Y&R Episode Discussion for the week of July 20

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never had a big anger for Lily, or even Lily/Cane, so I am somewhat moved by what she's going through. I'm traumaed out, and I'm sick of stories which are all about women and their wombs or lack thereof, but I think CK and Daniel Goddard are doing a decent enough job. I hate Neil, he's a selfish, self-righteous person and I just can't sit through any scene he's in, I haven't been able to for a long time. If it were me I would have written Neil out a long time ago.

The only way I can enjoy Billy/Mac is if I laugh at them. True love in a trailer you bought cheap off your ex-grandmother's husband. Billy Miller does what he can but I have never believed him in this role, because this is a random smarmy sleaze in pure Sheffer style, not Billy Abbott. His total lack of interaction with his family is just one example.

• Members

Yes, but, Jana must have a relapse from the devastatingly traumatic stab wounds, recover from the wounds, track Kevin down from prison and into Crimson Lights, bound and gagged with Gloria and Jeffrey muzzled in the back room, and burn that sucka down, laughing hysterically in their wake.

Come on!!!!!

Maybe I was an arsonist in my past life...

• Members

I agree they haven't properly played Jill's FEELINGS for Cane. I don't think it is "Cane propping"...not at this point. At this point the audience has a long, shared history with him. He exists in his own right.

• Members

It had to be intentional that Cane is the only one being written for in a sympathetic and somewhat layered manner in this inane storyline. This story seems to be as much about how Cane really is a good guy who with the best of intentions as anything else. Prior to this story, he was painted as some arrogant saint who never did nothing wrong.

Still, who is Cane and has he added anything to this show in 3 years? I still have little idea about who this man is, and though the Lane (or IMO, LAME) fans think otherwise, I don't feel like he's ever been a developed character and he's never contributed anything to this show or even the Chancellor family. Yes, we got to see Jill get another son and he's with Lily, but did either of those relationships properly explore who this character really is?

I think this storyline, whether intentional or not, was used as an attempt to better establish Cane and to get the audience to know him a little more and to sympathize with him, which his arrogant nature had previously made it hard to do. It's as if the writing is telling us that we must love Cane, we must feel sorry for him, we must know that he has a good heart. Contrast that with Phillip III, who is abrasive and a total ass, it's really not hard to see who the writing is portraying as the more "likable" one to the audience.

• Members

I never saw the arrogance that you did. I thought Cane was engaging at the beginning (actually, along with Eric Steinberg, one of the most interesting casting choices). I also thought he was one of the most interesting elements of Clear Springs. But once paired with Lily, I think it was a horrible, horrible ride.

The point is, as his world has come crashing down, I find him relatable, engaging, genuinely contrite.

If this rehabs the character, who cares? I'd like to see an appealing non-villain on this show...someone who is trying to be a better man. (For a long time...pre-River...that really worked for CLB).

• Members

At the expense of others, IMO. This storyline should have been as much about Jill as anyone else, yet her point of view has been severely neglected. The other co-star of this story, Phillip III, is just an utter mess that's hard to care for. With writing like that, it's easy to see why Cane comes off as the more likeable one.

But the thing is, that doesn't work in this case. Cane, despite his first few months on the show, was always painted as a good guy (to the point where it was annoying and arrogant, IMO), and later he got more and more saintly. So, this "rehab" doesn't work for me. This story just backs up his good guy persona and how he's always doing everything with the best of intentions and how he's the perfect son for Jill, though he's not really her son.

• Members

Eh no, I can't think of many people who like the character or are interested in him.

So this is one of the rare moments where I have totally disagree. Cane sucks, he's a fraud, he played with Jill's feeling more than he did with Lily's - another relationship I just don't care about as long as the writers don't stop the constant propping or hire a more capable actor.

Attached to this: So far zero consequences have come out of the PIII-reveal which I find shocking but not in a good way.

I only like the Adam story these days although, there, I still miss Chris Engen in the role. The character is not the same without his precise protrayal.

• Members

^^*Engen alarm (like on Kill Bill when the screen goes red and the siren goes off when she sees people she knew from her past life...)*

man, you gotta be careful with that lol... don't want anyone to release the hounds... SON's new taboo subject, not because it's actually taboo but because people get annoying over it :P LOL

I wasn't completely sold on Lily's performance but Neil and Liv broke my heart. I loved the look on her face and how you totally knew before you knew. I never realized how much I've missed TLW on the show until now. Hope she can fit in time for more appearances between all her commitments. She could really carry the Winters family, and maybe put the run on Tyra.

Dru :wub: ...

Colleen wasn't even terrible today. I however, can't wait until she starts having scenes with Cane flipping out about Lily. I expect her accent to go nuts and for her to be a cross between Crocodile Dundee and Olivia Newton John. (the voice. Both of those actors are more talented)

Archived