Eric83

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I remember. That was Season 2. Dwayne kissed Whitley in the back seat of her car. He was pissed that they were stuck. Whitley through out her spare tire because it was too ugly. While they waited in the back to keep warm Dwayn kissed her. The rest of season 2 he made it clear he liked her but she was afraid to ruin their friendship and ended up with Julian instead.

I liked Julian but I thought he should have been with Jaleesa or Kim.

• Members

Their first kiss was Season 2. Had the episodes wrong. I don't know why I get them mixedd up so much.

They really should put this series up for sale. I'd buy it. I wish they would do another show like this.

Edited by Leia

• Members

What's funny is how forgotten and tucked away this show has been since it left the air. The show was a huge hit, for the most part, when it originally aired. Now, a lot of people don't even know The Cosby Show had a spin-off.

What's interesting too is that A Different World rated higher The Cosby Show in black viewers for almost all of the seasons they ran together originally.

But I've come across people who think of A Different World as a "black sitcom" and they don't think of The Cosby Show in that same vein. :mellow:

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

There are a lot of shows that were highly rated but then forgotten afterwards, especially if they are rarely seen again. ADW actually had some runs on major cable channels, whereas I don't know if Chico and the Man, Maude, Falcon Crest, etc. did (I guess Falcon Crest had a few years on Soapnet).

• Members

I read in a forum years ago that Falcon Crest was rerun on what is now Lifetime years before I had cable. Maude has never done well in syndication and Bea Arthur attributed that to the dated topical nature of the show. This is why she resisted similar storylines and references on The Golden Girls. Frankly, I love all of those "dated" references, many of which went over my head as a kid, but to me that's only made the show more enjoyable as I've gotten older... a bunch of new laughs.

Chico and the Man was shown on the American Life Network a couple of years ago, and I think a little while on TVLand before that. But yeah, not a big syndication hit but I think that has a lot to do with the nature of Freddie Prinze's death.

• Members

That's interesting. I mean, TCS was a family sitcom and ADW was a college sitcom, of course it was a black family and a black college which by TV standards is certainly unique. But I hope "black sitcom" isn't some sort of pejorative. :mellow: I think, I KNOW white viewers can relate and they were obviously watching, but of course the show (like Good Times) dealt with issues that were specific to the show's setting. Of course, a lot of those "Very Special Episodes" could have happened on Degrassi too. What made the show black was its flavor moreso than its content, just like Friends was a "white" show though no one would ever call it that. ^_^

• Members

That is exactly why I think those people Y&RWT mentioned in his post consider ADW a black sitcom and not the TCS.

It had a certain flavor to it, whereas The Cosby Show was more of a universal sitcom that looked beyond race.

However I consider both black sitcoms either way.

Edited by Eric83