2010: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Administrator

I heard she was fired. I wonder what happened because she's been there for about 7 years.

I don't know....but I don't think she will. I think there are other writers JHC or D&D will want to bring in (ie. Lucky Gold).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know Lisa was with AMC's writing team for quite a number of years (production prior as well), but what is her general reputation? She left before I really started paying attention to who wrote the daily episodes and such....

• Members

Culliton must have liked her to put her on his writing team as an AHW, and he generally has good taste in writers (although he did also bring on Gordon Rayfield as an AHW around the same time...). And if McTavish fired her then that can also be taken as an endorsement in a way lol.

• Members
Although the structure of her episodes weren't bad, there were plenty of structural and tag issues. Some of that may have to do with the way the directors/producers edit the shows, but I really think alot of the day-to-day problems(with the lack of sufficient tags, significant scene beats) were with her breakdowns. I think she, like almost everyone else at B&B, have just stopped caring about quality or even clarity.

Brad should have poached a breakdown writer(more than one) with a proven track record from another show who could also pitch in and write scripts on occasion. I'd venture to guess that Snyder's subjective lack of quality came from being extremely overworked and writing enough breakdowns to suit an eight episodes in four days production schedule.

Isn't it obvious? It was probably a budget issue, her contract or cycle was up and they elected to get rid of her to save a little bit of money and maybe use some of what they were paying her to slightly bump the salaries of Minnis/Alden so they could add extra responsibilities to their plate.

Or maybe she challenged one of the big three on something(Bell, Minnis, Alden), got caught in the crossfire, and they showed her who was boss?

I'm definitely leaning towards budget. The suits are gonna slash this show to nothing as long as they can keep it on the air and as long as they keep getting their money. It's definitely not about "quality" anymore where Y&R/B&B are concerned.

She'll bounce back if she's a Sarnoff client. They usually do. Neither rain, nor strike, nor unemployment can keep his clients from collecting that paper.

• Members

Precisely what I'm saying. She carried a lot of weight on her back and her outlines were of certain kind, which Minnis' are not, which made me say it was ultimately a loss.

She is a Sarnoff's client so I think she'll find another gig.

:)

• Administrator

Hmm...I don't know, after 7 years.....I'm leaning towards a clash of opinions (I don't know what really happend). It seems to be if the EP or HW really likes someone and their work, they would find a way to keep them on the team. Like at DAYS, they have (I assume) the most expensive writing team, yet they have one of the smallest budgets in daytime.

Yeah, if Sarnoff really cares about her. He's known to prefer some clients over others.

You said hope before you edited! :P So you like Sarnoff? :blink::lol:

• Members
I don't want to give you or anyone else the wrong impression here: I'm not delighted with glee to hear that she was fired, especially in this economy. I think, at the very least, they should have had her and another staff writer plot outlines and alternate, and have her and another person occasionally write scripts. Besides, her scripts couldn't be any worse than Shannon Bradley's. <_<

B&B, like Y&R, is just so grossly mismanaged and these cuts are coming from the wrong places. There are plenty of people in talent that should have been fired, released, or forced into early retirement before someone on the writing staff that add absolutely nothing to this show(Winsor) or are beyond played out(Sue Flannery). Aesthetically, this show is suffering. The sets look small, tight, and cramped. The sets are so overlit that you can clearly see reflections off the silver pots, the glass windows, and even the varnished wood.

If it was a budget issue, the last place that should have come from was within the writing staff. There are plenty of other places where the cuts could have come from.

I knew someone would confirm that. LOL.

• Members

Precisely what I'm saying: that's why I used the verb hope, not as a declaration of love for Jim Sarnoff <_<, but as my sincere wish that he'll find her another job. With shrinking opportunities, I doubt it, the shows seem packed, but who knows. People come and go, just like this thread demonstates.

Another thing I wanted to say is that I find this move completely dumb in that: why not fire Kay Alden? She pressures the budget more and is really not necessary. He needed to dump her. <_<

Once you could rely on this show to execute the overdone and endlessly repeated stories properly, but now it all just seems like some D-list production. Absolute junk. It'll get cancelled before anyone even tries to do something about it. The re-invention is long overdue. And now it won't matter.

:P

• Members
But what the hell kind of "clash of opinion" could their be? Is B&B going from eight to ten shows every four days and she just said, "Hell no, we won't go?" Did she clash with Kay Alden?

I'm almost willing to put money on it being an issue with budget. Snyder seems very non-threatening almost to the point of being a non-entity. The beancounters probably needed to make a cut in the writing staff. It was either reduce the number of episodes one of the higher paid people write(i.e. Smith/Kelly) and replace them with one of the junior scriptwriters(Dusevoir/Bradley) or get rid of Snyder. And hey, Minnis/Alden could probably use more cash in their bank accounts in exchange for churning out even less imaginative breakdowns.

• Members
And she's supposed to be this hard working person, but none of that is reflected in the dialogue I see on-screen. It's not her job to rewrite every single script on the show that is just outright bad, but some of the crap(or cr*p as you call it ;) ) that she has let slide is just embarrassing. And she's supposed to be a freaking SCRIPT EDITOR!?!?!

These people have such little faith in the domestic growth of this show and it's so apparent on-screen. Most of them have checked out.

Watch some affiliates expand their newscasts to an hour and elect to air B&B in late-night or not at all when ATWT goes off in September. I think Bloom has ceased being a champion for the serial properties. It's all about low-cost gameshows with her in an attempt to advance to a higher ranking position with CBS/Paramount.

Archived