Y&R Dennis Cole

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When Lance was recast,they decided to go in a completely different direction by casting Cole.It didn't work and Lance was written out.

I wonder if things would have been different had they gone for an actor with the same qualities as john McCook.

He started in soaps as Duke Spaulding on the short lived morning soap Paradise Bay.

It's always interesting to find out what has happened to actors once they fade from the limelight.

• Members

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE Dennis Cole. He is one of those faces that I automatically see when I think of late 70s/early 80s TV, even though he was just a character actor doing guest shots. Off the top of my head, I remember him on Charlie's Angels, Fantasy Island, The Love Boat, Three's Company, and Matt Houston. I always liked his extremely blond hair.

RIP!

• Members

Thanks for the promos. The one has Busmalis from Oz, and the other has Captain Kangaroo when CBS finally got rid of his show.

The Y&R sections are also good...it's a very interesting style, the Daydreams one.

I'm sorry to hear of Dennis's passing. I mostly knew him for being married to Jaclyn Smith, and for the photos he took in the magazines that used to thrive in the 70s/early 80s. I'm sure it must have been very difficult replacing John McCook.

I thought he was on Y&R for longer than he was.

He used to sing too, didn't he, or was that only McCook?

• Members

He was on for 3 years, if I remember right, at least 2 1/2...1980, 81, and 82. I think McCook left in the spring of 1980 (Not completely sure). That "Daydreams" promo was captivating, wasn't it? That was an actual scene from an episode, Lorie looking into the mirror and the two men superimposed in the shot.... beautifully done. I really miss Conboy's style. I think Dennis Cole really played the part the same way, he just looked so physically different, that it jolted many people. He was much prettier than McCook, as far as I was concerned. McCook's puckery looking mouth always bothered me. And I do think Dennis Cole sang as well. Damn, he was beautiful:

Dennis+Cole68.jpg

• Members

Now I remember. After Dark. That magazine had a number of guys who also did soaps at some time in their career (I remember a very nice photo of Mark LaMura). Too bad that type of thing isn't around now.

It sounds like Dennis had a tough life, especially the past year.

So how did the LLLL thing end up? I know Lorie left alone. Did Leslie stay with Lucas or did she have a happy ending with Lance?

Y&R has changed so much over the years it's hard to remember just how dominant that storyline once was. They're still my father's main memory of the show. I think bringing Lorie back a few years ago was an interesting way to cash in on those days, but the execution wasn't there.

• Members

Lucas - I can't remember when he left. I wonder if he was even still there when Vanessa plunged to her death?

Lance - He believed that Lorie could have killed Vanessa. Victor was Lorie's tireless defender. To avenge Lance's faithlessness, he bought the company out from under Lance. Lance was a broken man, and left town.

Lorie - The Prentiss Industry takeover was why Lorie ended up agreeing to marry Victor. She asked for Prentiss Industries as her wedding gift. Victor (somewhat reluctantly) agreed, and gave her the stock certificate on the eve of the wedding. She absconded with it and left town to return the company to Lance, leaving a tearful and regretful goodbye letter in her wake. Lorie returned for Victor and Nikki's wedding, and she was clearly still attracted to TGVN. Victor seemed to have forgiven her. We know Lorie didn't "end up" with Lance, because she turned out to have been married to "Max" when we last saw her in the Jack Smith era.

Leslie - in the time before her departure, she entered into a relationship with Robert Laurence (Peter Brown), a "widowed" lawyer with a young daughter (Angela, played by Liz Keifer). As things grew closer, it was revealed Robert had a wife in a sanitarium. When the wife returned to her family, Leslie decided to go to Europe with Maestro Fautsch (as I recall). The Laurence family was quickly reunited (they had moved into the Prentiss home, formerly occupied by Vanessa), and then left town. I believe Laurence also served as Lorie's defense attorney in her Vanessa-murder trial...and I seem to recall Laurence returned one other time for another case...but I can't remember what that was.

• Members

HUGE exp​ression of love for finding that. ETA: How did Lucas end up leaving??

Damn, I loved Jaime Lyn Bauer with the fire of a thousand suns!

Of course, ole Vanessa wouldn't have looked quite so -- ahem -- intact after plunging from the penthouse balcony. I don't suppose you can find that jumping scene, can you? That was amongst my top ten "howler" moments on this show...back when they were actually pretty few and far between (making them more special). I was a little miffed when they repeated this story -- after a fashion -- when George Rawlings framed Paul for his murder.

But Cassandra was another one I just loved...human perfection...and I loved how half the cast (including Victor) got involved in solving the mystery. And the conclusion of that tale -- Mark Derwin's Adrian rigging a gun to fire after dry-ice locking the trigger slowly disappeared -- was another great moment on this show. I really regretted when Cassandra suddenly died, and I especially regretted when Brad got her house and money.

• Members

Actually.. I have it. :blush: I'll have to get it to someone who knows how to do youtube. (hint hint.. private message me, somebody) But as we know, the lovely Dennis Cole did ALOT of great shots that were published in various places. I'm not posting them HERE... but here's the link to the NC-17 shots, for adults only (Look VERY closely at the one in the shower!)

http://www.omgblog.com/2009/04/omg_hes_naked_dennis_cole.php

• Members

Yeah, I remember him from Love Boat and being married to JS/Charlie Angels.

I just have to say I have the biggest smile on my face, when I read Matt Houston. I totally forgot about that show. I use to love that show in middle school and thought Lee Horsley was a cute older man. :)

Archived