DAYS: Frances Reid has passed away

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

RIP Frances Reid :(

I really hope Ken Corday, Gary Tomlin, Chris Whitesell, Dena Higley and others on the writing team, directing team, and producing team will give Frances/Alice Horton a proper tribute. And I really hope a lot of former cast members will return for the funeral. DAYS cannot screw this up, they just can't.

What a sad day. We've lost a legend. :(

Thanks, Jason47 for the wonderful tribute page!

• Members

This is so hard to hear. I know that these actors had long and happy lives but I think it's made worse because it feels like the genre is also leaving :(

Frances, what a wonderful actress she was, and such charm and vitality. I think it says a lot about Frances and her work as Alice that even as so many regimes came and went, most of them used Alice. They didn't see her as expendable, or unworthy. Alice was a key part of the stories which helped revive DAYS in the "supercouple" era and she was a key part of the stories which helped revive DAYS again when Jim Reilly took over as headwriter.

She was a major asset to her show and to the soap genre and she helped make people feel warm and safe for so many years.

• Members

She lived a long very fulfilled life and was loved by many. My condolences go out to her family, friends, co-workers and the DAYS fans whose lives she touched. Even in the later years she still had such a sparkle and brought so much to that show. Such a sad time for soap fans.

RIP Frances

• Members

im so sad. she was wonderful. i had the chance to meet her - twice. she was amazing and just like you would expect.

susan hayes told me back in nov that she was in a full time care home now. i knew things were not good but that doesn't make this any easier. her episodes of Perry Mason were on in reruns the other day, so glad i was able to watch them. i also just got a dvd with her in it, she plays rock hudsons wife.

i doubt days will - or should - address this anytime soon. i do kind og hope they wait and if it doesnt get picked up her funeral can be the finale and if it does maybe they will have more of a budget to bring back some old faces.

• Administrator

I don't think it's going to be addressed (in stories) anytime soon either. DAYS is getting ready for May sweeps right now, and they'll probably need another month or so to plan Alice's funeral. I'm thinking maybe it will happen in July? For now, we'll probably get a "RIP" card at the end of Thursday or Friday's episode.

I really hope money will not be an issue for returning cast members. Just take the minimum that SAG/AFTRA allows. Ken Corday and Gary Tomlin have to find a way to make this work if money is an issue.

• Members

Frances also appeared as the lead on 'Portia Faces Life',as Grace on As The World Turns and Rose on The Edge of Night,

She also appeared in the Rock Hudson movie 'Seconds' among others.

Interestingly,she did not appear as Alice in the pilot episode.

A sad day in the soap world.

• Members

The loss of a legend.

Frances Reid was revered, Deidre Hall said that when Frances received her Lifetime Achievement Emmy and she was right. She was revered on that set, in the business and in the genre as a whole.

I take some small comfort in knowing that she lived a life most people never dream of having and that she did so till her 95th year.

A truly lovely lady who played a truly lovely character.

I have the feeling that Alice and Frances were one in the same.

Rest in Peace, Frances, you will be missed.

Archived