ATWT: May 2010 discussion thread

• Members

I didn't like Carly at the beginning of her run. I don't think Douglas Marland got to write for her but he did create the character. I remember that long dreadful hair Maura West had at the time....lol. Then she had the short tomboy hair that was even worse on her....lol. I couldnt stand Carly and Jack at that time...lol

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can accept criticism of Carly. If she's simply not someone's "cup of tea", fine. But laying the blame on ONE character for the demise of the show is misguided, to put it politely. Personally, I'd blame the "suits" who decided that it was more "efficient" to tell stories in a bubble, sell "shock" instead of character development and to hell with concepts like "fallout" and "consequences". Not to mention a certain fascination with hiring ex-ABC actors, whether or not they fit the role they were hired for.

• Members

I thought he had invented her, too, but then I read she came to Oakdale three years after he died. Not to say he didn't create her. No, I take that back. I really would like to think he didn't create her.

Do you really think you have a chance of convincing me that she wasn't the beginning of the end, that she wasn't emblematic of the suckiness.? You hate who you want, I'll blame who I want. I am so [!@#$%^&*] sick of soap operas, I really don't give a [!@#$%^&*]. And that goes for all of you Carly fans. I want to vomit every time I think of the word "Jarly." Vomit, I say. Vomit.

• Members

Actually it started with Douglas Marland's death. The show was never the same. The SW left and Laurence Caso didnt know what to do with ATWT. The show became a boring mess with lots of vets on. John Valente became EP and that was the REAL end of ATWT as he fired vets left and right and put his awful stamp on ATWT.

• Members

I think if Robert Calhoun had been EP at the time of Douglas Marland' death...he would have hired a capable HW who somewhat understood ATWT and helped him/her out with his EP brilliance. The show might have not gone off track as much had all that happened.

• Members

Carly debuted in 1995 two years after Marland died. Since he did such long term story projections (often more than a year in advance) he probably did create her.

As long as we're clear. Y'know, please don't feel obligated to opinionate on a genre you "hate". I've got four months to enjoy what I can of the end. I'm more than a little sick of ignorant dickwads who throw out digs hoping to stir up something. But thank you though, for reassuring me that no matter how much I loathe characters like Janet or Craig, I can step back from hating all their fans. Though whothefuck "Jarly" is is a bit of a mystery.

• Members

Bumping back up to the first page.

Eh...Monday's episode was okay, minus Janet and Liberty.

Even Craig was tolerable (I seriously want to see him take a polygraph...since I wouldn't trust him if he told me the sky was blue.) Tom even amused me with his zingers on Craig.

I seriously loved the Carjack stuff. Even if Carly was lying to get Jack out of the house, she said some things that needed to be said about Jack's "need" to supervise BabyMomma's every breath. And I can't help but feel sorry for Parker, who seems a lot more genuine in his remorse than Craig.

Looking forward to seeing Babs and Henry tomorrow.

Archived