DAYS: Frances Reid has passed away

• Members

RIP, Frances Reid. You brought a lot of warmth into the living rooms of millions of people!

Like JP, I can live with Days waiting to do a special episode in memory of Frances Reid and Alice Horton. Doesn't need to be tomorrow... but it does need to happen sometime this year. Don't be like B&B which let the death of Darlene Conley pass with nary a mention.

And OF COURSE Jennifer needs to be there! I have the feeling that Missy Reeves would probably do this episode regardless of pay because she and Frances Reid were tight. And Jennifer and Hope need to bond because they aren't just cousins, they are BFFs. Maggie will take this as one more reason to sniff her bottle of scotch but on the day of the funeral, she will hold it together as the clan matriarch, helped by Doug and Julie, no doubt. Lucas has to be there, heck, maybe they can have John and Marlena show up for old times' sake. Maybe even Bill and Laura (wish it could be Susan Flannery but it will probably be Jamie Lyn Bauer) if the show wanted to go all out.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have high...make that, extremely high...expectations for a memorial episode in Frances's honor. It's times like these that TPTB shouldn't be worried about money or unions or travel expenses. When you work with these people day in and day out, you form a bond. You become a family, more or less. I have no doubt in my mind that she somehow touched the life of each and every cast member, crew member, and executive at that show. My prayers are with them all. Tomorrow (well, today) is going to be a very somber and sorrowful day for many on-set. I said earlier this afternoon that my prayers are with Frances's family, offscreen and onscreen....and I meant it in every sense of the word. As for a memorial episode, I'm sure it will be somewhere around June or July. I shudder to think of them doing the iconic July 4th episode without mentioning Alice (or mentioning her, and shortly after, paying respects), so my hopes are that it's sometime in late June. When ATWT's beloved Benjamin Hendrickson passed in July of 2006, it was November before his memorial episode aired.

Daytime has lost a legend. A true force of nature. A sweet, generous, talented soul who loved the daytime genre, the fans, and the overall acting community. She will be greatly missed.

• Members

Perhaps with Scott Reeves now at GH and the children growing up and at school most of the time, Missy will elect to do recurring from time to time. I'm assuming that the family had to move back to LA and that's what makes this possible.

And yes, she is needed, but fans will clamor for Jack to join her, won't they. And cast-wise, Days is at a fairly manageable level right about now.

• Members

So the news has been confirmed. Frances Reid had a long life. She gave lot of entertainment to the Days fans over the years. My sympathies to her family and friends.

Scott Reeves has been hinting that Melissa wants back onto the soaps. Days could find use for her on recurring supporting Maggie, Nathan, and Stephanie, but I don't want a Jennifer romance or a Jack return. I think their days have past. I feel the same about Hope and Bo. Time to stop reliving the past and move on.

• Members

A lot of times it isnt so much the show being worried about it. Its making it all work. Within the budget. Within the schedules of everyone involved. its much easier said than done.

Yo made a grea post tho, and i couldnt agree more. I agree, 4th of July would be odd (and wrong) if Alice wasnt mentioned and they hadnt addressed that FR has passed. However again, id prefer them hold off all together until they have the deal with NBC worked out because her funeral would be a nice way to end the show, full of returns.

When interviewing Suzanne, Peggy, Crystal and Susan last year they all mentioned her. I wonder if i can find the tape...

Scott has said shes up for it.

Fans need to get over it. Jack isnt needed. Jenn is. The show doesnt need to break them up. Just bring on recurring and let her fly in for visits often and explain it that way.

• Members

I knew there'd be a day when we heard this news, but I didn't anticipate how awful it would feel.

We moved across the country when I was in junior high. Not long after that, I started watching Days. There have been years when I saw Alice Horton much more than my own grandparents. There was something so safe and comforting about her appearances, maybe even moreso as they grew less frequent.

Rest in peace.

• Members

May she rest in perfect peace, what a lovely lady.

I was reading about her (at the time, unconfirmed) passing late last night/early this morning on other sites and I was disheartened by comments like, "I'm not at all surprised"/"I saw this coming". Frankly, at her age, who didn't see this coming? What an awful thing to say. Let's not let celebrity diminish the value of an undoubtedly cherished human being's life. Just what is gained by being the one who "called it"? Nothing (save for my derision). Have respect for a woman whose life reached far beyond the little box you watched her in.

I'm glad to participate in a forum where the loss of beloved vets is treated with respect.

• Members

Sadly if Days wanted to bring on Bill or Tom Jr. they would have to do some recasting because the three Bills have all passed away, as well as the actor that played Tommy. It would be great if the show does revive the Horton Clan with a New Bill Horton (Michael Storm/Stuart Damon) and a New Tom Horton Jr. (Larry Brygman/Nicholas Coster) or even bring Steve Olson (Justin Deas) back.

R.I.P Frances Reid, you will be truly missed!!

Archived