May 17-21, 2010

Toups

• Members

Survivor was a phenomenon in its first few years; it's surprising that the show even got 14 million after ten years on the air.

The soaps managed to keep solid ratings for many years until the past 10-15 and the more they kept running away from their fans the more the ratings dropped. I think that soaps have lost viewers because they have become so horrible moreso than just viewers finding other alternatives. There were other alternatives in the 80s yet the soap ratings were still decent.

I think Sunset Beach started in early 1997, when AW was still on. I remember how people would argue about whether SuBe or AW should be canceled and which one deserved to stay and all the rest. It wasn't a difficult decision for NBC -- they dumped both.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, Sunset Beach was on when Another World got the yank. As AW is my all-time fave daytime soap, I along with many others were not happy with NBC dumping the higher rated of the two because Sunset Beach had Aaron Spelling attached and the 'youth market' mentality. NBC was boycotted by a whole-lot of people when AW ended and Sunset Beach's already low ratings tanked even lower as a result. If I remember right, even DAYS tanked to 2nd to last during that time, partly due to the boycott immediately after.

• Members

The GH story is atrocious. No wonder they lost viewers last week, and I expect they will lose more this week. Michael has not had his first kiss yet, but they've had him involved in shooting his father's girlfriend and killing his step-mother after waking from a year long coma, put in prison and possibly raped by a male inmate. And again, has never had a girlfriend or onscreen kiss yet. This is the story GH wants to attract young viewers? Not parties at the pool or even karaoke for the hundreth time?

Also, don't know how much of a factor is was, but some of the Jason/Elizabeth fanbase hosted another blackout GH week. Perhaps they were successful yet again?

• Members

The ratings tend to fluctuate but I wonder about viewer reaction to Carly's "revenge" plan, the bizarre return of Brook Lyn, and the deadly dull Lulu/Dante. Their big sex scene tanked in the ratings, not a great indication that viewers enjoy them.

Archived