Best/Worst of the 2009

• Members

Aside from the Gwen/Jen one on ATWT, the more recent baby switch stories up to then hadn't had a dead child, so I think people may have been used to that.

Y&R

Best Return: Nina

Worst Return: Patty Jane

I don't think her writing as of late has been knockout but I was still very impressed at how they managed to keep Nina as the way she was in the past, yet still with some obvious changes in her life. It was also like she'd never truly left. Nina provided most of the fonder memories I have of this year's Y&R.

I know Phillip got the most negative attention but as disappointing as his return was, to see history rewritten just to have him return as a moper who was backburnered and sent away just as Thom Bierdz was settling in, I was much more offended by what they did with Patty. There was no reason for her return other than a tired nod to history and an even more tired "Jack is a horrible man." Over and over we had to hear that what he did to her 25 years ago was as bad or worse compared to what Victor had done to her recently. She became a cartoonish psycho almost overnight, and worst of all, her murder spree had absolutely no fallout, unless you count Victoria's fling with Deacon being exposed "for Colleen." It was all such a horrible waste.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I must admit I was very disappointed by how Patty's return turned out. Jack's shooting was such a pivotal moment in Y&R's history, the kind of moment that, with previous writing regimes, would have provided TONS of great story in the present. Instead, though, I felt like Patty's history had no bearing on the current story, and vice-versa. Any nutjob, in fact, could have come in and done what she did; and they would have left the same effects regardless.

• Members

Exactly. Both she and Adam were turned into random psychos. Adam only gets more sympathy from the show because he has a penis.

The way the show butchered so much of its own history this year was astonishing. And so much lack of payoff. Remember Nikki being run over...wait, she jumped out of the way, and she was in a spa the whole time?

Best Story (OLTL): I would say the Kyle/Fish/Layla/Cris story, which when they focused on those four, had far more depth and genuine friendship and camraderie than I ever would have expected. I also thought, minus the ridiculous scenes where the son of the police commissioner/one of the richest families in town was bullied for being in a wheelchair, Matthew's paralysis was a very strong story and had some good conflict with Bo and Nora.

Worst (OLTL): KAD. Even now, I can't quite get over this story. Lee, Wes, AND Talia, all characters with promise, killed off in a casual manner. Aside from a few moments with Antonio and Layla, no one even mourned Talia. This all boiled down to the awful resolution, with Zach and Powell returning to remind us Todd was not the bad rapist, they were the bad rapists, and Rebecca, made crazy and then killed, inexplicably, and the awful boiler room scenes, which led to what was probably the second worst story of the year (with Gigi/Rex/Stacy), bratty Danielle whose very existence can rewrite entire timelines.

• Members

Yeah, and don't you wish Rafe had cut it off out of spite? ;-P

Ugh. Not that I was ever a fan of Rebecca Lewis, but what purpose did making her Powell's minion and then killing her off serve? It just didn't make sense to me. OTOH, for someone who'd been out of the acting profession for awhile, I thought Sean Moynihan (Powell) did a great job in his return. I'm just sorry it was under such dreadful circumstances.

• Members

I guess one would have to add here the Jill/Kay wedding cake catfight, which might not have been too well scripted, but was nevertheless exhilarating because it was a product of the undoing of the Jill/Kay motherhood crapfest and, to lovers of the Kay/Jill feud, a great pay off to all those insipid years of "let's go to GCAC and have dinner for a couple of minutes and talk about nothing and then let's enter the next scene and leave together and enter the next scene together again!" And they did use the music quite effectively, as well as Jill's digs were fun. I'm sorry, I fall for that crap every time.

• Members

Best/Most Improved Show: The Bold and the Beautiful

Best Couples: Kevin & Jana (Y&R), Bill & Katie (B&B)

Worst Couples: Billy & Mac (Y&R), Daniel & Amber (Y&R), Nick & Sharon (Y&R), Jack & Sharon (Y&R), Adam & Sharon (Y&R), Cane & Lily (Y&R), Ridge & Brooke (B&B)

Best Triangle: Phyllis/Nick/Sharon (Y&R)

Worst Triangle: Brooke/Ridge/Taylor (B&B)

Best Villians: Patty (Y&R), Adam (Y&R), Annie (Y&R), Bill (B&B)

Worst Villian: Clint (Y&R)

Best Potential, Worst Execution: Colleen on the Newman board (Y&R)

Best Twist: "I own her ass" (B&B)

Worst Twist: Phillip is alive (Y&R)

Best Wedding: Bill & Katie (B&B)

Worst Wedding: Ridge & Brooke on the beach (B&B)

Best Returns: Nina (Y&R), Whip (B&B)

Worst Return: Thomas (B&B)

Best Deaths: Colleen (Y&R), Ann (B&B)

Worst Death: Zapato (Y&R)

Best Story: The Bridget/Nick/Sandy/Whip surrogate story (B&B)

Worst Story: Phillip's return (Y&R)

Best Performers (in alphabetical order): Wilson Bethel, Eric Braeden, Sharon Case, Doug Davidson, Eileen Davidson, Adrienne Frantz, Stacy Haiduk, Elizabeth Hendrickson, Bryton James, Christian LeBlanc, Thad Luckinbill, Billy Miller, Michael Muhney, Emily O'Brien, Nia Peeples, Greg Rikaart, Kevin Schmidt, Michelle Stafford, Tammin Sursok, Jess Walton (Y&R); Sarah Joy Brown, Susan Flannery, Katherine Kelly Lang, Kyle Lowder, Alley Mills, Heather Tom, Hunter Tylo, Jacqueline MacInnes Wood (B&B)

Worst Performers (in alphabetical order): Peter Bergman, Thom Bierdz, Hayley Erin, Clementine Ford, Christel Khalil, Kate Linder, Eva Marcille (Y&R); Texas Battle, Drew Tyler Bell, Ronn Moss (B&B)

Best New Character: Bill (B&B)

Biggest Annoyance: All the bitching about Y&R (SON)

• Members

Wow Toups! We agree on TWO things?! WOW!

I really didnt expect the baby Sami had to die that early into the story. Not to mention the way it was done, no accident or anything. She got sick and died, and DAYS was able to pretty much keep it out of the spoilers. I mean once she got sick we all were pretty sure she died, but i remember the breakdowns for that week didnt mention she died at all. But no, this story wasnt some new take on the baby swap storyline of soaps at all, however it worked. They played every beat and thats what made it so great.

• Members

Well just chiming in to say I couldn't disagree more with all the members of the Rafe and Sami fan club in this thread. :lol: Rafe is wayyyyyyyyy too smug, especially for a newbie, to stand. His supposed SuperCopness doesn't make any sense either after they had him fired from the FBI. And as for Sami with Rafe... I hardly see any of her maturity others describe. If she was mature, I'd hope she'd be a bit less bipolar, wouldn't need rescued all the time and might get back on a career track already. I also wish I could see whatever "edge" she is supposed to still have. The version of Sami they have with Rafe is completely unrecognizable as Sami Brady to me.

Anyway... moving on...

My DAYS best/worst

Best Couple: Tie - Kate & Stefano, Vivian & Victor

Worst couple: Rafe & Sami

Best Triangle: Hope/Bo/Carly

Worst Triangle: Will/Mia/Chad

Worst Quadrangle: Will/Mia/Chad/Gabi

Best Villian: Victor and Stefano

Worst Villian: Meredith (and Kate when she was doing her Snow White food poisoning routine)

Best Potential, Worst Execution: The baby switch reveal not coming at a big event

Best Twist: Anna's back!

Worst Twist: Carly rescuing Rafe. Wish he stayed dead.

Best Wedding: Kate and Stefano

Worst Wedding: Every other DAYS wedding was pretty horrid and poorly attended.

Best Reunion: Bo tackling Carly when she broke in

Best Return: Vivian & Carly & Anna

Best Death: Lawrence (even though I love MS, it was a logical set-up for all this story)

Worst Death: Tony (such wasted potential... and those damn stairs he died on are on EVERY DAY!)

Best Story: The baby switch

Worst Story: Kate vs. Danloe while Lucas is cuckolded off screen

• Members

rafe was fired from the FBI because EJ complained about his relationship with Sami and that was unprofessional. Not because he was a bad agent.

she is far less bipolar now than she has been all decade. and her crazyness is pretty well explained via losing a child and a baby swap.

she needs to be rescued all the time? not really anymore than anyone else on the show.

as for a career she tried. after grace died she went on interviews and was trying to get a job but couldnt find anything. maggie and philip both offered to hire her but she knew they ere just creating something so she turned it down. shortly after this the swap came out. shes been a little too busy to find a job.

the only edge she ever had was she a bitch. she came up with plots and schemes and after 15 years she realized that didnt work long term. so she has stopped, for the most part. but keeping her child from ej? classic sami. telling him she would it again? classic sami. taking on stefano? classic sami. the douple slap confrontation with nicole? classic sami. its there. she has it. but not 24/7, and thats a damn good thing.

I love sami and rafe. i love sami and ej. i love that sami brady is finally a character i can love again after 5 years of awful writing.

• Members

GENERAL HOSPITAL:

Best Couple: Kate and Coleman (Odd, A little Disturbing...But cute and funny, nonetheless)

Worst Couple: TIE: Carly and Jax, Sonny and Olivia

Best Triangle: Tracy/Luke/ Holly (wasn't really a "triangle" but I loved Tracy's attitude towards Holly when she came back)

Worst Triangle: Lucky/Liz/Nik (Love Liz, Love JJ as Lucky, and Nik is ok...This storyline makes me ill, however)

Best Villain: Helena (though I fear they underused her a tad)

Best Twist: Dominic being Dante. (The other one would be Ethan being Luke's son, but I called that so I wasn't too surprised)

Best Return: Emma Samms (Holly) and Jonathon Jacksons return as Lucky.

Best Story: The Car Crash (When Claudia's baby died), When Claudia kidnaps Carly, and Karaoke Nights.

Best Scene: TIE: Sonny chewing Claudia out in front of the whole party, and all the scenes when Cluaida kidnaps Carly (in the car, cabin etc.)

Best Actress: TIE: Sarah J. Brown (Claudia Zaccchara) and Laura Wright (Carly Corinthos)

Best Actor: John Ingle (Edward Quartermaine)

Best Newcomer: Aaron Refvem (Morgan Corrinthos) and Halley Pullos (Molly Lansing-Davis). Also (he's not really a "newcomer") but Jonathon Jackson has done WONDERS for the character of Lucky since his return.

One Life to Live:

Best Couple: Jessica and Brody (their developing romance, as well as Brody's fatherly connection with Brie)

Worst Couple: TIE: Norah and Clint, Rex and Gigi

Best Triangle: Norah/Bo/Clint

Worst Triangle: Rex/Gigi/Schuyler

Best Villain: Mitch Laurence

Best Twist: Rex being Mitch's son.

Best Return: Roscoe Born as Mitch Laurence

Best Story: The summer storyline with Stacy and the blood for Shane.

Best Scene: Rex and Natalie confronting Roxy about Mitch.

Best Actress: TIE: Erika Slezak (Viki) and Crystal Hunt (Stacy Morasco) (Even though STACY isnt popular, Crystal is very good as her)

Best Actor: Brian Kerwin (Charlie Banks)

Best Newcomer: Shenell Edmonds (Destiny Evans) ( I don't even think there was any other major newcomer, and I, unlike many people, Like Destiny.

• Members

I have not watched much soaps this year because "my" soaps B&B and GH hasn´t been all that great in 2009... But I will try make a list.

B&B:

Best couple: There were none in 2009.

Worst couple: Donna & Eric

Best episode: Ann dies on the beach

Worst episode: Eric fires Stephanie from Forrester

Best actor: Rick Hearst

Best actress: Susan Flannery

Best guest appearance: Betty White

Best casting news: Rick Hearst returning as Whip Jones.

Worst casting news: Bringing in 3 new young characters in 2010 (Hope, Oliver & Graham).

Best choice: Bringing in Don Diamont when Y&R fired him.

Best storyline: Stephanie joins Jackie M.

Biggest waste of talent: Lesli Kay.

GH:

Best couples: Luke & Tracy, Sam & Jason

Worst couples: Carly & Jax, Sonny & Olivia.

Best episode: Sonny´s surprise for Claudia at the party.

Best casting: James Franco.

Worst casting: That Lisa person, whoever plays her. Just annoying.

Best storyline: Carnival for sweeps.

Best actor: Tony Geary.

Best actress: Jane Elliot.

Biggest waste of talent: Jane Elliot.

All soaps....

Worst soap of 2009: The bold and the beautiful

Worst surprise: Cancellation of GL and ATWT

Worst network: CBS

Archived