November 23-27, 2009

Toups

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wonder what the ratings for GH will be this week. The Franco appearance did not attract viewers for his first day and it certainly is a dark story. GH seems to only do dark, depressing, sleazy and angry anymore. While I think the Franco story can be compelling, the remainder of the show, specifically the triangle of Lucky-Elizabeth-Nikolas disgusts me. GH does not, IMO, deserve to increase in ratings.

I think the only salvation for all ABC soaps is an executive change, starting with the removal of Brian Frons as President of ABC Daytime. If one show under his management was struggling, replace the head writer and EP. If ALL soap operas under Frons' management are failing, he and others in charge need to be replaced.

• Members

OK :unsure: I think this multi-quote deal worked me over

I multi-task while I'm posting sometimes.

I have to pay better attention...sorry...

In response to the poster re: the Franco Factor

on our podcast I said most posters at SON

kept saying that Franco isn't as big a deal as I seemed

to think it is...all the media hype and buzz...so I gave them their

props big time...cause I thought they would gain viewers his debut week

I really thought it would be a significant difference err towards the positive.

but this week will tell the tale...I don't know how much he was on because

I am so alienated by GH I have to be in a certain mood to watch their show.

I think too

that when GuZa stated in the rag mag that only the "Major" characters

would interact with Franco followed up by the "memo" not

to bother him by the little people who act their butts off for this show

For me and maybe some others as well, it was a major turn off ...what is everybody else who toil in the trenches on the front

chopped liver?

I thought it was condescending and quite arrogant and agree with an actor who anonymously responded

"they are all actors" this highlights GH problem they have favorites and it shows up

in story if they were better writers I wouldn't see it and hear the pimping in their dialog...but since they are not, I do. But I have it and ATWT on my recorder anyway....I don't want another soap to die

• Members

Y&R is the worst its been in a couple of years. I can't believe how bad its gotten on that show. It is completely dull and boring right now and that's not an overstatement by any means of the imagination. I'm right with the rest of you guys, the show needs some changes behind the scenes. Y&R was so good last season but its gone completely bad. I want this show to do better and it needs some major changes in its focus.

The rest of the CBS soaps haven't been on its game either but ATWT has probably been the best of the bunch yet its getting the worst of the ratings b/c of its timeslot. I've got a feeling after months of being canceled in 2010 will still be around for another year. CBS should be able to handle 3 soaps rather than the 4 they had with GL. B&B has been real average as of late and could be a whole lot better but its clearly turned into the #3 soap due to the fact that.....

DAYS has become the best soap right now and #2 ratings wise. DAYS IS ON FIRE! I still can't believe how this show went from being the first of the remaining eight soaps to leave with a 1.7 all the way back to a 2.3 and becoming one of the few NBC programs with a positive story. DAYS deserves to stay at 2.3 or go up to 2.5 in the near future. The Comcast deal gives the network a hell of a lot more money to keep the soap around for years. When NBC becomes a 24/7 network, they will have more hours during the day to program so they will be able to keep it around or produce a second soap. NBC Daytime could easily be the #1 daytime network led by Today and DAYS if they refocus here in the next few years.

ABC is still a mess right now but I've enjoyed GH during sweeps although there's some parts in the show that needs some works. Hopefully it goes up but I highly doubt it. OLTL is simply the best soap on ABC since 2008 and its a darn shame the ratings always have to follow how AMC and GH does. DAYS is slightly better quality wise than OLTL but it should be getting a 2.1 or 2.2 on a regular basis.

As for AMC with their being changes behind the scenes to LA with HD and head writing changes there's no reason for me to watch AMC until February.

• Members

Being the best soap on ABC is like being the least syphilitic hooker on a streetcorner. If DAYS is only "slightly" better then why has it managed to bring thousands of viewers back while OLTL hasn't? IMO, OLTL is a niche soap wildly popular with it's devotees but lacking widespread appeal. It's essentially the new Passions. And there's nothing wrong with that. Passions made it's audience very happy as does OLTL.

I agree with you on AMC.

Archived