AMC: Actor tapes his last scenes

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I don't think so either. But eventually we'll all have to say goodbye to our favorites. That's the circle of life. These actors and characters can't go on forever. I know one day, Susan Lucci will retire and I'll have to say goodbye to Erica. This makes me sad. :(

• Members

A wave of sadness came over me reading that. I pray that he has several splashy returns, like Phil Carey yet next level. As long as Mr. Canary is on this earth and willing, there's no reason why we shouldn't see Adam at least twice a year.

• Members

As much as I'd love to jump on the Frons hate bandwagon again, Canary hinted he was ready to go before the cast was told about the move last year (remember too one reason Stuart was killed off was to lighten his workload--odd cuz it really didn't). He prob woulda remained on recurring at least for a while in NYC, but I think he really was ready to retire. I'll miss him terribly.

?? His appearance numbers was really high the last couple of years, even if the storylines were increasingly not about him (there was that period when Frons first came in though where he seemed to be getting ignored)

• Members

I don't know the appearance numbers but I can't remember the last time Adam was a strong onscreen presence. Starting from around 2002 or 2003, and especially when Jacob Young and Bobbie Eakes and Alexa Havens came in, I think Adam's seemed increasingly irrelevant. And Stuart basically disappeared, then you had Adam/Annie that made Adam even weaker. I have to wonder due to the budget issues and whatever else if he and Ray McDonnell would have been retired even without a move to LA.

• Members

I think they would be.

Not all actors want to work to their death. Some do actually retire after a lifetime of hardwork and enjoy growing older, esp if they have a family.

I dont think DC would be retiring right now had the show stayed in NYV but i doubt he would have stayed on much longer.

• Members

Wow, so he isn't going to be around for Palmer's funeral?

The last five years or so have been brutal on AMC with regard to cast. Phoebe, Myrtle, Dixie, Brooke, Joe, Ruth...it isn't even Pine Valley anymore. :(

David Canary was one of the best actors in all of daytime. AMC was so lucky he dropped in their lap. I hope DC does whatever it is he wants now, but I hope what he wants is to continue acting in some capacity somewhere. Maybe the theater. If he was a couple hundred pounds heavier, he would have made a great Big Daddy.

• Members

He has mentioned wanting to do some theatre, but it sounds like he also is happy to just spend more time with his family. Carl, you're right he was less of a presence, but he still made a LOT of appearances... I know it's easy to blame the current ABC regime, but I honestly think they would wanna keep DC if they could.

Quartermaine, he will be there for the funeral--his exit is the next week I think.

Ray McDonald was used less and less though--but I got the impression that was kinda the actor's decision too. He's never really seemed like one of those driven actors who wants to act till his dieing day anyway (the way Eileen H, for one example, did--AMC really seemed to be her family--that seemed less true of these men). I think as soap fans sometimes we forget that many actors DO want to retire...

• Members

Co-sign. Honestly, I don't have the words for this. I know he's leaving but on my screen, I cannot make the connection. I hope AMC realize what an impact his leaving is going to make. As Khan said, David is more than just an actor.

• Members

ITA. I think that the move to LA may have moved up David's retirement, but it was going to happen. ABC would have kept David they would he was willing to commute to LA. His health is clearly not what it used to be as he has been looking increasing fragile the last two or three years. I'm sure that David wants to have more time to do the other things that he loves and to be with is family. Not a lot of people get to retire on their own schedule and comfort. David is a lucky man. I wish him well.

Archived