ATWT Tribute Thread

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

Thanks. So that's Jay again. That whole time period with Frannie's men confuses the hell out of me.

That pose of Lisa's is so bizarre, but perhaps I'm not used to seeing her dressed that way. I love the closeup of the red shoes. I think Hollyoaks must have borrowed that for Clare's red shoes exit.

• Members

Thanks. I'd heard that was her first scene back, I just had never seen the moment before. It's just so...different I guess, from how I remember Lisa. Was that what Betsy Fersturnberg dressed like?

Does anyone remember this scene, or story? What the...

• Members

Yes, that's the way Betsy Ferstumberg dressed. I still remember that scene with Fulton like it was yesterday.

I don't recall what Marcy/Kirk McColl and friends story was about. I never liked the Marcy character but loved Kirk(Christian Leblanc) character. Nowadays I'll take them over the teens now.

• Members

Marcy doesn't seem like an ATWT character to me, if that makes any sense. I do like something about her. I think if Marland had worked with her she might have been a big contributor to the younger group (as I think Tess could have been years later), but Marisa Tomei certainly didn't lose out by being written out and the show really didn't either.

Another promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4fDnLJCZlI&feature=related

• Members

Back in the day I thought Jay was kinda hot. Kirk never did anything for me, even back then CL came off as being kinda bitchy queeny. I wonder what happened to the Jay actor?

Marcy was a weird character, she was befriended by Frannie, but had issues and accused Bob of molesting her. Then she became a flighty, kinda Nola type character that Lisa took under her wing, (remember at that time and all through Marland Lisa would take all the young unnatached to families people under her wing...I always thought that was cool that she went from being a bad girl to having a heart and creating her own "family," unit. If only Gautman and Co. could have continued on, Lisa would have taken care of Molly, Carly and all the bad girls and boys simpering and flexing through Oakdale and made the show more cohesive.) and then she married that weird Prince guy who was a Stewart. Ill defined but the actress brought a sweetness to her and Fulton had good chemistry with her. At the time Marcy was after Kirk and Lisa helped her fit in with the rich crowd.

Funny, but back in that day people complained about the teens but they were all connected to a vet/older character and worked within the framework of the show, but now teens are off on their own.

• Members

Here's the stories that kept the show at #1 in 196

Lisa, Michael and Claire

After Lisa recovers from her illness, she tells Claire that she has just had Michael's baby and that she should divorce him. Claire refuses. Michael also refuses to divorce Claire to marry Lisa.

Michael would soon find himself in trouble at the hospital, and it would ironically be due to another medical case involving the Steiner family. Diane Steiner's grandmother becomes ill, and Michael is supposed to treat her, but he panics, believing Mother Steiner to be the "ghost" of his late, beloved grandmother, and he flees. Mother Steiner dies. Later that day, Michael is arrested for drunk driving. Following an inquest, Dr. Shea's medical license is suspended for six months, and he is ordered to sign an affidavit acknowledging that he is the father of Lisa's baby and promising to provide child support. Lisa shows the signed affidavit to Claire, who quickly divorces Michael.

Michael tries to woo Claire again to improve his chances of being reinstated at the hospital once he gets his license back. Strangely, Claire actually agrees to remarry Michael, until she overhears a conversation in which Michael tells a lawyer that he only wants to marry Claire to get back his hospital position. Then he'll dump her and run off with Nurse Karen Adams, his new paramour. A furious Claire works herself into a drunken stupor and stabs Michael with a letter opener. Bob and Tom find Claire lying on top of Michael. As soon as Michael recovers, he goes to David and threatens to press criminal charges against Claire unless he is reinstated. David reluctantly agrees to Michael's demands to avoid public scandal.

Bob and Sandy and Roy and Penny

Sandy returns from the sanitarium and is upset to find out that Penny is the new mother figure in her son Jimmy's life. Sandy and Bob demand custody of Jimmy from Penny and Roy on the grounds that Jimmy should be with his real mother, Sandy.

The whole custody battles resolves itself in a bizarre way. Bob, who is seeking reinstatement at the hospital, attends a lab demonstration and is blinded in an explosion. Sandy, distressed by the loss of Jimmy and the accident that has befallen Bob, runs away from home. The irony is that on that very day, Roy decides that he and Penny should return Jimmy to Sandy and Bob.

Roy and Penny get their marriage annulled and Penny leaves Oakdale for New York in June. Bob, in the meantime, is disturbed that Sandy isn't there for him in his time of need and files for a divorce on the grounds of desertion.

Tom

Tom, now a college student, becomes further estranged from his family. He is angered by Lisa's deceits involving her baby, whom she has named Charles, or Chuckie, and refuses to have anything more to do with her.

Tom's college roommate, Hank Barton, gets him hooked on speed and other narcotics and puts him up to robbing pharmacy stores in order to feed their drug habit.

Dan and Susan

Dan and Susan Stewart are carrying on a secret marriage. Both are attracted to the glamorous idea of being a husband-and-wife medical team. But the two try to hide their marriage from everybody by living in separate homes, Susan in an apartment and Dan at his parents' house. Soon Susan, much to her dismay, becomes pregnant and the truth of Dan and Susan's living arrangement comes to light when Susan becomes ill and loses the baby. David is angered by Dan's lies about his marriage to Susan and throws him out of the house.

• Members

Thanks Paul, for your recap. Was this Irna Phillips? That Mother Steiner stuff, which sounds like some sort of hellish nightmare, seems like her style. I guess this was the Penny recast? That stuff with Bob and the lab stuff blowing up in his face -- was Bill Bell still around ATWT at this time? He used that story with Ridge on B&B about 20 or 25 years later.

I didn't know Susan had ever lost a child.

Lots in here about men finding their wives unworthy and dumping them. I can't help feeling sorry for Sandy, Bob doesn't seem very supportive there. Was that the end of her character?

The Tom stuff sounds good. Storylines about getting hooked on speed were rare at that time weren't they?

Here's a clip from January 1985. It's very jumpy, so be warned, but it's interesting seeing Gregg Marx Tom and Lindsay Frost Betsy in such strange outfits that I don't remember them ever wearing later on. I guess they were still dressing Lindsay like Meg Ryan, but it does not suit her. I don't know what's going on with Tom, although he looks hot with the beard. I guess this was before ATWT got a budget increase or freed up money somewhere, because they must have, since they built the big version of Fashions later this year, didn't they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRhyw9rtZc&feature=related

• Members

That synopsis was from 1968.Irna was still writing,although I've seen mention of Katherine Babecki being the writer at the time. I hope someone can clear that up.

Penny leaving town was Rosemary Prinz' departure.

Pheobe Dorin was Penny in 1971.

Sandy was on the show 66-71.She was played by Dagne Crane.Jill Andre took over for some time in 68,Maybe other posters know the circunstances.

Sandy had a brief involement with John Dixon before leaving Oakdale with Peter Kane.

When the show expanded in 75,Sandy was brought back.Ronnie Carol was quickly replaced by Barbara Rucker (Ginny -Texas)She stayed until 79.At one point in 79, Sandy said her son Jimmy was returning to town.I'm assuming he would be SORASed.it never came to pass and Sandy was written out.

Tom being hooked on drugs was quite radical. Tom should have been 7 at the time! Irna's love of SORASing damaged the storyline over time.This was at a time soaps were beginning to deal with 'relevance'.A few shows dealt with drugs and other similar themes.

• Members

So when Rosemary Prinz said they tried to replace her but fans wouldn't go along, that was the 1971 Penny? I had thought that it was an immediate recast. Was it the Joanne Dorin Penny who was involved with Anton Cunningham and adopted the Vietnamese daughter, Amy? I'm trying to remember if Rosemary had scenes with her when they were both around in 1988. I guess they must have...anyway, they could have something really interesting with having Lien and Amy get to know each other.

As much as I think Rosemary Prinz is a dynamic and fascinating actress who did a lot to help daytime, I can't help wishing the recast had been accepted, as I think having Penny and her branch of the family would have helped keep the Hughes group more of a force on the show. Instead the Dobsons phased most of them out and they had to be rebuilt and were only limited to Bob's and Kim's kids.

Who was Peter Kane?

I didn't know John was with Sandy. Another woman he shared with Bob. I also didn't know Sandy was recast so many times. It's strange that they would have kept her around so long when her main tie to the show was just being married to Bob. I guess either she was a fan favorite or the show was used to her. I wonder what differentiated her from the other women of that era. Did the show have a set stable of bad girls (Joyce, Natalie, Susan, Lisa sort of) and good girls (Lisa sort of, Sandy, Carol, Kim) and tried to stick to that for most of the decade?

I'd never heard of this Katherine Babecki.

I wonder if Irna did the story with Tom because Lee Randolph was taking LSD around this time on AW. Was that around the same time?

The SORASing is ridiculous, and I guess that is one of the reasons Tom stayed the same age for about 15+ years. At least the Vietnam stuff led to Lien's story, which was good, at least for a few years.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Peter Kane (played by Arlen Dean Snyder) was the owner of a modelling agency and Sandy did some modelling. Her parents were also on the show and John Dixon first came on as the doctor treating Sandy's mom Martha.

Sandy was also connected to Ellen,as they met in prison and to Penny as her ex husband married her.

I wonder if the Sandy/Ellen friendship was downplayed when Ellen's son Dan was aged and Ellen was suddenly the mother of a grown son?

Penny's marriage to Anton and adoption of Amy happened offscreen after Pheobe Dorin left. Amy turned up in 73 and sought out her grandparents played by Augusta Dabney and william Prince who had been on previously playing different characters.

UI think the show would have been better off if they eased up on the SORAS.Tom and Dan would have been about the same age and young men by the mid to late 70's.They could have been friends and maybe rivals for the same girl. This would have brought Ellen and Lisa back into conflict.

Surely Irna could have come up with other stories for the parents until the boys were grown.

Annie and Dee would then be the next teens in the 80's.

So today the Stewarts and Hughes would be represented by older characters and Tom,Dan and Paul's children etc

• Members

I'd forgotten Sandy and Ellen were friends at one point. Poor Pat Bruder, I guess it's a minor soap miracle she didn't end up like Barbara Berjer/Claire Cassen.

That's odd that ATWT would hire Dabney and Prince twice. Were they just on a short term basis only the second time? Did the show have any plans to keep Amy around? A story with an Asian heroine at that time would have been something very different for daytime, but I guess like with LIAMST, they backed down. Did she interact with the rest of the Hughes in any meaningful way? I know when she was on briefly in 1988 Frannie lived with her when they were starting to phase Frannie out of the show for Julianne Moore's departure.