Best Exits ever

• Members

We often talk about some of the truly terrible exits some characters have had over the years, but what characters had really great exits on both daytime and prime-time soaps? In my opinion these really stand out:

--Cynthia Watros as Annie on GL in 1998 pushing Reva off the plane was superb.

--Sheila fleeing town with Mary after shooting Stephanie on B&B. That scene where Sheila sang a lullaby to Mary as she drove off into the night was extremely haunting.

--Afton on Dallas dumping Cliff right after he got rich!

--Ivan winning the lottery on Days and taking Vivian with him to tour the world.

--Laura driving away to die on Knots Landing.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Daytime doesn't often have great exits, but a few cool ones come to mind.

On GH Cesar Faison was in a boat on the foggy docks and as he was pulling away he told Luke his dead son was alive. Luke was shocked and wanted more info, and then presto--Cesar's boat exploded, body never recovered.

Also from GH, years ago Jason's mother Susan was home alone humming "tonight, tonight, won't be just any night..." and with that she took two bullets and was dead just in time to start a murder mystery.

• Members

Laura's exit was very hard to watch -- she had been so brave and then she began to cry as she drove away :(

A few:

Clare on Hollyoaks. The red shoes in the airport. This was ruined with her return, but oh well.

Kim Tate on Emmerdale, bludgeoning her son in law to get all the money, then leaving town with her baby son in a helicopter, and as she went by, various sets of characters (the Dingles, the Sugdens) looked up at the sky).

OB on Hollyoaks. That goodbye really broke my heart, as OB's best friend Max had just died. Then little Tom, who was like a son/younger brother to OB, said "I love you." Then, after OB walked away, they showed an old carving that Tom, OB and Max had put in one of the storefronts.

One Life to Live, Megan. My favorite part was always when she whispered to Andrew, "I love you too."

• Members

Abby and Brian singing 'Don't Worry Be Happy' as they drove away in the limo leaving Knots Landing.

Didn't see it, but I imagine that Nancy Marchand's Therese Lamont sitting alone in her wheelchair on Iris' terrace singing 'Bye Bye Blackbird' as the camera pulled out and faded to black as she died must have been pretty powerful stuff.

Stone on GH. "Robin, I see you, I see you!"

• Members

Oh, I had somehow forgotten the most heartbreaking part of OB's exit. When he leaves, he looks back one last time, and he sees Max standing in a doorway, sort of smiling at him. Then poor Steph, Max's widow, looks over to what OB is looking at, but the vision is gone. It's a beautiful little moment.

• Members

The Dog fire deaths were also good exits. The saddest was poor Joe. They had him out at dinner with his ex girlfriend, he was about to reconcile with her, you could hear his ring tone on his phone. Then later, after the fire, Zoe called his phone to see where he was. She could hear it ringing...and it led her to a body bag :(

• Members

Yes, that was very, very good. And she began screaming as she neared the end and she knew what was going to happen -- yikes.

I also loved Jessica's exit, when she conned Darren out of their gambling winnings and left town in a cab.

Tina's death also had a good scene. The McQueens were all being held prisoner at the church by Niall and then it blew up. Myra was running around screaming "WE ALL MADE IT!!!" and then Dom walked out carrying Tina's body.

Hollyoaks being better at exits than the rest of the story may be part of their problem...

• Members

Y&R used to do very dignified, open ended, exits, often involving characters going into an elevator and then the doors closing and then fading to black. They did that for Alex Donnelly's Diane Jenkins which I loved, they had this semi-tragic instrumental music playing, it was just perfect.

I really liked Iris Cory's 1994 exit from AW, after taking off her jewellery to go to jail for attempting to murder Carl she looked at Rachel and said "Life is too short for regrets" with a smile on her face as she walked off, uncuffed, to prison.

Kim Tate's exit from Emmerdale was great too, she'd beat her crippled son in law over the head, stolen what seemed to be millions of pounds, got her baby, hopped into a helicopter and flew over everyone who hated her. What was cool was that the character's name when she entered the show was Kim Merchent, but when she left, she proudly told the pilot that she was Kim Tate. Being a Tate really meant something to her and now she finally had the money and the freedom to back the name up.

Women tend to get better exits in soaps because they often leave scandalously or with a bang...most male characters are either killed off as heros or murdered because they were so evil.

• Members

Mad Maya had a great exit on Corrie. She blew up all of Dev's businesses, then while he was trying to save them, she went into his home and kidnapped his "sniveling" wife, Sunita. She tied her up and then tied Dev up in the last building. When they were saved just in time, she was enraged, and drove her sports car towards Sunita. Sunita got out of the way and Maya crashed into a storefront window. She pulled into reverse and was going to try again, but then a semi crashed into her car. She's not dead though, so there's still a chance!

Chris Tate's exit from Emmerdale was very memorable. He poisoned himself and framed his cheating wife Charity for it.

And Frank Tate's exit from Emmerdale. His wife Kim had faked her death. She snuck into the house to get their baby. He saw her, and keeled over from his third heart attack. Kim checked her makeup over his nose, just to make sure he wasn't breathing.

For American soaps, I would have to mention Alex's first exit from OLTL in 1997. It was very true to her character and was a reminder of what she and Carlo were before they became so boring and unpleasant. I also loved her goodbye strip video for RJ. Let's not talk about her pointless returns.

Archived