Y&R Episode Discussion for the week of July 20

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Die Lily, die before the FF button on my VCR is worn out completely. Although maybe if that happens I can get a PVR.

Why are they still pimping the stupid Silver Chipmunk? Surely by the time this stuff was penned, they knew the overwhelmingly "positive" response the audience had to it.

The more I watch this show, I'm convinced that the networks are determined to kill the soaps and the writers are going along with it.

• Members

Lily's fine, Cane is fine. I just think that TPTB are overestimating their fanbase, or at least the effect their fanbase has on the ratings. While splitting them up for good might garner Y&R some negativity from the Lane fans, it's much better for the show if they spin them off in different directions. The Phyl/Nick/Sharon crowd needs a man in Cane's age range to play spoiler. Jack, as much as we love him, is just too old to be a credible threat to Nick.

As for Lily, she could work very well with any of the younger men on the show. Didn't Bill Bell originally plan for Lily & Billy to end up as a couple? Beyond that, she was great with Daniel and would surely be good with Chance. She's far too young to the be the wife of a man Cane's age. She should be young, impulsive and getting into trouble.

• Members

I'm just sick of something bad ALWAYS happening to Saint Lily. Gosh, it never ends with this character and she's always on the front-burner. They never give her a needed rest.

Also, on a show where women are constantly victimized, I really don't want to sit through a cancer storyline in the summer. God, this show must think dark and depressing, with crappy pacing and execution is the way to go for summer storylines. I do not want anything light and fluffy, but summer is also a time for some fun, and that's not happening in any storyline on this show right now. There's just no balance.

I waiting to see just how they'll play this cancer storyline out. Will they botch this too? Again with the pacing of these stories, I wish Saint Lily was having pains and symptoms visibly on screen for at least a few weeks before they sprang this on us. It would have been more realistic and convincing.

• Members

LMAO! Oh dear Alvin, you wanted some type of set-up with symptoms! That would require forethought! I don't think TPTB have any specific plans beyond the baby-switch. Everything else is made up as they go along. I can see it now. They realize that Cane, being oh so noble, will have to leave town. Of course the only way that he would stay in GC is if Lily needed him really bad. Oh wait! Here's an idea! CANCER! Now Cane has to stay in town and Lane can be true love forever even though Cane is a lying con artist.

Cane did something wrong and he needs to suffer the consequences for it. Why is Lily the one with cancer, especially after all the traumas she has already been through?

• Members

They don't have to botch it. CKlily acting going to do the job. The cancer story going ot start off fine until it gets to old & added with bad acting. I don't understand why Dru daughter is always the victim. She never one step ahead of anything. Why Dru daughter is so weak not only in the head but in her love life.

• Members

Even though the character is overexposed and doesn't need this, they have the chance of telling a gripping illness storyline about cancer and how it impacts the victim and the victim's family. But this storyline will probably use cancer as a plot point and as a means to reunite Cane and Lily, who are not as popular as TPTB give them credit for.

If they wanted to tell any real storyline with cancer, Lily's cancer wouldn't be fixed by a simple hysterectomy, and we would learn that it had spread. It could eventually be cured in the soapy way, but we would see some type of long-term impact and struggle and it could be used in a non-preachy way (if written right) to educate both young and old women to have regular check-ups and uterine examinations, much like Agnes Nixon did on GL in the 50's with Bert Bauer.

And yes, Cane needs to struggle and Jill needs to disown him for a little while before the forgiveness. Unfortunately, that's not happening, and Jill forgives Cane and keeps him in her will on Monday's US episode. :rolleyes:

As MarkH said, the emotion is missing from many of these storylines and plot twists. I think the crappy pacing and execution just magnifies this.

• Members

I agree Toups. I love that Y&R is one of few soaps that regularly goes back to an original actor as opposed to constantly recasting (which I'll admit seems to be starting these days), so I only want a recast if it's absolutely 100 percent necessary. With Lily, I think Khalil has grown into the role nicely and I identify her as Lily and wouldn't want to see her go. We don't need it turning into ATWT where just about everyone is a recast. She's doing a good job with this cancer story and I enjoyed the scenes with Colleen and Devon. Not sure about the writing for Neil though. I think it would be great if Dru could return. It would be their greatest wish, but with her memory gone, how heartbreaking would it be for Lily? Of course these writers would screw it up so I hope that doesn't happen until we get a new HW.

The Chancellor scenes were okay. I like Chloe's new hair. I'm guessing she got a weave? Her dig about Phillip deserting his son was fierce. I've missed her. Still am hating Phillip and Thom's terrible acting. Poor John Driscoll went from Justin Deas to this...Jess Walton is doing a good job playing a different side to Jill. She always rises to the challenges presented to her, but the writing for Jill is just awful.

Kevin wanting to market this chipmunk stuff is sick. It's one thing to overlook that pedophile having his own coffeeshop, but now a teenage fanclub? That's sick. I think these writers keep characters like Kevin, Gloria, etc. on because they like the actors and don't wanna see them unemployed. It's clear they're stretching for story ideas.

• Members

I think this recast is absolutely necessary lol. Unless she managaes to reduce that annoying thing she does with her voice where it always sounds like she's speaking through her nose and thinks everyone is beneath her. This, I can handle from an actress on recurring, not who goes from one front-burner story to another as if she's EB. It's not right.

Why didn't Chloe get cancer? Why hasn't she been on the screen from the time P3 came back to today. That's a travesty.

CK's very one-note to me. If that one note was bitter teen, as it is in Eden's case, maybe she should stay. But she's been doing this self-righteous, woe is me thing for way too long now. So long that I feel nothing for her.

She needs to go.

Archived