABC appearing in The Best of Everything.  I do not know if this is why Ms. Stoddard left The Secret Storm or not, but it was probably after she had left the role of Aunt Pauline.

Now, going back to the man in the mustard looking suit above, an idea has come to me.   

There was a district attorney named Ursulla Wintrhop who had a grudge against the Ames family.    She procecuted Susan for the murder of Alan Dunbar.   Ursulla's son was Doug Wintrop (played by Robert Sherwood).   Mr. Sherwood is also known as Bruce Sherwood.    I think it possible that this man is the one pictured.    I seem to think of Doug being younger, but I guess not ....

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I found an article on newspapararchive.com from November 1973 in which Judy Lewis talked about her time on "The Secret Storm". It is said she left the show after 8 years so she probably left in late 1972 (It is said that Susan was on a trip in Europe). She may have left with Loggia who is credited in the role of Alan in 1972 only. I wonder if Susan and Frank left Woodbridge after she was exonerated from Alan's murder. It would make sense.

You must be right about Doug Winthrop. He was involved with Joanna Morrison before she fell for Robert Landers.

• Members

Yes, it is Mr. Ponazecki.

Again, I was aware of the storyline, but I saw little of it because of where I was attending college and the late of a CBS affliate in that town.

I am thinking that he also appeared on The Edge of Night before the show moved from CBS to ABC.  

• 1 month later...