ATWT Tribute Thread

• Members

Thanks for the clips Carl

I floved Hugo Napier! Gunner and Barbara were golden. I did love the triangle with James. I remember Greta returning after James death. I think Andrew Kavovit was playing the role as Paul at the time.

I liked this Dee.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Do you think that James was different in his first few years than later on?

Does anyone else wish they would retcon the bit about Henry being James's son?

This clip was put up a few years ago but it's the only one on that channel so it might not be seen by as many people. Apparently it's James and his assistant Nels...

• Members

After Jennifer's death,Bob had involvements with Joyce,Valerie and Lisa before meeting Karen. After Karen,there was Dana,then Lyla before his next marriage to Miranda.

Dec 77 SOD synopsis- his initial meeting with Karen.

What Lisa wants most in life right now is to have her husband back – and she’ll do anything and say anything to achieve this end. She can no longer play games. The time has come for complete honesty – the brutal naked truth is her last hope for saving her marriage.

Lisa calls Grant and asks to see him. She arrives at his office without her customary bravado. Shyly she sits herself down in one of his chairs and begins to relate what really happened between her and Bob. She says the passion was strictly one-sided. Bob didn’t encourage her in any way. He always made it very clear that he felt nothing for her other than a deep and caring friendship – but she blinded herself to this truth. She continued to pursue him until he was forced to tell her to her face that he didn’t love her. Lisa concludes her revelation by saying, “Grant, I now know it was a foolish desire I carried around for Bob, and I am very sorry for turning away from you. Please give me another chance.” Lisa then breaks down in tears. Grant takes her in his arms and comforts her. He says okay, he’ll give her another chance, but before he moves back into the house he wants the two of them to have a serious discussion. To insure the success of their union, he wants each one to tell the other what each expects from the marriage. Lisa agrees to this request. They set up a date to meet later that week.

For the hundredth time, Jay is going over his books with Mary and Laurie. He’s going to find how Pete Larsen was stealing from him if it takes all night. He tried to beat it out of the guy at the construction site, but all that resulted in was the cops being called in and breaking up the fracas. Suddenly the intense concentration of these three people is broken by Jay shouting, “I found it! I know how Pete was cheating me.” Jay then dons his coat and dashes out of the office, telling Mary and Laurie he’s going over to Pete’s place and make him pay up.

Jay arrives at his former foreman’s apartment and bangs loudly on the door. He’s unaware that his violent antics are being observed by one of Pete’s neighbors. Jay’s loud shouting frightens the middle-aged woman and she dashes back into her apartment.

An hour or so after his encounter with Pete, Jay shows up at Melinda’s apartment. Melinda notices Jay is pretty shaken and she asks what’s the matter. Jay tells her about his verbal fight with Pete Larsen. There was a lot of yelling but no hitting. Pete finally saw the light and agreed to pay him back the money.

FRIGHTENING NEWS

On his way home to Carol and his apartment, Jay hears the announcer’s voice on the car radio blare forth some very frightening news. It went as follows: “PETE LARSEN WAS FOUND DEAD IN HIS APARTMENT. THE POLICE SUSPECT HE WAS MURDERED. FIRST INDICATIONS ARE HE WAS SEVERELY BEATEN.” Jay shudders. He needs an alibi. He didn’t kill Pete (when he left the man’s apartment, he was very much alive) but who will believe him after the way he was talking about the guy. Jay calls his friend, Fred McNeil, and asks him to be his alibi. When the police question him, he’ll tell them he was with him (Fred) the whole night. If he tells the police the truth, they’ll never believe he left Pete alive in his apartment. Fred agrees to come through for Jay. He’ll second Jay’s story to the authorities. Jay breathes easier. He arrives home and makes up with Carol. They agree to be more sensitive to the other’s needs. Jay doesn’t tell her the truthful events of that evening. He tells her his alibi story. He still can’t be honest with her.

Jay has been arrested for suspicion of murder. The woman who saw Jay enter Pete’s apartment, put aside her fears, and went to the police. The police then called Jay and asked him to come down to headquarters. They said they had some more questions to ask him. While Jay is being interrogated, the woman identifies Jay as the man who burst into Pete’s apartment. Jay says she’s crazy, he was with Fred McNeil. The police then bring Fred into the room. Fred tells Jay he told the police the truth. Once he found out Jay lied to him, he could no longer be his alibi. Jay could say nothing further. The police book him, and Jay calls Laurie and asks her to get in touch with Tom.

Tom arrives at headquarters and bails Jay out. They then return to Jay’s apartment. Carol welcomes him with loving arms. She had been informed of his arrest by Judge Lowell. Carol asks Jay to now tell her the whole truth. Jay does…well, almost. He tells her about his verbal argument with Pete, but he doesn’t tell her nor Tom that he went to Melinda’s afterwards. (She’s his alibi, but it’s an alibi which could destroy his marriage.) He just says that after leaving Pete’s dwelling, he drove around, stopping first at an out-of-the-way coffee shop and then at a bar.

Tom tells Carol things look very bad for Jay. As it stands now, all the evidence is stacked against him. He had the motive and he’s the only one who has been pinpointed at the scene of the crime. It’s not very likely that the police will look for anyone else.

Depression is no longer hindering John’s recovery. He now has found a reason for living…and he owes it all to Mary. After all, if it weren’t for her, Dr. Alex Keith would never have seen his manuscript…and the completion of this manuscript is now what’s keeping him going.

Dr. Keith is very high on the book. He told John it’s going to be an important medical text. It will open many doors for him. It may even get him back into a hospital. Alex’s words made John’s spirits soar. He immediately calls Mary and asks if she’ll help with the typing of the book. Mary wants to free herself of John…but she can’t. She keeps remembering that he saved her life, she agrees to assist.

Mark was hoping to get out of the hospital in the very near future. He becomes very depressed when he realizes this dream isn’t to become a reality. His body seems to be losing the battle against his disease. Susan tries to cheer him up…but she fails. She’s trying very hard to keep her objectivity…will she be able to keep on doing so? She can’t deny that she’s suffering along with the boy.

WILL BEAU SHOW HIS TRUE COLORS?

Jane wants to give Beau and Annie a very extravagant gift. She wants to bestow upon them a joint membership in Oakdale’s very exclusive and elite country club. Beau wants to accept the gift; Annie is hesitant. She isn’t the country club type. Beau, so far, is adhering to his wife’s wishes, but knowing Beau, how much longer will he continue to live in poverty?

Grant has moved back into the house. He has decided to give his marriage a second chance. His talk with Lisa was very satisfactory. She seemed very sincere when she told him that this time she’ll be much more sensitive to his needs. She’ll also be more open and direct about her feelings. There’ll be no more game playing. Lisa’s words caused Grant to feel that their marriage now has a very good chance of turning into a long and fulfilling union.

Grant goes to see Val and tells her of his decision. Val fights back the tears. She was silently hoping he wouldn’t go back to Lisa. She has come to care for this man very deeply. She would have liked nothing more than to have been his new love. Val prays that Lisa will treat him right.

Bob has been living a very quiet life these days…but is that soon to change? Is a new love about to enter his life? Could be. He doesn’t yet know her name, but from the first minute he saw her, at a department store, when she gave his daughter a little gift, he knew he’d never forget her. She has left a very strong impression in his mind. He’s very intrigued.

For a while, Mark’s future looked very hopeful. His test revealed he was showing great progress battling his disease…but now he has once again taken a turn for the worse. He has developed pneumonia.

David learns the news and prays Susan will be able to handle this critical time in Mark’s life. One would have to be blind not to notice how attached she has become to this young man…and this type of deep attachment could be very damaging to Susan. Will she have the strength to weather the storm?

CONCERN FOR A FRIEND

Kim and Dan are very worried about Mary’s involvement with John. They have been noticing that she’s been spending more and more time with him at the hospital. She doesn’t have to devote that much time helping him with his book.

They both can’t help but feel that John isn’t the right man for her. She’s so sweet, innocent, and trusting. John will only hurt her again. He swears he’s changed, but they have their doubts – that much evil could not have been obliterated so quickly.

Jane throws a big, gala bash honoring Beau and Annie. She tried to keep it simple, but somehow it wound up being the party event of the season. The guest list included many of Beau’s old friends, as well as the rich, the prominent and the powerful.

It’s an old, familiar world to Beau and he easily slips back into it. He hardly notices that his wife is having a slightly harder time adapting. Annie spends most of the evening on the sidelines. She tries, but she can’t really be comfortable amongst Oakdale’s Beautiful People. She looks over at her husband and silently wishes he shared her uneasiness…but it’s obvious he doesn’t. She has never seen him happier. Annie then makes a decision which she later voices to Beau. She says they can accept his mother’s gift of membership to the country club.

Susan’s frazzled state propels David to have it out with Alex. He accuses Alex of using Susan…and now abandoning her. She’s driving herself to the breaking point because she’s worried about Mark…and she’s worried about Mark because Alex got her involved with him. Susan needs help and Alex has to be the one to give it. It’s only right.

Alex is not as insensitive as he comes on, and David’s words quickly hit him where he lives. He immediately lets his real self shine through – and it’s a kind, gentle spirit who approaches Susan and says he’s taking her home. He won’t take no for an answer. He’ll leave word with the hospital to contact them at her apartment if there’s any change in Mark.

A PLEASING SURPRISE

Susan is too wound up to relax. She tells Alex she’s afraid to be alone. She’s afraid of what she might do. Alex says he’ll stay the night with her. He’ll sleep on her couch…and then in the morning they can go to the hospital together. Susan is very thankful for Alex’s kindness – and she’s also very surprised by this compassionate side of his nature. She’s beginning to think that she judged him too harshly; he’s not such a monster after all.

The next day when they return to the hospital, they receive some very good news. Mark’s fever is down. He’s beginning to fight his pneumonia. He’s on the road to recovery. Susan and Alex have never felt happier or more relieved in their lives.

With their reconciliation still at the infant stage, Lisa has already displeased her husband. He didn’t like the fact that she made two fairly important decisions without taking a moment to consult him. He thought she agreed that this time a thing like that wouldn’t happen again. She was going to be more considerate of his needs and feelings. Lisa apologizes for her insensitivity, but Grant is still left with a slight twinge of doubt about his decision to give his marriage a second chance. Was he too hasty in assuming that Lisa could really change?

Mary is a very important person in John’s life and what he wants more than anything is to reestablish a deep, personal relationship with her…and he feels he can do it. He knows just the right buttons to push to draw her closer to him. He can win…as long as he doesn’t get any outside interference. But that’s exactly what he has gotten. Mary tells him, she has been warned against him. She won’t say who did the warning, but John assumes it’s his old nemesis, Dan. John makes plans for revenge.

He thinks one good way to get at Dan is to widen the breach between him and Alex. Wearing his most sincere countenance, John tells Alex he’d be wise to keep a close eye on Dan. He’s not as forthright and honest as he appears. He’s really a back stabbing bastard of the highest order. Alex tried to make light of John’s warning, but it’s obvious it has left a deep and lasting impression on him.

• Members

Wow, AH is the hotness in that clip, you could see why both Babs and Margo was hot for him (but him for MC's Margo, that never made sense.) James was Prince Charming when he came to town, and for a while up to his wedding to Babs, where we found out he lied to her (about the Stenbeck inheritance, leading to those nuts kidnapping her and shooting her) and his affair with Margo. Nels was his assistant, flunky, (James was the one who ran John down, but he stuck Niles with the rap) and there was always a little homoerotic thing going on there... I think poor Nels was always in love with James...(always thought it was funny that they should have revealed that Nells came back and shot him one of the million times he was shot.)

• Members

I think Velka Gray is maybe saying that DH wanted his wife on to cover up the fact that rumours were that no one liked her on the set, she was always causing problems. VG was age appropriate for Lyla while AS was not, I think she was three years older then Colin. I forgot that Sward was such a hottie when she first came on...you could see Bob falling for her, but I think they tried to age her later and made her look more matronly (ala Ellen Stewart.)

Bauers in comparison to Hughes. I always thought Bert was a better matriach, as CB played her with so much warmth and gusto..you could see why she was matriach of Springfield as everyone would be drawn to her. Nancy Hughes not so much..even after Marland took the piss out of her, Wagner is a much more distant actress the CB was..no matter how many dears they would have her end her say, she always came off as cold, maybe why the Dobsons didt like her. Though I have to say she warmed up as she got into her 80's...(and no one put Lisa in her place as well.)

• Members

Hearing Zsa Zsa Gabor's name in the news lately reminds me of the story about when she was on ATWT. She was supposed to play Miranda's mother, but when Zsa Zsa got on the set and found out about that, she said "OH no dahlings. I don't play anybody's mother". So they made her Miranda's sister.

• Members

There is a certain homoerotic element from Nels (even if that name reminds me of Little House). I don't remember them doing that with James later on, his henchmen were either tough guys like that dirty cop, what was his name, Nick? Or the Lawrence daughter.

This has been on Youtube for a few years but it's a nice example of early Lisa in action, and an example of why Ellen probably hated her so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xf74BH0nvc

Both Anne and Linda Rapleye didn't look that much older than Colin or even HBS. I wonder if that was part of the show's move away from older actors at that time, although they were still believable as Margo's mother and aunt.

When they'd let Anne wear something besides the nurse's uniform or frumpy dresses she was very pretty.

Still can't believe they didn't even bring Lyla back for the finale...

• Members

Does anyone know when the Hughes living room set stopped being seen? Most shots from the 60's show that room,whereas stuff from the 70's shows the kitchen.

Anthony Herrera played Mark Galloway on ATWT.He was also on Secret Storm,Y&R and Search before coming on as James.

• Members

I know they showed it up to and including the Dobsons era, until Helen Wagner left. I know they showed it during Thanksgiving and Christmas of what 1979 or 80? So probably, Christmas 1979 was the last time we saw it...(dimbulbs Dobsons, ruining the longest running marriage in soaps at that time forcing Wagner to leave. )

It would be nice if they recreated the set one last time (it wasnt fancy) and have Bob and Kim visit it,and seeing a nice young couple(maybe someone of color) raising their kids in the house...to show how times have changed and stayed the same while ATWT was on the air.

• Members

I think it was -- something like 13 million? Sometimes it's hard to remember just how hugely popular Steve and Betsy were. I'm surprised the show never tried to delve back into that later on...

If anyone's interested, someone over the past few years has been putting up some clips of Jessica and Duncan.

Edited by CarlD2