GH: December Discussion Thread

• Members

Being the moral center of a soap opera does not make for a very interestng character. Couple that with the fact that the writing for Robin has been horrible since KMc returned to the role. Nothing and I mean nothing in the past years since her return have I found appealing. Robin used to be an enjoyable character. I find her himdrum, boring,and sadly KMc's an actress I loved, pretty stale in the role. I do think more is the writing because Guza has no idea how to write these moral women. Georgie - she was cheated on right by Dillon who was impotent with her if I recall. Then they killed off Georgie. Emily was stabbed, raped, almost murdered many and time and killed off eventually. Lila Q was a perfect moral center and perhaps they really do need Genie back on this show to fill that role.

I think GH more than any other soap has some of the more unappealing females on canvas. The actresses are pretty but so what.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL! I would have thought that the people who complain that Robin is too judgmental or self-righteous would have enjoyed her telling Liz that she is a good and kind person and shouldn't beat herself up for cheating on Lucky. Isn't that what people want? They want characters to be blindly supportive of each other even when they are doing something terribly wrong. GH is famous for enabling corrupt and immoral behavior and most fans like that which is why Robin is bashed whenever she speaks up.

• Members

Given how casually Laura accepted Liz's adultery and having a mobster's child, and how casually she apparently accepted Luke cheating on her while she was pregnant (didn't Luke imply she even knew at the time and didn't care?), I'm not sure if she'd fill that role now.

I think all the women on GH are horribly written, and fit a very narrow range of the spectrum. The show just doesn't like women very much. They see women as the blow-up dolls or worthless nags who distract the boys from playing with each other.

• Members

Viki Buchanan was the moral center of OLTL for eons and she had a neverending supply of interesting problems. You need someone to be morally pure so they can look aghast at everyone else, and be perennially miserable and plotted against. Robin is just a drip. The weird thing about her PPD story was with PPD she was almost exactly the way she was normally.

On another note, who edited my post? I referred to Vincent Pastorwhatever by the name he is most known for, there is no connotation I can think of since it is just his name, like the Bond Girl in Goldfinger, and it was edited out and replaced with #$^%@# mumbojumbo. Seemed a little prudish.

• Members

Lila also looked the other way as people cheated and betrayed each other. I never saw her as this moral center. She was an enabler. They went to her when they wanted to feel better about their terrible behavior. I couldn't stand it.

ITA. The difference between how women on GH are written and how women on Days are written is striking. When the women on GH call out the men about their bad behavior, they are portrayed as nags even when they are right.

• Members

Which is why I can't see how anyone sees any of these women remotely attractive or fun. TO each his own. Maybe being aan older women(late 30's) I see things differently than some of the younger women. I don't find any women on GH strong, fun or remotely interesting. They are as you said all enablers for the men on the show. Aside from maybe Carly. The rest look terrible. I like soapy story telling but I also like stories centered around strong women. The DDays baby switch story while includng EJ as part of it as it should have, was about Nicole and Sami and the reactions to the switch were played out as such. Jakes paternity secret on GH was entirely played out as a source of pain for Jason. All the other chararacters were supporting characters in HIS story including St. Liz. But does any show really have a moral center? Is Katherine on Y&R that? Yeah I guess Viki is a really good example on OLTL but show's need this IMO. And moral center does not equal Robin patting Liz on the head telling her it's ok or Liz excusing her affair by comparing the sex to her first sexual experience which was rape. Who knew rape was an act of sex and not violence.

• Members

The best part of this episode was Rebecca sticking it to Liz and telling the kids a story about their mother and uncle's scuzziness. Hilarious. I want this Rebecca to stay and torment Liz and the Puffy Prince.

This must be the millionth time that I have watched Sonny run his game on a new woman. It is a bore.

Jason and Sam are too stupid to live. Franco should kill them and put us out of our misery.

• Members

Can I say something. After watching today I can;t believe they wasted Natalia all this year sucking up to lameass Nikolas and working with boring Tyler. Today was a thing of beauty and crap she was terrific or else I just hate the character of Liz so much it was just reward for once. It was actually a pretty brilliant scene. I have no doubt they are going to turn her psychotic to sell poor poor Liz and Nikolas as victims. There is always a character sacrificed when they have to go overboard to try and sell a Nikolas romance. At least she gets to do something interesting her last few weeks on the show. And calling Nikolas a fake and hypocrite. How true was that. When was the last time they allowed any female to refer to him less than honorable. I honestly wish they'd turn her back into Emily right before her exit so she could stick it even more to the 2 hypocrites.

Sonny? How many times are we going to see the same old lame story play out with him. ANd in this case I don't evem see that the actors have any chemistry. Heck I'd even take Kate or Emily back over this nonsense. This show is beyond pathetic. The same old tired Sonny romance crap. This show has zero originality when it comes to Sonny and now they can't even find an actress Mo clicks with on screen. O don't see many Sonny fans wanting him with Olivia.

And for all the cries on the board about how good Jason and Sam are back together. This pairing has quickly become super dull. Man I wish they would have kept GV's Lucky for Sam.

• Members

How so? I actually like Carly and LW, but the character is possibly the worst enabler of them all. She's always making excuses for Jason and usually for Sonny too, unless he has recently been responsible for someone in the family getting shot. Then she's mad at him for a week or two before she forgives him.

Yes, but Lila was 80 years old, so her unconditional love and acceptance made a certain sense. Watching Robin do it is just painful. This is something I lay right at the feet of Guza/Frons. They've gotten rid of nearly everyone over 40, so you have 30 year olds in the role of matriarch, it's ridiculous. I don't know how KMac spits out some of those lines with a straight face.

Attractive yes, fun only periodically.

• Members

I think people who wanted them back together were remembering some of the times way back when that they used to sometimes have fun and laugh. Unfortunately, Jason does not do any of that now. All this Franco story is really doing is reinforcing just how little purpose Jason has on the show these days.

As for Lila as the moral voice, I thought it worked well enough until Jason became a mob thug. Then GH started with the endless scenes of showing how sad Lila would be if anyone dared speak against Jason, all while Jason's constant betrayals of his family seemed to not phase her. They turned Lila into nothing more than a Jason prop, just as they did to Emily and Monica.

• Members

Yeah and the same applies to Carly. Carly is the biggest enabler of Sonny and Jason but no one else. JAx and all the other men are her enablers.

As for the women being attractive, I didn't mean in the physical sense. I don't find anything remotely attractive about any of the female characters personalitywise for exactly that reason. Being enablers and weak for the most part. They are all carbon copies of each other. Tracy and Alexis 2 characters I loved are shell of who they once were. Well maybe not Alexis. She's actually a hyprocrite also. Robin I can't even build up any feeling for anymore and she used to once be my favorite female on the show. Of course that was pre-2005 when she came back and Guza started his hack job on her too.

• Members

I hate Liz (must always preface any discussion about her with that aside), but it would have possibly been a bit of a ratings draw if JJ came back to the show and was actually reunited with his original screen partner. Maybe. I think anyone with a feel for there lapsed audience would have at least tried it that way, but instead that pairing is at it's lost point ever. Now personally, I'm hoping LL2 dies a slow painful death so I can have Lucky/Maxie, but still, at least try to get your viewers back.

Archived