Y&R Episode Discussion for the week of July 20

• Members

I enjoyed that Mackenzie, who once lived in a homeless shelter, would take pity on poor Mary Jane. I just loved Clementine's softness in that scene. I'm enjoying CF more and more every day.

On the other hand, I'm sorry how far Patty Jane is falling...from the delusional quest for Kitty...to the hugging of the baby...to the inexplicable package outside Sharon's door.

I'm having a hard time figuring out Rafe. first of all, all these beats are sooooooooooooo fast. Second, why did he accuse Adam of "using people"? Has Rafe figured out that the sex was intended to get off the Estella case?? If not, the "using people" comment doesn't make sense. Because if Adam isn't gay, then he wasn't using Rafe for sex? I just don't understand the whole perspective.

I'd enjoy it more if Heather and Rafe were friends. That said, there is a recurring flatness to Yani's portrayals than are now beginning to dismay me. He's another new one I don't see us investing in.

I have to say, though, I loved that ending. Lily jumping into Cane's arms. Perfection.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Indeed. Patty Jane had so much promise, and now she's bringing Gotham City to Genoa City. They're intentionally playing up the cartoon side of this character and nothing else. I like the actress, but the character is wearing thin on me day by day.

Didn't this storyline start like 2 weeks ago, and already, Adam's told Rafe he isn't gay. I don't know anymore, the pacing sucks and so much is skipped over. It's hard to follow these stories when they're executed so horribly. It's hard to make sense of all of this, especially so fast. Nothing about this story has made any sense to me, especially since its sh!tty set-up.

I don't think we're supposed to invest in him. He's still a recurring bit player, so after this Adam story wraps up, I really believe he'll be gone or he'll be used less and less - Yani is recurring after all and they've haven't explored who Rafe is as a character.

Hopefully, the falling ratings and fan dissatisfaction will prompt some change at this show, and if this writing/producing regime can't handle that, they'll hopefully be replaced.

• Members

anyone else annoyed with Nikki and how she's going around outing Adam as gay? Its no one's business for her to tell and if anyone has a right to know, its Heather. Nikki really needed to keep her mouth shut about what she saw

• Administrator

I still love MJ (the only thing I was against was when she hurt Summer). I thought her leaving the baby doll for Sharon was pretty cool. :)

Agreed. I want to like her but the writers have made her into such a loser. I must've missed that line about her not going swimming this summer - dammit!!

• Members

I am not a CF fan but I agree that she was pretty good today. SH brings out the best in people. Maybe Mac will be Mary Jane's hero? MJ sure needs one.

Cashton, I found Victor's reaction literally unbelievable. Victor is more open and accepting than Erica Kane and Lily Snyder? No, not buying it. He gives his kids the freeze out when they botch a business deal. He gave Adam a harder time for dating Heather. Victor is a ornery old goat. It takes him time to accept change or new information. Of course Victor should come around -- but all in the space of one episode? That should have taken Victor at least a few days to process.

• Members

Yes,the pacing is still a problem.Nikki tells Victor about Adam,he goes to see him and says he will always be his son and it's over!

There should be so much more to this.Victor should have berated Adam for keeping this from him,maybe taken Nikki to task for gossiping and generally have made it all about Victor.

Is there any point to MJ being Patty?If Paul isn't given the air time,what's the point?

Again,Rafe has been under developed.Colleen should have been his confidante-he could have confided in her his mixed emotions for the new man in his life.Wasn't Billy supposed to be a friend of Rafe?Does he know Rafe is gay?Does Estella?

It's all these details and plot points that are spoiling the stories.

I'm enjoying the Lily story because it's good old fashioned soapiness.It also means that Neil/Tyra/Devon and other such crap are being pushed aside.

I don't get the DG love.Half the time I can't understand what he's saying.

I wonder how much time Maria Bellarina devotes to the show.It's like she comes up with ideas but Hogan and Scott flesh them out(badly)

• Members

Well... I just saw today's eppy. Mark, I disagree about Yani... and NO, it's not because he's a wet dream come true... I LOVE his acting, it's subtle, to be sure...but he does VERY well with his eyes. I just wish we had more of a chance to see him! Now.... this Cancer SL is being sold very well, and it's working. Why is it working? It's a Bill Bell SL redux, that's why. With the exception of a couple small details, and one reversal... it's a carbon copy of the Jennifer Brooks Cancer SL. Consider this:

(This is the reversal)

1: Lily gets cancer to bring her and Cane together

Jennifer Brooks was given cancer as a "punishment" for leaving Stuart.

2: Lily refuses to have the surgery right away.

So did Jennifer

The only thing really different is EVERYONE knows about Lily's cancer, while they tried to hide Jennifer's from Peggy, knowing it would devastate her, because a couple weeks before the diagnosis, Peggy lashed out at ther mother for leaving the family, and told her that she wished she were dead. Mary Jane was so pitiful and CREPPY today, when she was rolling the doll's eyes around in her hands like marbles... I was wondering, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? AN EPISODE OF NIGHT GALLERY? I like the unusual, the dark, the creepy on occasion, but this rapid fire pace, and all this death and destruction and sickness and loony bin behavior going on all at once is making the BIGGEST MISTAKE you can do on any dramatic series, you're DESENSITIZING YOUR AUDIENCE!

• Members

Yeah, Nikki is out of line here. But she thinks she is protecting everyone from Adam.

See, honestly, this was EXACTLY what I always expected from Victor. Not only because he is an urbane man of the world, but because I could not imagine Braeden having it otherwise. Braeden won't allow Victor to be a bigot.

That's actually a good point. Yani does try to play some non-verbals. But his story is so rushed...there is so little dialogue...I'm just not feeling anything for him.

• Members

Absolutely! I hate this storyline - but I do love Kanan. And I actually thought today's episode wasn't bad at all. The Chance/Chloe kiss was completely taken out of context in the previews, and made more sense today. Driscoll and Hendrickson are really cute. Mac was even kinda cute. Cane/Lily got me a little teared up. In fact, I'd venture to say all the episodes this week were a small step up from the previous week's, which were completely baffling to me when I saw them. I can already hear Alvin sharpening his knives ( :D ) but when I look at the episodes on an individual basis, I didn't have nearly the same adverse reaction to this week's shows that I had to Phillip ranting and Chance's introduction last week.

• Members

OMG! THIS SHOW DISGUTS ME! F.UCK THIS SHOW, SERIOUSLY! F.UCK IT!

OK, not only is Amber coerced into having sex with Deacon, but he yells at her, forces her to wear a tacky piece of lingerie, and then he yells and demands her to get into a particular position on the bed, all while Daniel overhears it on the phone. This sh!t has Sheffer written ALL OVER it. I'm officially OVER this story. It's so demeaning and misogynistic. I don't even like Amber that much, but god, this story is offensive. It's Sami and EJ ALL OVER AGAIN, folks. The fact that Sheffer can recycle this sh!t tells me he never learns from his mistakes and that Maria Arena Bell has no taste and lets crap like this slip easily onto her crappy vision for this show.

Can they end Billy and Mac already? Their reunion was so rushed and these actors have no chemistry. I love Miller and Ford, but just not together. If they wanted to tell this story properly, they should have had these two longing for each other, but the circumstances would prevent them from getting together for a long time.

Elizabeth Hendrickson is a gift to this show, and she's beautiful in just about anything they dress her in. However, Phillip IV and Chloe shot not have kissed this fast, again rushing through stories, although the kiss was playful.

I'm happy Katherine mentioned Ryan and how he was Phillip IV's real father figure, because he was.

I can see how people are enjoying this Lily cancer story when compared to the other sh!t going on right now. It's the only one with some emotional element and the only one that isn't sleazy. Though, it too is rushed and Lily and Cane are over exposed.

And don't anyone feed me any crap about how good Deacon and Kanan are. The crap that happened today was unnecessary and vulgar. This show clearly hates women and likes nasty men who only demean woman. Thank goodness Chance seems to be an exception, but who knows how long that will last.

Archived