AMC: Brief SOD Spoilers

• Members

How can a story like this not suck?

It's not about having faith in someone, the last thing the Chandler's needed was another one of Adam's illegitimate children, especially if he's younger than JR or Colby, since we know Adam wasn't shacking up with anyone strange during those time periods. And with Adam on his way out soon, what's the use of giving him another child if there won't be any significant aftermath for such a story decision with David Canary gone soon?

The only way for a story like this to happen would require a bloody rewrite, and in which case, the audience would still be taken for idiots.

Hopefully, though, this kid can be Ross's kid or something, as someone else mentioned.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hope the long lost son doesn't turn out to be that vampire mouth, Damon.

ETA: I'm getting strong vibes that it's him. I mean, he broke into Adam's house..remember when he picked up that box and put it back? Hmm. And also, he looks like his name could be Miguel, he looks sort like he's of hispanic descent, and I see somewhat of a resemblance to J.R. (mostly the eyes. piercing.). It could be Damon. Maybe the mother is related to the Santo's family, and that could be also why Damon broke into Wildwind?? Maybe it's not Damon, and whoever the robber is, is the one whose Adam's son. Just a thought.

• Members

Yes, Lorraine loves her baby switches, AMC, ATWT, and OLTL had them when she was at those shows.

Though, this upcoming story, judging from what's given to us, makes no sense. Adam Chandler produced another illegitimate child probably younger than JR and maybe even Colby? When the hell did this happen and with who?

If this is all Lorrine's doing, then it's very disappointing.

• Members

I admit I've only read through this thread, lightly... but I didn't see (and hope not) that anyone's comparing Lorraine Broderick to McTavish, Pratt, or B&E.... We all know there is no comparison there.

But we have to keep in mind that Carrruthers is, too, involved in the longterm story plans. It may be dictated beyond Broderick's control that someone be Adam's long-lost son. Remember, she is not a permanent head writer. But if anyone can take a badly-received idea and make something compelling out of it (1997 Erica's baby-knapping... badly perceived but undeniably powerful and emotional, anyone?), it's Broderick.

So, in spite of a development that will generate mostly ":rolleyes:" from viewers, I won't expect it to "suck," and I'm sure it will generate some great scenes.

• Members

I'm not trying to put down Lorraine Broderick. As a few have said, there's also Carruthers. Or Frons. That seems more their style. I wasn't anywhere near as bowled over by Lorraine's AMC work in the 90s as some are (or her ATWT work), but the long lost child thing isn't quite like her.

• Members

My problem is that it seems like they're just going to "invent" the whole thing for no other reason then to save JR. I'm sure the mother is someone not on the canvas. Someone we've never met, nor heard about. It's like a double "huh", if you ask me. At least if we know the mother (I am assuming we don't, but I don't believe that we've seen anything that indicates that she is someone we know of) it would make it all a bit more palitable. This way, it's just like, "oh look there was this brother we never mentioned before and after a few scenes where he saves JR never will again...yay, isn't that clever."

It just reeks of nothing more then a simple lot point on the surface. Hopefully there's more to it than that.

• Members

On the other hand, I don't think it's fair to suggest a viewer is afflicted with "blind faith" simply because they're not already grabbing another shovel and joining-in on digging AMC's grave over this development. This isn't an unabortion.

Though I kept myself up to date on the stories, I pretty much stopped watching AMC altogether from the Spring of last year until a couple weeks ago. I found it intolerable (the same way I did and stopped tuning in between the Maddens / Pancakes on through to the announcement of Angie & Jesse's return). I would try to sample it here and there throughout last year and nothing was worth it for me to stay tuned. Two weeks ago it became interesting to me again, because of what is coming through on the screen. That's not blind, it's just not jaded, either.

• Members

Yes, on paper this sounds totally nonsensical. They keep claiming that they're returning to character-driven stories, but all I see is plot, plot, plot in a story involving Adam having to have given up one of his kids. The same Adam who fought like gangbusters for custody of Junior? The same Adam who went to the ends of the world to protect Skye? I like Lorraine. She's an intelligent writer with heart, so maybe this will play out better than it sounds at first glance. I've got to tell you...this show drives me insane. Almost everything since 2006 has been a trainwreck, and just when it starts to get some positive buzz with Pratt leaving and Lorraine returning, this is the first story she comes up with? It's almost as if they lulled the fans into a false sense of security, and then tell us, "Gotcha!"

• Members

Not like B&E, Pratt, McTavish did any better especially with Zendall shoved down our throat 24/7. :rolleyes:

Maybe this will turn out better then it sounds. Remember the one who typed it just did a brief summary. Maybe there is more to this. We will have to find out and hope for the best.

I am happy that we get more Greenlee/David! :wub:

• Members

Well, we haven't seen the story play out yet. And we don't know if this plot development is still Pratt's doing. I've come to learn that everything is politically driven at ABC and everything that eventually makes it on air is a compromise between corporate and production. So who knows where this story came from. If it is wholly the vision of Lorraine, then yes, it's a bit disappointing. But we'll see how it's executed and explained.

• Members

I imagine its all on Lorraine. I mean, I think we are at a point in time where even one of the more respected writers left in this industry isn't immune from this type of plot-driven storytelling. It can't all be blamed on the writer.... alot of it most certainly can, but I think one of the reasons Lorraine refused to take over the permanent position of HW is mainly due to the fact there are several different fingers in the pie.... that's the root of daytime's problems and in the end will be the catalyst for its downfall.

Network head, EPs, head writers, actors.... and yes even fans still are there..... its alot of cooks in the kitchen.

Archived