Great Women of Soaps

• Members

Mo Garrett, who did she play?

I wish Dynasty had done more with Dominique. She ended up devolving into a mess of mother love stories.

I do think Emma Samms had the potential to play an edgy Fallon, if they'd made the effort. In the last season she was sort of that way. I remember the mud fight between Sammy Jo and Fallon, over Jeff, until finally they said, "Why are we fighting over HIM? He's not worth it!" I loved that so much.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really? Poor guy, I sure hope he pulls through. :( Nolan Miller singlehandedly redefined fashion in the mid-1980s. People were still wearing those power suits right through the 90s (I remember the wardrobe he gave LAD in Sunset Beach). He was incredibly influenced by the 1940s, the Rita Hayworths, Joan Crawfords and Lauren Bacalls and you could see that throughout Dynasty and The Colbys.

I love that shot of Diahann Carroll. The draping, the brooch. A diva like her could still wear that today and pull it off, but only the divas would have the confidence to wear it. The material looks very luxe, too. Miller famously had no budget limits at Dynasty. Spelling told him to just make it and send him the bill later.

• Members

I hope so too. Do you perhaps know whether he still has his own boutique somewhere in Beverly Hills?

I don't see Greta Garbo there. :o:P It certainly gave a complete new turn to that whole wave of Hollywood glamour intially created by Edith Head, Adrian and Hubert de Givenchy.

You are free to use the shot. :D While you're mentioning that no-limit things, do you perhaps know of any interviews with him about his work on Dynasty?

• Members

Nope, I don't know whether the boutique is still around. I wondered whether it had already closed when Spelling hired him out of retirement for Sunset Beach in 1997.

And off the top of my head, I don't know of any interviews. You should do a search of TV Guide's archives -- they may have interviewed him in the mid-80s. I know they did an awesome interview with Stephanie Beacham after her first few months on the Colbys.

• Members

Nice to see so many like minds, that picture of Diahann in the beige turban is one of my favorites. She has such a perfect face. Here's video of her performing in that number she's wearing on the cover of her autobio (a great read, read it in high school): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0KSj1Ku99I

Yeah, after watching Nolan Miller's TV Archive interview on YouTube, I Google'd him and read some comments about him being ill with lung cancer. This was on a QVC/HSN (?) board, where he sells his own line of jewelry. But this was like two years ago, and I haven't heard much about it since. I hope he's doing better. Apparently, he's one of the many people who developed lung cancer and never smoked.

He's said that Diahann and Stephanie wanted wardrobes like Joan's (the peplum suits, et cetera), but TPTB were insistent (especially with Sable) that their characters didn't look like Alexis clones. Honestly, I think Dominique got the best wardrobe, but perhaps that's a matter of personal taste. Alexis' was the most OTT, but I liked Dom's palette (which Nolan and Diahann originally wanted to be all black and white but that proved too difficult to film, throwing off the color balance of the camera).

• Members

That scene with Dominique in the taupe cowl is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO2Q3TAsSMg. She's also got a huge sable muff on her arm.

Sylph, here's a link to Nolan's Archive of Television interview (several parts), as well as another interview he did for a TV magazine news show: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22Nolan+Miller%22&search_type=&aq=f

• Members

"Incidentally, Dominique Devereaux is an awesome name for a magnetic businesswoman! A first and last name beginning with the same letter is always a good place to start, as is something French-sounding." -Cat

That sounds like a line straight from Chapter 1 of the "How to Be a Fierce Diva" handbook. :P

My favorite part of that Alexis fashion tribute video comes at the 2:36 mark when she does that little hesitation dip before rounding the corner.

Sylph, some more Nolan interviews:

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/10/18/style/glamour-boy.html

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=B24OAAAAIBAJ&sjid=G4EDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5337%2C2838234

• Members

I wish Youtube hadn't taken down the clip of Alexis at some dive, singing Boys in the Backroom. I loved when 80s soaps did that, to remind us that so and so was just folks. Like on Paper Dolls when Roscoe Born tried to shock Racine by taking her to a ribs joint, and she just casually sat down and started polishing off the food. Or on GL when Alex and HB would go bowling.

I don't remember Abby Ewing doing any of that though. :lol: She did have the classic scene where Greg tried to catch her sans makeup.

• Members

Gasp!

Where is Maeve Kinkead's Vanessa Chamberlain Lewis in this thread????

Hurumph.

henery3.jpg

In an issue of SOD from the early 90s, she was noted as being one of the most stylish business women in soaps, and I think they mentioned how she seemed to juggle it all motherhood, her career, her drama with Billy and Fletcher.

And I'll throw in Mary Kay Adams as India von Halkein in there as well..

cbmka.jpgmadams.jpg

glphilip03.jpg

And who can forget this little number in 1986 :lol:

Archived