OLTL: Discussion for the week February 15

• Members

I thought CH was awful on GL and I don't think she was a lot better on OLTL but if the last year of the show has proven anything it's that bad acting does not make you less likely to lose your job. The writing seemed to do her in. That and, if the rumors are true, the issues people on the show had with her.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I will always adore Viki and Charlie. Anyone familiar with Brian Kerwin's body of work - and his stomach-churning turn as a leering womanizer and potential molester in August: Osage County - knows he's more than dynamic. The issue is Charlie is barely written for. I think most of that has to do with his proximity to Viki, who ABC seems to barely tolerate RC's interest in. But I haven't the slightest interest in a Viki and Clint reunion. I think they're much stronger and more interesting apart - with Charlie and Kim, respectively. The business with Kim and the Bo/Nora betrayal, as well as Asa's death, has IMO done wonders for Clint's character and JVD's range. If not for these developments there would be no reason to have him on contract. He's a force again now. Charlie could be too, if OLTL was allowed the chance to do more with him. We know ABC's killed several stories for Viki and Charlie.

Crystal Hunt always frightened me on GL; her Lizzie was downright psychotic, and just like on OLTL, CH's performance had a certain dead-eyed vacancy, like she was too bored to even care enough about the evil things Lizzie did; she just did them like pulling the wings off flies. It was too real and too close to real sociopaths for comfort on both GL and OLTL in my book - the thing is, while I don't think Hunt herself is a sociopath or anything, I think what registered onscreen as a lethal void was just genuine dilettante boredom on her part.

• Members
I just watched him in 27 Dresses. It took me a few minutes to realize it was him. He is very good and has a great range. Charlie is a bit boring but I think it's appropiate. Viki has done it all and I don't really see where Clint is presented as an exciting alternative. He is much better off with Kim.

There was no character presented by the writers or the actress. She was a vaporized version of a vixen. I feel like they consulted a handbook of how to write a poor character and gave us Stacy.

AS is better at comedy but it always takes me out of the scene when actors can't produce tears. Poor thing was stuck with JPL. I don't think that helped.

• Members

You know I watched Brian Kerwin in many things before he came to OLTL, and have always thought him to be a phenomenal actor. He is one of the most versatile actors I've ever seen. When I saw him in August: Osage County, it was quite jarring because I had come to adore him as lovable Charlie Banks, and I will admit, it was hard for me to watch that one particular part in the play where he went for the young girl. All I could think of was, "That's my Charlie", LOL. I loved him in 27 Dresses, Jack, Murphy's Romance, Unlikely Angel and the many Without A Trace's. I think he is one of the better actors on One Life, and I love that they paired him with Erika Slezak.

• Members

It also doesn't help that her story was, even by the worse soap standards, such an insult to the viewers' intelligence. She has Gigi convinced not to tell Rex that she's being blackmailed, when in any real situation, Gigi would have confided in Rex (a private eye after all, even if he's about as dumb as nails) and they would have played along, etc. As much as I dislike Rex and Gigi that would ahve been much more satisfying to watch as a soap fan 9and then throwin a plot twist if you must) but the way it was done was just so damn hard to watch--not the best way to endear people to a new character.

• Members

I have to agree! Brian is one hell of a actor and they need to give him more! He can do so much and the past 4 months show it! Hard to believe this show has killed some story's with Erika/.Brian! To me they did it because they know they can sell it and the people they want to shove at us can't! That is sad!

• Members

Larry was the youngest of the three, I know that... I wanna say... Anna, Vince, then Larry? (When the show started Larry was in med school and his older siblings were working hard to put him through it). Vince was involved with Niki Smith (ha!) and I don'tthink was much older than Vicki--Larry was around Meredith's age of course, but Anna was dating Dr Craig pretty early on--so I'm pretty sure she was the eldest.

Archived