Y&R: Potpourri Thread 3

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

There's already multiple threads where there's discussion about hating the show. We don't need another because it's cluttering the board. I'm sorry if you guys don't like it. I can rename this thread if you want: Y&R: Potpourri Thread 3 - We want Y&R cancelled

• Members

Oh my goodness, I go to finish a grant proposal, and when I come back...this?? DF started a "cancel Y&R" thread? LMAO!

DaytimeFan, I think you're the greatest thing since sliced bread! But...no...I'm not behind you on this one.

"Fix Y&R"...sure! Of course (and here I think we agree), the problem is that there is no corporate nor creative/family will to "fix" the show. There is no acknowledgment that there is a problem....

Yup!

Listen, Y&R is the number one soap, and it has remained more-or-less stable (accounting for seasonal fluctuations) for two years now. It still has many of its major vets. It is still consistently #1 in the 18-49 demo.

Y&R will be cancelled! It will be cancelled in this decade! But it will only be cancelled when CBS is ready to get out of the soap biz.

I have to believe that that recent cbs.com Neilsen survey will continue to steer Y&R in the direction that PLEASES MOST FANS. (I acknowledge that the sampling frame for that survey may be a little sketchy).

At the same time, there has been a remarkable run of rushed, plot-driven stuff since at least 2006. If folks don't believe that's a network/corporate mandate, I don't know what is. Y&R is the way Sony and CBS want it to be (except maybe it is still too expensive). MAB is retained because she is giving CBS/Sony what they want, and because the numbers/demos are holding steady.

Your hope for "regime change" is ... maybe ... if Y&R starts to nosedive in the demo. So far, there is no sign of that...just the gradual attrition that continues to kill this genre.

But SON's "critical space"--which is clearly "rare air" when it comes to Y&R criticism--is going to have to contemplate the idea that maybe the opinions here fly somewhat in the face of most of the 5 million viewers (more or less) who watch live/same day every week. They keep on watching. It's a habit, and most folks don't give it that much thought. Within that context, because the faces and families and locales and situations are familiar, it feeds a habit...and that's all.

Personally, I don't see the point in calling for cancellation in something that gives 5 million a day pleasure (the number is much higher, of course, when you add in the legal streams, the Soapnet broadcasts, and the international rebroadcasts; remember, for example, that Y&R is still a top-25 series--all genres, all dayparts--in Canada).

In the history of daytime/soaps (I'm talking about, since radio) there have been clear ways to shape a broadcast:

- respectful communications to the showrunners ("letters to the producer")

- respectful communications to the sponsors

and, I guess, respectful communications to the networks too

Such votes for change ARE counted, and their numbers matter. As you all realize, it seems unlikely that "fire the hacks' will lead to a letter being viewed as a constructive way to improve a show :lol:. But many of you are creative, and I suggest that your constructive feedback might actually have an impact.

But for me, one important bottom line that matters -- because I enjoy "spending time" with many of you -- is that I'm very sorry that you're so dissatisfied with the show. Even though we often disagree about the merits of what is being shown, I'm sorry that the current state of the program is distressing and seems to have no hope of getting better for you. This is not a line...I'm sincerely sorry about that.

Toups, I'd LOVE that thread title! Do it!

• Members

But there is no proof of this and we may never see any change, regardless of that Neilsen survey. I know there's other research being done in terms of focus groups at this show, but as you all know, those groups often comprise of people who do not watch any soaps.

Mark, the point you never see to get is that this writing style has been a hallmark of these particular writers and producers at other shows. If the cycle keeps on repeating itself with the same writers, then how can we blame a third party? Also, Maria's solo run was very disastrous too.

Miracles can happen, AMC didn't exactly nosedive when Pratt was hired, in fact, they were up year to year in viewers and households...

But as long as the show is on the air, there is a possibility for a regime change. We all want for it to happen badly, as Y&R is clearly not what it used to be to many of us, not even halfway there.

Yes, very much, many watch out of habit and not actual quality, especially the soaps.

And these have all been tried with little to no success, and given Maria Arena Bell's ARROGANCE, do you seriously think she'll read viewer feedback and admit any mistakes? I've heard from more than one source what an arrogant witch this woman is...

Not with these writers, Mark. They only know how to write a certain type of show, which is not Y&R. It's the same type of show they've been writing at past shows too, again.

• Members

Yeah, I get that. And you forgot to mention that Maria cut her teeth with Brad Bell at B&B...which is a different kind of show. So even though she claims Y&R experience, she may never have really "gotten" the show.

But the point that you need to consider is "chicken versus egg". Remember how shocked (and disappointed) many people were when Sheffer and later Rauch were hired? Because they had earned reputations as show killers?

Why would Sony/Bell hire KNOWN showkillers?

Is Y&R the way it is because of the people who are writing/producing it? Or is Y&R the way it is because the people with hire-fire authority wanted to whatever Sheffer-Rauch bring? (And Hamner, for that matter)?

I maintain (without evidence) that Sheffer and Rauch and Hamner and Bell are delivering a product that their owners WANT.

Now, I'm with you in scratching my head over this. WHY do they want such a rushed thing? WHY do they want Botox in the eyes? WHY do they want molester baby stealers? WHY do they want chipmunk heads?

I haven't a CLUE. But the fact that these showkillers were hired, and that they are delivering EXACTLY what most of you expected (from lighting to outrageous plots to misogyny to racism to...) sure seems like Sony/CBS are getting what they paid for.

Who can answer why Sony/CBS wants this version of Y&R. They have been trying to have this version of Y&R for almost half-a-decade now, and they have made consistent hiring choices in an attempt to get this kind of Y&R. That is the riddle for us to solve.

• Members

These showkillers have great agents that can get them almost anywhere in daytime. Hogan Sheffer is repped by James Sarnoff, who has gotten hack after hack very lucrative deals in daytime.

Sony/Bell don't look at track-records or what these people wrote at other shows, they're easy hires when there's a position to be filled and that no one with a reputable name is clawing to be apart of.

Is this why Maria's solo run was very different from this regime's run? Is they why even Latham's Y&R was noticibly different from this regime? Is this why Smith and Alden's Y&R was also very different? The common link - the same people at Sony and CBS were in charge when all these regimes wrote for Y&R, and they all wrote a very different show. Therefore, since these same writers had the same vision at other shows, I blame them for recycling it on Y&R.

• Members

Not sure if there is much to be said for SONY, but if CBS wanted this version of Y&R, Bloom wouldn't be trying to usurp power from Maria at every turn. Her pushing so hard for Stephen Nichols is indicative of her not being happy with choices being made behind the scenes. Couple that with Bloom rarely mentioning Y&R or B&B and that should tell you she's not happy with what is going on over there.

I definitely believe Bloom(and SONY execs) want a more contemporary Y&R. Which is fine. But what's so G*ddamned contemporary about the show?

• Members

What ever happened to the rumor that

Funny thing I recently found a 2003 episode on tape I had while going through old tapes. I noticed CK wasn't that bad and was actually perfect as the naive air headed girl tricked by Kevin. Guess her acting abilities have decreased over time.

Archived