October 26-30, 2009

Toups

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree

I look it all as drama, whether it be on stage, broadway, movie short film whatever its the same for me

I don't delineate good performances by button holing them in the context of which is superior to another and all that

You have your Tony awards, Oscars, SAG, Emmy, whatever Int'l film festival awards, Sundance, webisodes, comedy old school/new school

I'm a huge 3 stooges fan since five yrs old I still watch them the only thing different is I have their eppys downloaded now.

I look at all of this...I like drama in its various forms so its of no consequence to me where I find it.

Besides according to Jonathan Reiner (Producer) DC #466

http://www.pupuplatters.com/pupuplayer/pro/pupuplayer_pro.php?id=289

"Daytime is dying but so is TV in general ratings are down across the board (eg Primetime).

scripted shows that have many soap opera elements, audience is not responding to TV the way they use to"

IMO just as a viewer

because of the advance of technology people are viewing media more differently than

they ever have and a lot of TV I watch is online.

• Members

I came back to ATWT just to watch Carly's return and Brad's last days, i do not know if i am going to stick around for more, i really can't stomach this show without Martha Byrne as Lily. The new Lily is just awful, a Meg clone.

I am watching DAYS this week, full episode for the first time in almost 2 decades, and i am enjoying it so far.

Loved the Y and R halloween episode

• Members

I agree. But for me the tiresome part is this belief on the part of some soap fans - certainly not all - that daytime fans should hold soaps to a lower standard. With the exception of a few extreme fandoms, it's perfectly acceptable to call out bad writing or bad management without being labeled "disloyal" or accused of "hating the genre." But with soaps we're supposed to hope all shows go up every week because that's what's best for the genre regardless of how low the quality of the actual show. That's the definition of being a "good" soap fan.

For me the only war between daytime and primetime is in the way they treat they're viewers. Primetime treats its viewers as customers and shareholders, daytime treats them like craft services.

• Members

You mean fans of both daytime and primetime?

I kind of disagree. Why would I want it to go up if it sucks? Because it will save the genre? I don't think so. And doesn't this mark a sharp contrast between your earlier thesis that soaps should first die and then be reborn?

:)

• Members

No I mean those purist soap fans who say that soaps are special and magical filled with "families we grow up with" and precious "history," yet primetime is just the sex and violence filled opiate of the masses

Sorry. I wasn't clear. I think the belief that we should hope all soaps go up for the sake of the genre is pitiful and delusional. But that makes me evil. I completely stand by my statements that, without a serious shift, current soaps are played out. I'm really looking forward to CC's Venice. Not because I was an Otalia fan, I wasn't. But because I think Chappell is a brilliant, talented woman and I want to see what she comes up with when she and isn't held down by the soap establishment.

• Members

ITA. The threat of the cancellation makes prime time producers and writers strive to put out quality shows. They are, of course, helped by the fact that they only have to produce one show per week. However, because their series can be cancelled at any time, they don't write rapists as heroes and try harder not to insult the viewers' intelligence. Daytime, on the hand, thinks that the audience are uneducated housewives stuck in the 1950s who can be trained to like the BS that is churned out on their screens.

Archived