Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When MK joined that Locher room episode a few weeks ago, there was mention of a story where "Vanessa was temporarily played by another actress". It felt weird that MK would not mention AS. I am sure she is not someone to throw shade at a fellow actress, she's always kept it very classy. Still, it's not like Vanessa was played by multiple temp recasts over the years - it was pretty easy to remember AS.

• Members

Messing with my mind how they have both Diane and Vanessa in red, and how SLG and AS both played Donna on AW.

I was kind of skipping around the episode so I thought there was an internal dual temp recast going on.

I don't remember the circumstances of MK's absence, but an op-ed in SOD suggested that GL was foolish not to jump on the chance to rehire AS as Vanessa. My memory is a little foggy, but I'm assuming this was after AW was cancelled.

I found Anderson and Manetta run very generic and bland. The Paul Valere stuff was bad. The 50th anniversary episode was a big  disappointment. With dull Meave trying to get the 50th anniversary edition of the Springfield Journal to print. No old favorites returning. No classic flashbacks. Just dullness. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

For a few episodes in the early 90s someone that wasn’t Maeve played Vanessa there was no reason known at the time behind that. But Bryan Buffington remembered that ofc as it was odd it was not Maeve. In the early 80s when Anna Stuart filled in I believe that was when Maeve took an extended maternity leave. At that time GL being produced by Allen Potter who gave Anna her first job at The Doctors meant that she was known. later on when Maeve was not full time at GL I can see someone suggesting that if Maeve could not be a regular having the part recast may be a good idea.

Edited by ~bl~
Added text

• Members

I remembered how disappointed I was with that 50th anniversary. It was pitiful. You're right. No returning characters, no in-show flashbacks. No real celebration. Just detached clips at the end of each episode that week and the actors seemed depressed while presenting them. And it was strange that it was in July and not in January on the actual anniversary. It was a low time for GL. I remember watching the Daytime Emmys that year and there was a camera shot of the GL table. They had a "50 years" sign on the table but that was the extent of an acknowledgement if I recall correctly. The actors even looked depressed at the table. The 60th anniversary and even the 70th anniversary were handled much better. I think the best anniversary show the soaps have ever done was ATWT's 30th. That's how an anniversary show (or week) should be done. Did soaps even do anniversary shows before that? I can't think of any before 1986 for any soap. 

• Members

So the YouTube account I have been watching classic episodes on has some gaps, which I was expecting.

However, they have covered almost all the major events of “The Fan” stalking storyline with Chelsea, except the ending.  Does anyone know where I can watch those episodes?  I don’t even really like Chelsea all that much, but I was enjoying the storyline.

• Members

That disco opening was just horrible. And rewatching late 79 to early 82 I'm surprised at how poorly the actors memorized their lines. Elvira, Don, Bert, some of them were terrible on a daily basis.  And the directing was stilted. Gail Kobe improved the show a great deal from that standpoint.

I know Doug Marland's stories started airing in Jan 1980 and his name was in the credits still in August 1982. When did his last episode air?  I can't find any episodes from September 1982 to Feb 1983 with credits.  I know The Cullitons and Tomlin were listed as head writers by early March 83.  I think Falken Smith lasted about 8 weeks right after Marland quit and she was HW of Days until April 1982.

Edited by RavenWhitney