Top ten: Small-screen b!tches

Sylph

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The key to a soap bitch is that within her own universe she has to be taken seriously. Eastenders treats Janine as a bad joke. She was some campy mess at Archie's will reading, in her black hat and tiresome facial expressions. The fight with Pat involved a badly staged slap and made Janine look like she had serious vision problems, as she seemed to have no idea Pat was keeling over in front of her. Characters on the show routinely laugh at her and make a fool of her, and she often is too busy feeling sorry for herself to do any real damage. Eastenders these days is too busy winking at itself to be able to create strong villains.

Charlie's first time as Janine was the real highlight. Back then Janine was much subtler in her scheming and she was also a real force of nature, she could be terrifying. Her feud with Laura Beale, where they both got very, very nasty, was very memorable.

I loved Endora. I just wish she'd made Darren disappear after Dick Sargent took over.

I can't believe Angelique Bouchard isn't on this list.

• Members

YTTWROOMM. The I, Claudius box set is probably the most expensive dvd set I've bought to date.

Siân comes over here every now and then to do Broadway, I think she's terribly underused for American film and television, though that's perhaps her choice. She was married to Robin Sachs who was the apnned Adam recast in the Dynasty reunion. I think Siân would have been perfect as a Morell cousin who could make Alexis, Caress, Sable (and certainly Frankie) shake in ther boots.

• Members

Wasn't it worth it? The role of Livia is a masterpiece masterclass in acting.

She is simply extraordinary and it is a shame she isn't doing more film and TV in the US. For example, like I said in the Nikita thread, I loved her in the role of Adrian. Too bad terrible writing ruined the potential.

• Members

Did The Colbys air in the UK? Must have. I'm a little surprised that Stephanie Beacham's Sable didn't get a shout out on this list, or better yet, her eponymous role in Connie. I would love to see a few episodes of that one.

• Members

I know that many of us have seen this segment from 20/20, but for those who haven't... apropos for this thread.

I really wish whoever edited this hadn't. I've never seen the Susan Lucci portion. -_-

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Members

When John Stossel notes that Joan is a 'good editor' and that she changed her lines at will, it reminds me of a comment Scott Hamner has made in the past that Joan was a very skilled script editor and that she constantly worked over her scripts and watched the dailies to see where she needed to work. As well, veteran ''Dynasty'' director Irving Moore, as well as costumer Nolan Miller, both noted that Joan was so effortless with props, which is why the producers always gave Alexis something to play around with or eat in her scenes.

Joan took Alexis seriously and it showed.

Archived