ATWT Tribute Thread

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In a case of real life imitating soap Larry Bryggman discovered that he had a previously unknown daughter when,in 1977,while appearing on Broadway in The Basic Training of Pavlo Hummel with Al Pacino,he was approached by a young wonam named Heidi Brennan,who revealed that she was his daughter by an affair he'd had in summer stock many years previously.

Years later, John Dixon would discover both Margo and Duke were his children.

• Members

Thanks for the update...I was stunned that Vandenbosch died....she was the first Frannie when I was in high school...I always thought of her just staying that same age. How sad for her husband and her kids.

Well, it seems that Jamison was not only (and in my mind still is) hot, but a nice guy too.

Cool story about Brygmann, but that freakin story with Duke was so lame..I always think of that when they say he could do no wrong.

• Members

Have you ever seen this before? It was posted on CBS in March. Mid-60s or so, after Lisa had married John Eldridge and left Oakdale. I'd never seen Grandpa Hughes before. It's an interesting contrast between "Berta" and Papa Bauer, who were both high energy, with low-key Nancy and very low-key Grandpa Hughes. I guess I can see why Marlena de la Croix said he was depressing, although I think he's a good fit for the family, and he does have some wise words.

• Members

Wow, what a great find. I hope they post more pre-80s ATWT as the months wind down. I really want early 70s stuff, but I'm sure there isn't much of that to share, so I'll settle for more of the earlier stuff.

I've seen Grandpa before in the 11/22/63 episode. Comparing what I know and have seen of the two men, Papa had a hotter temper and a short fuse but, at the same time, he was a pleasant person. I think the whole "old world" part of his character contributed to that. Grandpa was definitely more placid and warmer, but like the clip shows, he could be a little uncomfortable to be around, too. Grandpa's got a very intimate way of talking to a person, too, looking directly into the eyes and talking very quietly. I don't think they're particularly depressing in that scene, it's just the particular subject of their discussion that's a little melancholic.

ETA: Oh wait, they HAVE posted some stuff. I didn't realize they had clips up already, and they've been up since March? Geez, I'm late to the party.

I know I always say this, but they really, really did a number on Ellen. I watched in an episode not more than 5 or 6 years before this, and she was still portrayed as a young woman with a young woman's voice, still very vulnerable and naive about things. Here, she's like Donna Reed, mother to two sons who look like they're ready for high school. And not even a year or so later, Dan comes home with Susan in tow. Ellen got played.

Some of these clips, I remember from when WoST celebrated ATWT and EON's anniversaries.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

Poor Pat Bruder got screwed over several times by ATWT. I guess she must have known what was coming when they fired Barbara Berjer after aging Claire (wasn't Claire Ellen's mother?). I've heard that the Dobsons did make Ellen a little younger, so I guess that was something. I just wish the show had kept Ellen around, Emily and Susan have never been the same without her.

That they put this up makes me think there's more available. ATWT's cancellation hasn't had anywhere as much attention as GL's did, I guess because now this type of move is seen as old hat, but the last CBS or P&G could do is make more stuff available for fans, if they have it. And if they wanted to make some money, they could probably sell some of this on DVD and I imagine it would do OK.

Depressing might not have been the right word, but there's something very heavy in him, which also seems to cause a bit of tension with Nancy. Wasn't there backstory that Chris left the family (was it a family farm?) to go be his own man, and Papa had to take care of things on his own? It's interesting the contrast between the louder and more hotheaded Bauers and the much quieter, more controlled Hughes. I wonder if it's the two sides of Irna Phillips. There's a strange sense of repression throughout this clip, especially when they start talking about how the family never traveled anywhere. I think that sort of stayed with Nancy for quite a while, until Douglas Marland made her softer. I wonder if that's why ATWT seemed to be Irna's baby, that sense of tight winding. That's supposedly the way she wrote Kim as well, very very closed-off, and she was so protective of Kim that it cost her her job.

It's nice to see that family presence though...these days a lot of soaps tend to sneer at families and see them as either pointless or as havens for lies and abuse.

I like this clip of Jeff and Penny, mostly for the look on Penny's face as Jeff sings to her.

• Members

Who is she talking to in that "I wouldn't come to your wedding if" scene? Joyce?

When was she raped? And what was the scene where she was driving in the car?

The scene where she hits Earl in the face with cake was the last scene Eileen taped before she quit in 1983.

Yikes at the Muppet she's wearing in the scene with Lyla.

• Members

I know, right! Lyla looks so much younger and different here than she does just a few years later.

Wasn't there behind the scenes drama surrounding Sward replacing Veleka? And I think Don H. had something to do with it.

Yeah, that was Joyce bitchily inviting Lisa to her and Grant's 1981 wedding. At the time, Joyce had Grant believing she was dying, but Lisa got wind of the scheme and backed Joyce up against a wall so that she had no choice but to reveal her scheme to Grant. Grant left town, as did Joyce.

• Members

Gregg Marx is love! I floved him as Tom. I didn't know he sang either. Interesting how HBS doesnt mention him in her interview. I love the bitching between Margo and Barbara ...and Lucinda and Susan. I miss those days.

That is Doug Wert. For a minute there I thought he was Caleb #2 Graham Winton. But it definetly is Doug.

I don't even remember Bob and Lyla being romantically involved. This is a surprise to me. I wonder what year that was.

I don't recall Lisa being raped either..that is odd...unless it was before I started watching like very very early 70's or 60's.

It was Whit she hit with the cake not Earl. She hadnt met Earl just yet.

The scene with the car is an accident she had..I dont recall the rest....

I am loving these clips ...are they on the cbs site??

• Members

I hadn't heard of any drama. That's fascinating. I guess that might explain why there was such a sudden recast.

Lyla does look a lot younger. I guess it helps that she wasn't just written as the mother figure at this time.