DAYS: Frances Reid has passed away

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dc cubs

Yes, Days 45th Anniversary is this November. I would be alright with them waiting until November to have Alice's funeral. Days just had Mickey die so I'm not sure they would want to write in Alice's death so soon after that story. Plus, more importantly it would give the show plenty of time to do the funeral justice. There needs to be a lot more returns than there were for Mickey's funeral.

• Members

Yeah, and strategically, they just had Mickey's death, they shouldn't be rushing another death on the show.

Alice hasn't appeared since the X-Mas 2007 episode, so it's not like she's been active in the show for some time and they'd have to scramble to find ways to explain her absence. They can take their time, and the show's 45th anniversary later this year is a perfect opportunity for them, and one they should take advantage of.

• Members

God knows they've fired almost everyone; there should be no excuse for them not bringing back as many of Alice's family and friends as possible, even the ones we haven't seen in decades, for a day or two, paid scale or whatever. Why shouldn't you show Jennifer or Abby or JJ or Bill and Laura or Tommy or Marie or Jessica or Nick or any number of people?

Guest dc cubs

SOD Frances Reid Memorial

Susan Seaforth Hayes (Julie)

"For the last six years or so any time we would meet fans of Days of our Lives, the first question was always, 'How is Grandma Alice ... Frances? Where is she? Is she alright? Oh I'm glad she's alright. Is she going to be on the show some more? And, of course, in the past five years she wasn't able to be on the show anymore. Her saddest moment that I'm aware of was when her character was killed in the mass bludgeoning under the (James E.) Reilly writing regime. Frances took that rather personally. It was obvious that everyone was getting knocked off, but Frances said, 'You're firing me.' It was like a knife through her heart. She couldn't believe it. She wasn't philosophical about it. She was hurt. Everyone was hurt, but she was really hurt because the show meant so much to her. Her presence meant so much to the people who have loved Days for large portions of their lives. She was eternally beautiful on camera and her character generally was written as a wise, forgiving matriarch. Sometimes her own flash and opinion would shine through some rather maudlin dialogue. She had claws and sparks and ferocity that Alice has never shown. She also was the focus of all the love that Days has earned from its fans over the last 45 years. She's irreplaceable and her kind of character is no longer on the map."

Deidre Hall (Marlena)

"Frances Reid, although the consummate actor's actor, was far from the donut baking, apron clad wife of Tom Horton most of America knew and loved," Deidre Hall (ex-Marlena) shares with Digest. "She was a saucy, wildly outspoken and politically incorrect woman. Frances was never shy about speaking her mind openly and passionately — even as we counted down to tape. She called it like she saw it, whether she was taking on the union, or critiquing your hairstyle — mincing her words was never an option. She earned the respect and admiration of her friends and peers with her candid approach to life, work, and philosophy."

"Whether you loved or feared her, you always respected her — and if you had the courage, she was a magnificent teacher, mentor, friend," Hall continues. "I feel a strong sense of personal loss as Frances makes her way to Heaven, and know that we shall not look upon her like again."

Peggy McKay (Caroline)

"She was honest, spunky, and had such a wonderful sense of humor,". She was so present, so there. One of the things I really admired about her was her support for her fellow actors. She provided a strong voice for our union. She was a great, great woman."

Leann Hunley (Anna)

"One thing I remember about her was that she was full of useful tips for her co-stars,". I remember her telling me that as an actress it was very important to take at least a 20 minute nap during the day, but it was just as equally important not to mess up our hair and make-up. She was able to teach me a little trick of how to sleep completely still so when I woke up from my nap I didn't have a hair or eyelash out of place! I love her, she was just lovely."

James Reynolds (Abe)

"Frances was always a source of joy and inspiration to me,". Her professionalism always inspired me to be better. Her joy and interest in life was such a pleasure to be around. I miss our conversations on politics and life. What a wonderful person."

Louise Sorel (Vivian)

"Frances Reid was a force of nature, part scamp, highly intelligent, funny, and spirited,". We were blessed with her smile and compassion. What a lovely spirit we have to cherish."

Suzanne Rogers (Maggie)

"Since my mom lived on the East coast I always felt that Frances was my California mom. She always put me in my place but only in a nice, constructive way. We discussed everything from politics to religion. I miss those conversations. The hardest part about all this is not being able to talk to her again."

Peter Reckell (Bo)

"She was, has been, and always will be an inspiration to me — both as an actor and as a person. We will miss her."

Ken Corday

"This is a very sad day, indeed; not only for me personally, but for the DAYS OF OUR LIVES family and the entire Hollywood community. "From day one until she taped her last scene, Frances epitomized the past, present and future of the show. Frances was truly one of a kind. Her class cannot be matched and her shoes cannot be filled… We will miss her all the rest of our days."

Kristian Alfonso (Hope)

"I just loved her so much. "There was just so much about her to love. It's so rare that someone has so much to say with their eyes. They were just so bright and she was just so sharp and fun and smart and worldly and a live wire. I would do scenes with her and I knew that we were acting, but I knew that she loved me and I loved her! When I first moved out here or when I was feeling a little sad, just like a kid, I wanted to crawl up on her lap like it was my grandmother's. It's very sad and it's a great loss."

• Members

The 'Days of Our Lives' family is mourning the death of Frances Reid, who spent over 40 years playing Alice Horton on the daytime soap. That family includes loyal viewers, former cast-mates and colleagues.

"Frances was truly one of a kind," said 'Days' exec producer Ken Corday in a statement. "Her class cannot be matched and her shoes cannot be filled. We will miss her all the rest of our days."

Reid first appeared on 'Days' when it premiered Nov. 8, 1965. As the family matriarch, Alice didn't just pour coffee and listen to the woes of her children, grandchildren and, yes, great-grandchildren. Often, Alice got involved in the thick of the action, and would even break the law if it meant helping the course of true love run a little more smoothly. Here's a look back at five of Alice's most memorable, gutsy and emotional moments on the 'Days of Our Lives.'

1. In 1983, Alice helped Roman (who was falsely accused of murder) get out of jail so that he could clear his name. For Alice, it meant that it was time to make a tainted batch of her famous donuts. An imprisoned Roman naturally became ill and was taken to the hospital where he was able to make his escape.

2. When Alice realized that Hope was about to make the biggest mistake of her life by marrying the crooked politician, Larry Welch, she conspired to switch her granddaughter with a substitute bride so that Bo, Hope's true love, could take her away from the church and explain to her why they drifted apart. Larry was understandably shocked to see the bumbling Howie Hoffsteder under the veil. Later, Alice made no apologies to Tom for doing what she did.

3. Alice went overseas to the fictional country of -- wait for it -- Alamainland to help Jennifer pose as Katerina Von Leuschner. Alice's resilience kicked in after she suffered a stroke following a cave-in at Lawrence's villa in 1990. While other soaps were keeping its grandmothers domestic, 'Days' wisely kept Alice -- and Reid -- in the forefront.

4. In 1991, Alice learned that her marriage to her beloved Tom wasn't legal. Additional heartbreak followed when Alice sensed that Tom was rather nonchalant about the whole thing. Alice wanted a real wedding, however, and got her way and on October 17, 1991, when Tom and Alice made it legal for, as the song suggests, always.

5. Beginning in 2003, a serial killer made its way through Salem. Ratings soared as viewers watched beloved 'Days' veterans take their last breaths. Later, in a chilling sequence, saintly Marlena murdered the even more saintly Alice by suffocating her with her own donuts (Fortunately, the show later had a change of heart and Alice and the other fan-favorite victims were brought back to life.) By then, Reid was in her late-80's. If anything, that she was able to handle such chilling material proved what a true professional she was.

http://www.popeater.com/2010/02/04/frances-reid-days-of-our-lives-5-best-moments/

• Members

I hate that we even mention the SSK donut scene in Frances memorial, but there was a flash of greatness during the terribly written scene...(did it or didnt it happen, how did the ghosts appear if people werent dead, and of course, the ultimate in Reilly schlock, Tom's disembodied head chaseing Marlena out of the house...) when Marlena was taunting Alice and Alice held her ground...and when Marlena raised the knife, Alice said "Put that DOWN," in no uncertain terms and Marlena sheepishly did. It showed the force of Ried's personality that this frail old woman had some spunk and feist!

I also like that Days alwasy kept Alice in the action, unlike the P& G soaps which just had their matriachs (if they kept them) serving tea all the time. Alice was the kind of Gram, everyone wanted!

• Members

Thanks for the clips. What was Victor doing with Melissa's marriage?

Is any of that involving the time Tom and Alice actually weren't married, and Alice had to get Tom to agree to marry her for real? I'd like to see some of that.

Archived