Y&R: Potpourri Thread 3

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really hate Micahel Muhney, not just his crappy over the top cartoon acting, but his public persona.

As some of you know, We Love Soaps is doing a countdown of their favourite soap actress, where Granny Cooper, I mean Jeanne Cooper, came it at #7. They have quotes from many talking about these actresses and here's what Muhney had to say about Jeanne.

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2010/02/50-greatest-soap-actresses-7-jeanne.html#more

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Like we needed to know the last part and as if it served any relevance to this. Yeah, he might have been trying to be funny, but the way this guy tries to sell himself and his awful stories really grates my nerves.

• Members

I have to say that Lynn Latham is a strange, obscure choice. She was clearly brought on as someone who Barbarella Bloom could control, i.e. not have clashes and stuff, who wouldn't contradict her.

But also SONY, one would guess, has to have some input. It is funny how they chose Lynn as someone who would modernise this show — what kind of modernising credentials does she have? Which shows did she modernise? Total bull from SONY, Barbarella & Co.

I can only guess that it was because she was a primetime writer once upon a time and it would be "such an honour" to have someone like that cross from primetime to daytime. They wanted to primetime-ise a daytime show. Which is such an imbecilic idea, so laughable, senseless and insane, there are no words, really.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

laughter.giflaughter.gif

He so had to pimp himself as this brillian actor!!!

Unbelievable.

• Members

I totally enjoyed Alden's stint (unless she was responsible for bringing in the Hodges...but I'm pretty sure that was Jack Smith :lol:). When she FIRST took over, and swept those Landers away, and launched the Victor-Diane divorce, I was in heaven!

My view of her at Y&R is NOT critically negative. What I'm saying is that she was unable to buck the trend of ratings decline, and her average weekly decline rate was basically unprecedented. I totally understand why she was replaced.

What I never knew was how much she was coasting on the fumes of Bill Bell, versus creating her own vision moving forward. What did she create that has lasted? I'm sincerely asking. The Dennison girls? Or was that Bill Bell.

I think Kay was likely a PERFECT co-head writer, esp. for Bill Bell. That is not a criticism, but I'm not sure (based on her more recent work) that we could expect her to do anything more that work with someone else's vision and make it more "Y&R-authentic". It still means we're missing the visionary under whom she works.

I am not saying MAB/team is BETTER. This isn't a comparison. I'm just saying, if you remove MAB, I don't think you replace her with Alden. I don't think that will solve anything.

I think you bring in a new person to take Y&R in an evolutionary direction. (Yes, I think that could have been LML...too bad she was such a mismanager, and she was so eager to discard ALL traditional trappings of Y&R rather than moving more slowly). I think Y&R needs the equivalent of Michael-Malone-at-Y&R. Someone who really shakes up and invents. The problem is that so many traditionalists don't like ANY deviation from Y&R's "classic" production values and "classic" characters. So, I think evolution is doomed to fail.

Thus, I feel the best shot is to retain MAB and continue on our path to extinction, :lol:

The devil you know is better than the one you don't.

MAB's long-term impact on ratings is not clear. She had that horrible fall, regained the viewers, then fail again, then seems to be regaining again. It's a big 'ole "W" trajectory. Very confusing.

Creatively, no one has matched Bell, obviously. If I think back on the whole post-Bell era, the ONLY story that really stands out for me is Cassie's death (i.e., Jack Smith). That really was a game-changer, and I liked it very much. On the romance side, I really liked what Smith did with JT and Colleen. Unfortunately, the episodes that Smith pens as scriptwriter over at B&B these days are among the most florid (second only to ham-and-cheese-Mulcahey). So...I don't think he's got it anymore either.

I would be open to MAB being replaced TODAY...but only if the chose was clearly inspired, or at least risky. Turning to reheated leftovers (and nearing retirement age--which is only relevant because pop culture is driven by youth) is not the answer.

I don't know. You seem to be trolling him. (And me?). What did he say?

No, I fully admit MAB's horrible decline at the start of her reign. I'm the one who showed that her weekly decline trajectory exceed all others for that brief time!!

BUT...in the long run...her impact on the ratings is much more ambivalent. The basic long-haul trend is one of stability. That makes it harder to justify a switch on business grounds.

I'd LOVE to be as inspired by Y&R as I once was. But I think simply swapping "chiefs" is a short-sighted strategy that often yields failure.

You'll think I'm crazy, especially with my disillusionment with B&B, but I think Brad Bell should get a chance.

Why? Because even though I don't like his B&B, he has managed to be VERY TRUE to a certain vision of that show. He has supported that with great stability of cast, crew, characters.

Brad did work at Y&R, and I wonder if he could "pick up" that vision...his father's vision...for how Y&R should differ from B&B. I wonder if he could actually do some interesting and novel things, while not losing sight of the core of what Y&R should be. Brad is the one who could -- if he has an 'ear' for what is uniquely Y&R -- bring in the legacy team members and keep them under control.

I'm not sure he'd be right. I'm very angry at him for the state of B&B. But he just might bring something interesting to the table. I'd give it a shot, if I was Sony and I was ready to replace MAB. (Yes, Brad could do B&B and Y&R at the same time, just like his daddy).

• Members

Sony stayed out of the writer side of things for years. Remember Sara Bible's interview with In The Zone radio? She said the only time Sony was get involved was when it came to budgeting, but otherwise, they weren't very involved.

Since the Bell's and CBS signed off on it, Sony had to follow suit.

Too true.

• Members

Fun for watchers...but tragedy for those who still find something of value in Genoa City. The AMC example is exactly what I hope Y&R can avoid.

I'd rather see the show sail out in this shape, that to suddenly have Jamie Luner as a recast Drucilla, and to have even more absurd plot twists.

Stability--even if the baseline is fairly low--is undervalued. Especially in soaps, which are continuing comfort food and habit.

• Members

Too late, it's been going on ever since Smith replaced Alden.

But these same ABSURD plots are the TRADEMARK of the people currently writing and running Y&R, and they always get worse.

Sylvia Browne making a return visit, is quite frankly, more upsetting than Jamie Luner being a recast for a character that's been gone for nearly a decade.

Archived