AMC: Brief SOD Spoilers

• Members

As much as actors have mentioned her and praised her in the press recently, I do doubt we'll be getting an interview with her. For one, while she has been accessible, she has never been eager to constantly talk to the press like, say, Pratt and McTavish have historically been. My take is that she's not interested in the exposure. But beyond that, I doubt ABC wants her speaking for the show. As so many have said, they don't want viewers to get used to the idea that she's leading the team. They want us "ready to embrace" Kreizman & Swajeski when they arrive.

I would LOVE to, maybe one day in the future, hear Broderick's take on what her experience has been behind the scenes. When you consider that she has now twice passed on being AMC's head writer (at least in the permanent sense), it makes you curious even more. Most daytime writers are so open about their eagerness to "receive glory" for "saving the show" that "they know better than any other" - even in spite of repeated failure (see the 5x-fired McTavish). But LB was like, "awww HELL NO!" .... "Okay, I'll come back to help clean up this mess, but I aint workin' for YOU and falling under the bus for YOUR crap." (Sorry, just my Lorraine-with-attitude fantasy there!)

Okay, that element I can understand. I was speaking more in terms of, irreversible damage and monumentally offensive as the unabortion story came off (case in point, if Erica had to have a son, it would have been FAR more preferable to have him be Kendall's long-lost-and-forgotten twin).

As a catalyst, the Adam story may turn out lame. But I doubt it would ever rise to those levels of disgusting.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, I know. That is what I was saying. I do not expect her to give it. Absolutely no. Even if she wanted, I think Frons would sanction it. The interview is not the only way to know for sure something came from her, but would be an excellent and widely available source to which to link to.

• Members

I wouldn't say I wasn't a fan of hers. I think she did some incredible work in her 86-89 solo stint (well, 86-87 as co-HW with Wisner). Yes, there were some major clunkers, most notably the whole Silver/Damon thing, but overall her stories were incredibly strong. My biggest problem with that stint is that there were so many stories. Front burner stories rarely appeared more than 3x a week, and because there were so many stories going on simultaneously, there wasn't much crossover and there were glaring day-to-day continuity issues. I wonder how much of that was then-EP Steve Schenkel's influence. But most of her stories were truly riveting and smartly written. There's also a warmth to her writing that she definitely inherited from Agnes and Wisner. That was a great time for the show. I loved, loved, loved the early part of her second go-around--under FMB. Janet/Pierce/Laura, Laurel/Trevor/Mike Delaney, Liza/Tad (for the most part), the teens. Everything just came together beautifully. Again, just smartly and warmly written for the most part. I wasn't so hot for the storytelling under Francesca James, but again, don't know how much of that was James or even Disney, which took over ABC at the same time James stepped up. She sounds like a very smart, savvy lady who cares about the genre and who doesn't just phone in her storylines and just collect a check. Like I wrote above, maybe this Miguel thing will come off better than it sounds on paper. After all, we don't know much about it just yet. Plus, this could still be the tail end of Pratt's writing.

• Members

That's a wonderful post LoyaltoAMC! While I am way to young to remeber her first stint in the late 80's, the way you describe her is exactly how I feel about Lorraine based off of her 1995-97 stint. She has a flaws like anyone, but she does possess warmth and really writes women well. I mean, Erica/Janet/Skye was AMAZING. There has been such misogyny on AMC for many years. Not many strong women over the past 5 or 6 years, but already we are seeing that feminist angle that Broderick loves so much in Greenlee. Greenlee is taking charge and isan't being written as this poor little victim that needs to be saved by a man.... Someone shoulsd give Cam Mathison that memo ;) She gets AMC and what it is all about. Miguel sounds bad yes and I expect it to be very bad (but I have been conditioned to feel that way). If it proves to be bad, well then yes Lorraine will take a hit.... but my guess it will come off 10 times better than it would under Pratt, B&E's or McTavish's troubled pens.

• Members

That's how Sylph feels about everything people enjoy. Except, of course, the last three seasons of Alias or any of the other JJ Abrams shows that fall apart when forced to make sense. Those are golden. Only JJ and Sylph understand quality entertainment. But the real question is, why won't JJ call him back?!

Do not expect an answer from Sylph as to how to combat cynicism or what should be done about daytime. His only answer to daytime is no answer and a scorched earth policy. The implicit theme of his collected works is that anyone who thinks daytime can or should be salvaged is a naive fool. Not like him. And JJ.

• Members

AMC used to have a character back in 2003 named Carlos Reyes from Argentina or something, he was the handyman at Fusion who dated Greenlee (she was using him). Juan Pablo was his brother and I remember him coming to protect Carlos from the Argentinian mob. I remember Carlos died in late 2003 after one of the nurses turned out to be from the Mob and implanted something into his chest, which Edmund discovered far after he died.

Well my point is LOL, the woman Adam is asking Tad to finds name is Sonya Reyes, she's the mother of Miguel, and I think she might also be the mother of Carlos and Juan Pablo, or she might have some other relation to them. Carlos also used to work at The Chandler Gallery before he worked at Fusion, to..do you think there is a connection?

Archived