OLTL: Discussion for the week March 29

• Members

The main difference I find between Karen and Langston is that Karen's story was about her self-loathing. She had hated herself for much of her life and had felt inferior to Jenny, she acted out to compensate and then this just spiralled out of control. There are those great scenes on Youtube where Karen tells Viki that when Jenny was taken hostage, Karen should have been the one to be taken hostage, because she's always been bad. They also made sure that Karen was disgusted with herself and was being degraded, that this was not fun for her.

What is there with Langston that makes her want to do this? They just seem to tell us, "Well, Ford is so hot, and Markko is meaningless." They have Ford spout a few lines about Langston having a dull life which doesn't really match up to her actual backstory or her current life in Llanview. Then most of the story ends up being about how hot Ford is supposed to be and how he doesn't like to wear shirts and he drives women crazy. It's like we are supposed to get a thrill out of Ford being a sleaze. There is no little remorse from Langston and the undertone of the story is that of course she would want Ford, because Markko is not worth the fuss.

If Karen's story were about Karen being an idiot, Larry being a loser, and Marco being a stud then I don't think it would have had the same audience response.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't mind the stuff with Rex being unrelated to Mitch. Possibly because I never liked that rewrite in the first place but I thought Ilene did a wonderful job with her scenes. I hope this won't cause Roxy to be written out but it's not like being a blood relative makes it more likely you will stay so she might still get to be in Rex's life and of course Natalie's life.

I also loved that they didn't really try to cast younger women or make the camera too shiny in those flashbacks, it worked better that way. I was happy to see Dr. Joplin again for a few minutes. I thought she was an interesting character, I hated when she committed suicide thanks to Todd.

• Members

I found her an appealing character too. I dunno though--I admit I watched the show today while doing some work, but I was just thinking how completely uninvested in any of what's going on. In about 2 weeks it seems I just don't care at all--like everything feels off to me, the pacing of scenes even with characters I don't mind seems off.

And Carl you're completely right about why the Karen story was diff than Langston--add to that of course that we didn't even see a tiny bit of buildup with Langston and this story-with Karen there had been tons (and she was looked down upon by many people--really nearly everyone just excentuated her feelings of not being good enough for a long time--it was a self profilling prophecy, and very astute psychology-).

• Members

I don't think we're meant to be fine with it, exactly, but that the writers really don't know what they want, where audience loyalties are supposed to go or anything. But the fact that Star reamed Langston out means they don't want us to be sympathetic to it exactly, but.... (As the Carlivati video interview proved, they have no idea)

• Members

I think this is a valid point. I don't think this Langston story has anything to do with a racist agenda, etc, and I think people can be on here too quick to see an agenda behind anything they don't like (that said I'm not saying it's not suspect that so many of the firings have been minority roles). But, I don't think in an earlier era we would have all accepted the Langstn plot as a perfectly fine sexual soap story. It has poor character motivation, among other problems.

I also think you're right that the execution is, more or less fine--but it's gotten to the point where even the crap stories seem to have no idea where they're going or what they're about, that makes the show, despite execution, just very "meh" to watch. IMHO.

• Members

Yes, it's the lack of character motivation that probably gets me the most in some of these stories. I know that's very "me too" but I feel like that is what has really damaged this Langston story.

I will say I think the show has done a good job with Viki's absence, especially dropping in the pre-taped phone call.

• Members

I think Langston's motivation is what it is, honestly. She's young, she's confused, she doesn't know what to do with her life and she's caught between natural youthful impulses towards freedom and her pent-up neuroses over her issues with home and safety after the loss of her parents, and how she's let herself be cocooned in life with Markko, Starr, Cole and the Cramers. I thought they illustrated that well before she fucked Ford. Now she's somewhat unsympathetic, yes, but I think if some of us were in similar life situations viewed from the inside of a TV we'd be seen the same way - someone would say I or Eric or someone else was being thrown under the bus, when in fact, if I'm in that situation IRL (not that I am, mind you, this is just a hypothetical), then I'm probably just being a dick because I, like Langston, want what I want when I want it, for illogical, human reasons. That happens. It happens all the time.

Nobody on soaps gets to have sex anymore just to have sex; no one gets to have an affair just to have one, because they aren't getting it right or getting it enough from the person they're supposedly committed to, or because they just find someone else irresistible. It used to happen all the time on daytime. It rarely happens today without a built-in excuse; so-and-so cheated first, we were drugged, I was hallucinating and thought he was my husband, it was mind control. Blah, blah, blah. Langston has no excuse, she fucked a very attractive man who happens to be a jerk, so she is scorned. But it doesn't really bother me. It happens all the time, and it used to make for decades of good soap opera. I don't think this is a very good story, but what I do enjoy about it comes primarily from Langston and BU's nuanced performance. She is selfish, she's mercurial, she's fucked up but she is very real to me. It reminds me of what soaps used to allow of their characters, to stumble, even if this isn't very well-executed.

I don't think the show wants us to dislike Markko; we are clearly supposed to feel bad for him, but the door is left open to understand Langston's illogical choices, or at least begin to parse them, as well, without excusing what she's done. You're asked to not turn your back on either person, I think, and I don't. I understand why people do, since the story is not exactly Doug, Julie and Addie, or even Dorian and Mark Toland, but I still don't see either character being presented as some horrible drip for which no sympathy is to be permitted. The question is how the character of Lang comes back from her mistakes, but in that respect, I have little faith that anyone at the network has enough investment in either Langston or Markko to spend the time. I think Carlivati likes Langston, but I think someone either there or above the show decided long ago that those two were sidekicks, period, and I wonder if this is their last rodeo. I guess we'll see.

• Members

Back in the eighties and nineties, soaps weren't afraid to take a moral stance. Now, barely the basic moral stances get covered, and at the expense of characters anyone likes or respects. Anyone taking an ethical stance is either a hypocrite, a laughingstock, or a strawman to be shot down. Nora won fans when she risked her law career to throw the Marty rape trial. She at least anguished over trying to give Bo a child with Sam in the cabana. Now, she kidnapped her son and cheated on Clint with barely batting an eye. Viki had standards and was firm in them...now she changes based on what character they want propped today. What causes, beliefs, or even interests do Gigi, Jessica or Natalie have outside of their current love interest? Even spunky Starr has lost virtually all her personality, all about her relationship with Cole. Even the Disney channel sitcoms have better developed characters.

• Members

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: an audience will go just about anywhere you want them to with a particular character, but you must take the time to get them there. That's my problem w/ Langston's current dilemma; I can't "buy" it, b/c RC decided to skip some valuable steps and cut straight to the shock value inherent in the story (i.e., Lang-Lang's cheating on Markko w/ Ken Ford).

• Members

It's mess up the only way for Layla & Cristian to get any air time is when Blondie comes into the picture. Why would Christian want to get involve with that mess of a character? She cheated on him with Will. Messica had a chance to treat another Vega better then the last one & she couldn't do that. She was having sex with Nash in the rain & the fire. Why would Christain want to go through that. I know there going to be a White Knight waiting in the wings to save her from her Latin Lover like she save Christian from his blackie.

My point I love that scene with Layla & Christian yesterday. Christian be a fool to get with Messica. I can see him going back to Natalie. But to Messica & her issues.

• Members

Layla/Cristian :wub:

He would be a fool to give her up for a lunatic.

Ilene Kristen continues to rock.

Langston is so naive and stupid. I hope she ends up with an STD when all is said and done.

GONORRHEA OUTBREAK STRIKES LLANVIEW U! :lol:

Schuyler trying to comfort Sierra Rose as Fish watches. :(

[!@#$%^&*] YOU FRONS! :angry:

Archived