Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of October 5, 2009

• Members

I'm hoping for an excellent baby switch, because I love them. (I know I'm one of the few).

I basically like Muhney. When he is allowed to show some vulnerability, it softens him. That said, I acknowledge he could do more... CE is gone, I'm over it, so I'm comfortable with "investing" in Muhney's Adam. I feel he is much more competent than Hayley Erin, Christel Khalil, etc...so I'd want to lose him after many of the others.

I'd like to see Adam now positioned as the new "ruthless". I think it can be done. I'm sick of squandering these characters, and the disposable mentality of this regime. Thus, I want Adam restored, not discarded. And, yes, if James Stenbeck and Roger Thorpe could live and continue...so can Adam Newman. All of this is clearly just my opinion...not expecting others to agree.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. I don't specifically want Muhney gone, I want him to be MADE OVER to look younger, and I want him to adjust his acting. Alot of what makes him look old is his forehead, and some bangs can fix THAT easy enough. I don't think Adam is RUINED... I mena, look at how Victor was started, holding Michael Scott hostage in the basement of the ranch, piping in video of him f@cking Julia, and feeding him rats. If they can bring Victor back from THAT......then there is hope for Adam.

• Members

None of that is in par with burning a woman's fetus, ans stealing another woman's baby and trying to pass it off as someone else's.

After that, the entire Newman family, as well as Ashley and the Abbots should hate him for life. When this is all revealed, I cannot imagine anyone seriously ever getting past that and coming to like this loon and ruined character.

I think it's best Adam goes to prison for a year or two OFF SCREEN, when this is all revealed.

He can then come back with a recast in the role, and one that actually looks like the age the character should be.

• Members

The bold part says it all really...

Look at the writers this show has, and look at the character writing for all of the next generation characters - not good.

He's committed too many crimes in such a short period of time, like Patty, how many is too many? After a while, this whitewashing of crimes gets old and leads to people getting sick of these characters. It causes too much damage that the audience will refuse to get over. You may like Gloria, but many still can't get passed the skin cream fiasco and many never will. The audience isn't stupid, as Y&R likes to think these days.

• Members

The reason I suggested JT for Sharon, and not a new man, is because the last thing this show needs is any new characters. How much money is this show wasting on bringing on characters like Deacon, Ryder, hospital staff and mortuary people instead of investing in their already on contract cast? I am really getting tired of them claiming poor when they are refusing to provide stories for their expensive vets that the audience is invested in. Its like they are so hopeful that they are going to find someone from the outside who can spin garbage into gold and carry the show.

After reading EB's article about the spin from the studio, I am more and more hesitant to believe that Egan quit over the non-existent gay kiss. To me it seems that he was very unhappy with the out of character direction they were taking Adam in and the show made this stuff up so that the audience would welcome a recast. The character of Adam has not worked since Egan left and MM just isn't cutting it.

The main difference between Victor's long term longevity on the show and Adam's is the character direction. Victor started off as bad. The love of a good woman the audience was already invested in, Nikki, brought out his humanity. Adam has gone the opposite way. He started off as gray, had the love of a good woman, Heather, and has turned very dark. I don't see how the love of a good woman can possibly be used to redeem this sicko molester of a character.

• Members

The problem there for this viewer was thaT Adam stoped making sense, if they wanted to make him mini Victor the best way of approach is to find his power, not make him a complete snake in the grass. When that scene occured it didn't hit me right then how far they had gone but when I saw the scenes to follow it was like that was the moment it was decided he would be a sociopath. Adam's motivation is extremely inconsistent now they want to have the character show remorse again, who is this character and what drives him?

I did peep the JM and SC scenes for today's epi on youtube, JM was more impressive than his average days and Alpha I have always said my problem with JM iwas never the fact that I should be used to him giving subpar performances but that I have seen him in his extremely good moments so I hate when the scene calls for him to give it a hi best shot and he doesn't, because I know he has done and can do better in alot of those instances

• Members

I really don't know if it says much about Muhney that he's much more competent than a 13 or 14 year old actress, and a very weak actress who has never really worked outside of Y&R. Even then, I would say that I have connected to CK at times, like the "maid's daughter" spat with Chloe, or the early work when she found out she had cancer. Do I think that Muhney is entirely at fault? No. The writing is bad, it's lazy stuff that is like bad fan fiction -- they have Adam do everything to drive the plot, then suddenly say "I feel so bad!" and writhe around to try to justify more bad behavior to come. But I don't think Muhney is anything special.

I also can't really say, "They did it with Roger Thorpe and James Stenbeck", because Roger was off the show for almost a decade between the time that he was a multiple rapist and a murderer and the time he became more of an antihero. James Stenbeck was off ATWT for nearly a decade. Even then, Stenbeck has usually never been anything other than a plot-stirrer and a menacing camp figure in his returns.

Adam should have been much more than that.

Since he isn't, we are left with the zombiefied Victoria, and with Nick, whom we now throw parades for when Josh Morrow manages to remember how to act.

• Members

I have a feeling if Muhney got "notes" from TPTB that he was going against their vision for the character or could do more to potray their vision he would change his tune to that beat. I can't be mad @ what Muhney is doing because he's giving TPTB what they want. I blame TPTB ideals of "Victor Adam Newman"

I agree there is sometimes room for a downright villain but it should not be Adam. If Adam were just a very dark anti-hero it could have worked in the right hands. His bright qualities needed to be maintained, his ambitions worked into the story while his edge, vengence, vindictiveness were worked in.

LOL JM is Nick to me so when he does better than average I feel a bitt err proud and reassured but I do call him out when I feel he's extra crappy

• Members

I can't be mad at him, but I can say that I don't think he's doing that good a job in the role. Nelson and others hyped him as the second coming and I have never really seen that level of work from him. I'm sure he's fine elsewhere, since we heard all about Veronica Mars and whatever else before his arrival, but I don't think he's done that well as Adam.

• Members

Personally I preferred CE but that's just me many highlight CE would not be able to handle the work required, umm maybe. But maybe he had it correct in comparison to the writers cause when he was there I was being sold more than I am now. I agree with you about MM because imo he's just not ADAM in my mind but from an objective perspective who is Adam?

Archived