"Secret Storm" memories.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

GOD, I am so happy with all of the little TSS gems popping up these days. Can't wait to turn that up and listen to it as soon as I can. It sounds so crisp and clear, too. Of course, we'd like to see the actual video that goes with it, but if we must make do with just audio, then I'm glad it's in such great quality.

• Members

@safe Bernie Barrow is in this one. 

That's another rare find. So awesome to get to hear these. I didn't know whether they had organ music or not by then. I guess they didn't. The music sounds surprisingly futuristic for a soap. Then again this was the '70s...

I know it's been discussed and I've just forgotten, but what secret was Amy hiding? Was she artificially inseminated? Is that why Valerie (who sounded like she could cut a bitch) was so rattled when that woman was going on about how she would get "AI"?

Was Kevin paralyzed at this point?

• Members

The music for The Secret Storm was, by this time, being provided by Carey Gold.  The show did not use pre-recorded music but rather original music played by Mr. Gold on a variety of keyboard instruments.  I think that Love of Life also employed Mr. Gold for its music.

After Mr. Gold left CBS, he composed the theme song for Ryan's Hope.  I think that he composed the musical cues for that show during its early years.

• Members

I absolutely adore Carey Gold's rendition of the Secret Storm theme. It has a very soft, sweet quality to it, and the music used throughout the episode has the same feeling. It's a great contrast to the harsh organ music that was just about on its way out with the P&G soaps.

How can you not love those delicious little rising sixteenth (I think) notes at the end of the closing theme?

• Members

Yes, Amy was artificially inseminated when Kevin was paralyzed, and somehow without his knowledge (though I can’t remember how that part played out).  Her gynecologist supplied the sperm, unknown to Amy.  Jeffrey Pomerantz played the doctor.

Edited by jam6242

• Members

Thanks. Ugh. I think ATWT did this years later with John Dixon and Carly (although he wasn't the father in the end). So the happy ending was just them reconciling and him being able to walk again, but he still wasn't the father?

Sorry for all the questions. 

• Members

Yeah, the paternity wasn’t changed.  I’m not sure that Amy even learned that Brian (the doctor) was the father.  I know at one point only Brian and his sister, Danielle, knew the truth about that.  I think the baby was also named Danielle.  Kevin had left Amy, thinking she had cheated on him, if I’m remembering correctly.  Though that seems crazy to me now that she wouldn’t tell him that she had been inseminated instead of letting him think she cheated on him.  Kevin had surgery in England, and in the last episode, was waiting on Amy, sitting in a regular chair.  He got up to walk across the room to her, then fell in her arms.  Hopefully someone else remembers and can correct me if I’m wrong.  

• Members

Thanks for the 1973 episode. I know who is playing Amy and Val, but who are the other actors playing the other characters in this episode ?

Too bad Belle did not appear in the episode. I love Marla Adams. I saw the 1968 CBS soaps promo clip with her, but would love to see some footage of the Amy/Belle feud. 

• Members

Thanks again. I wonder if that was a thread they planned to do more with if they'd gone to syndication. It's a shame that didn't happen. Did that Brian character stay around to the end as well?

From the writeup on the video:

AUDIO ONLY of this episode of the fondly remembered CBS Soap Opera which aired from February 1954 to February 1974. In this entry, Dan and Kevin (Bernie Barrow and David Ackroyd) discuss Dan's hoped-for parole; Mark and Laurie (David Gale and Stephanie Braxton) discuss Mark's new job as a parole officer; and Amy (Lynne Adams) receives a surprise baby shower with Laurie, Joanna, Mrs. Post (Sue Ann Gilfillan), Valerie (Lori March) and Lisa (Judy Safran) in attendance

For some reason I thought Jada was playing Amy again by this time. Clearly not.

Edited by DRW50