Nelson Branco Vs B&B's Hunter Tylo: Round 2

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was embarassed when Eric Braeden complemented his reporting skills (and Nelson of course kept the quote in) the man has to reign it in. I appreciated his opinionated soap press at first but it's become more and more a caricature--I laughed when I saw that OLTL's ratings went lower than AMC's the past time not cuz I think they deserved to--they don't--but cuz I thougth of Nelson's reaction after telling everyone to boycott AMC and watch OLTL. When he acts like this it serves NOBODY well

• Members

Yeah, but it is clear HT is held in contempt. Look at the repeated firings and the writing for her.

Also, I like how he subtly connected the dots. Weeks ago he said an ATWT actress had an affair with Austin Peck, and this is why AP was fired. Also, it said that the actress was separating. NOW, in this week's issue, he "outs" the actress who is separating.

• Members

It's a pity he seems to get good gossip and the occasional scoop (he devastated us with the Andrea Evans exit news last year), because otherwise Nelson Branco is an utter lunatic. It's almost amusing to watch OLTL send daytime in a new direction for queer representation onscreen, while one of its biggest boosters, Branco, sets GLBT representation back fifteen years every time he opens his gob to launch a new six-minute queen's vendetta. He has alienated everyone from Tylo to ATWT to Frank Valentini in the last few months.

• Members

I agree.

GENERALLY speaking, I do not mind NB or his writing style. What I mind is that he's also the person responsible for GIVING THE NEWS. I would probably laugh off his BIs and dirty talk if he had a stand alone blog. It just seems like lascivious and inappropriate writing for TVG, not to mention bad reporting ethics. Like when it comes to those silly soaps, no one cares if the news gets delivered with bias and slant. But, they're still running his column, so this is an issue to take up with TVG. At the same time, it's cool to write an entertaining column with featurey language, but let's not stoop. This trend started a *bit* with Jonathan Reiner, then ballooned with Daniel Coleridge, and now festers with NB. Where's the integrity, I guess TVG figures Michael Logan gives us enough of that?

But actually, I thought NB sounded kinda sad in his latest column, you could really sense that's he's genuinely depressed by the state of soaps. He still managed to work in some filthy bitch, but his Debbie Downer vibe was kind of endearing.

***And may I take this opportunity to remind everyone that going on a soap cruise does not make you bff with your favorite stars? No offense to our beloved medium, but trying to be some sort of fauxcialite climber in the world of soaps seems awfully desperate and pathetic to me. If relationships develop organically that's one thing, but let's know our roles here as fans or professionals on *this* side of the camera. Don't make yourself look sad.

• Members

Yeah, I kind of wish he had kept that Hunter Tylo info to himself, although I'm guilty of reading his column, so I'm not going to get too self righteous here. I guess I feel like certain gossip is fair game, while the grief of an unstable mother is sort of off limits.

• Members

He's made himself the story, and while that may get attention in the short term, in the long term it just makes people less and less interested in what he has to say, because they can't really trust it, or want to sift through all the waste.

• Members

I remember when Doug Marland died, I think Michael Logan talked about their friendship and how Doug had told him stories that Michael would never tell anyone else.

It's a far cry from this stuff where someone has a fit or namedrops writers at every other paragraph, or gets into a fit over not being invited to this or that.

• Members

Finally, a topic where I agree with everyone. :lol:

If there's one silver lining to watching daytime self-destruct, it's that we all have the pleasure of watching the slow deterioration of this jackass's mental state, and whatever shreds of journalistic ethics he had left in him completely get smothered in name-dropping, self-serving, drug-fueled rants that further alienate him from the genre he claims to love so much.

I don't know what we did to suddenly be "treated" to Nelson effin' Branco as the go-to guy in these final years of daytime serials, but truly, there's no possible way to say "thank you" enough. So please accept two middle fingers, straight up.

• Members

Exactly Carl. Soap fans (and you're still a fan even if you run your own soap site) can be some of the biggest star whores I have ever witnessed. There are some real macadamias out there, people so desperate to know that their favorite soap stars remember them from that last soap event, yadda yadda. I get the impression that people like Michael Logan and Connie/Marlena are healthily in touch with the fact that they were soap fans first and foremost, and out of their level-headedness and full awareness of their true relationship to the business, they were perhaps able to form healthy friendships with soap professionals. I've never gotten the presumptuous "soap star by association" vibe from them that I have from others. And it gets way personal with NB, like this dirty photog he's written about, like who here cares about a damn soap photog? Why don't you give me the dirt on the gaffer from Edge of Night while you're at it. Did this dude spurn his advances or something?

Archived