Mariah's New Song

Sylph

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I didn't like the song. At all. It's too country.

But I wouldn't say it's her usual fare of breathy, whispery vocals. I'd actually say it's stronger than most of the things she did recently.

And I had to :lol: when I read about Angels Advocate! I knew it was going to be binned. :lol:

• Members

I think the vocals are alright, really not a fan of the song, but I guess it fit the movie. I wish Mariah, though, would remember how to really interpret a song again--she seems to kinda phone in the same three or so styles of performance no matter what the lyric/song.

• Members

It's...OKAY! Not mindblowing, but not bad either. I'd love a full album of this stuff though. Kill the rappers and do a full album of slow-tempo covers. Accept your fate, take your "I Beat Elvis" record and focus on making money off old people who actually go to Wal-Mart and Barnes and Noble and buy CDs.

As I said before, E=MC2 is my favorite of the "Mimi" era because of her best and most true ballad on that album, "I Wish You Well." Probably the best thing she's ever released from the Mimi era. Her vocals are wrecked and she'll never be able to go back to where she was. But I Wish You Well seemed so real and personal. It didn't have some sort of extra beats(i.e. We Belong Together, which isn't actually a ballad, neither is the gagworthy Bye Bye) nor was it some boring cover slapped together because she expected die-hards who remember her in her early days to come back(like the sh*tty I Wanna Know What Love Is cover).

• Members

Oh, I hate I Wish You Well. Actually, sctratch that: I am indiffeent. The jazz bar piano backing, the whispery vocals (those are whispers and breathy vocals)... It's a recitative of sorts. Not my thing.

I am actually surprised you liked E=MC^2, it doesn't seem like your sort of thing, bellcurver. I could've put my hand in the fire believing you said previously that The Emancipation is your favourite album. Without We Belong.

• Members

SACRILEGE! Love, love, love "I Wish You Well." I asked one of my friends(a devout Mariah Carey follower) who she thought Mariah may have been referring to. I want to think it was about her sister, Allison. My friend thinks it's about Mottola. Nonetheless, I just really liked it because it was the slowest thing she'd done since Mimi and it was just really good.

Mimi sucked SOOOOOOOOOO bad. UGH! SOOOOOOOO bad. I think that was the first Mariah album where I was 100%elly disappointed. Loved Say Something and We Belong Together was okay, but nothing to write home about. I prefer the remix. And So Lonely(One and Only Part II). The rest of that album can just die.

E=MC2 was pretty much a ripoff of Mimi, but there was more variety. Love Story was good and Touch My Body was dumb and totally non-Mariah, but fun. Thanx For Nothing was good and For The Record makes me remember that ridiculous perfume commercial where I just died laughing after seeing it for the first time. E=MC2 was just more...fun.

Her last GREAT effort, IMO, was Charmbracelet. LA Reid reined her ass in when she signed to Island/DefJam and made sure she released an album that was just safe. Which is exactly what Mariah is as an artist and needs to be. More albums like the ones pre-Butterfly would be greatly appreciated. I know we'll never get those spectacular vocals again, but it would be great to have some decent lyrical content with great musical arrangements.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived