Y&R Episode Discussion for the week of July 20

• Members

I have called out the top 12 characters, they just weren't featured as prominently as Lane was this week. When they are, I'll be here shouting it out from the rooftops.

I never said you said they were neglected, but 56 episodes when the person who leads has 80 is not a lot to me. It's the same 15 characters on this show in frontburer story after frontburner story.

I also don't perceive a 24 episode different between the #1 most used character and the #13 most used character to be a huge difference.

Well, when Lane is usually on, I don't perceive them to be getting throwaway scenes and supporting other characters.

How do you know I'm not an equal opportunity basher? Have you seen my posts about the Quad, this Phillip III storylines, and the show in general? :huh:

Again, I don't see anyone bashing Lane fans, I see people bashing this couple because they aren't fond of them and they do not like seeing them onscreen. Especially when they're the only couple on this show explored in a romantic way, while others are neglected and romance doesn't exist elsewhere. I happen to think their storylines are generally silly, they have no chemistry, both characters lack depth and are poorly defined, and their relationship drama is overexposed to me. You may disagree with all of these things, and you're free to state that, as are people who don't feel that way.

You might not think they're not overexposed, but many do. Ever since they've been together, their relationship has been driving storylines consistently on this show, even when they were "broken up" for a while. Lily's pregnancy, Lily's miscarriage, Chole coming between then, Delia's conception, Billy's arrival in town and him dating Lily for a while, Delia's custody battle, Lane reuniting and getting married soon afterward, Cane being exposed as a fraud and Lily dumping him, and now Lily's cancer. That's a lot of content for a couple that's only been together for like a year and a half, and even then, a lot of their time was spent apart "longing" for each other.

And when I said overexposed, I meant their relationship drama was overexposed. For a couple that hasn't even been together for two years, their relationship has gotten more story attention and and drama than couples who have been together longer and whose actors have a longer history on this show, like Michael and Lauren, for example.

It would be nice if both characters had storylines where it wasn't about pimping their great love or about why they should be together. Like a storyline that primarily focused on one of the characters in the relationship as his/her spouse played a supporting role that had nothing to do with their relationship and why they should or shouldn't be together.

Lane got picked on because they were the main story this week. I might say if you're going to accuse people of picking on your favourite couple and not giving the same treatment to other characters, then you have to read their posts in relation to other things happening on this show. Clearly, you haven't read my rants on the other frontburner characters that have been hogging up airtime on this show.

There's a lot of unbalanced use of the cast, and I'm not buying this A, B, C cast stuff. When Bill Bell, Kay Alden, and Jack Smith wrote this show, generally everyone was written for and a lot of rotation happened. There's no reason why the same can't happen now.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You've summed up the whole reason behind my indifference to this story. If you drop obstacle after obstacle upon a soap character without developing a proper solid foundation, then their travails have very little impact.

I still don't know why Lily and Cane love each other. Does she love his pectorals? He, her glowing skin?

Goddard needs to become a part of another storyline. Maybe Cane and Tyra or Cane and Mac (that great love story has already begun rolling as she's basically his only talk-to and because of his potent rivalry with Billy).

Lily should meet a bunch of new characters through her resurgent successful modeling career, focusing on her career since the cancer scare. She'd enjoy the highs for about a year after the cancer story is over then slowly fall into a drug binge pushing everyone away a la Gia and slowly come out of it stronger than ever.

I know the networks don't want to play a drug story; but, there are so many damn socialites on this show. Why can't there at least be a bitchy hard-partying, irresponsible girl wreaking havoc and disaster? And at this point in Lily's life, with a cheating husband and no possibility of biological children, she should be that socialite. I don't get why none of the young women on this show at least have an edge?

• Members

For me the lack of believability in the Cane/Billy rivalry was one of many reasons the story with Chloe/Lily/Cane/Billy was a miss. All we got was that Billy hated how close he was to Jill and how Cane was involved with the business, even though up to that point Billy had had no real interest in either Jill or the business until his return. I felt like they hated each other only because the script said so, just as Billy suddenly loved Lily and just as suddenly stopped caring about her because the script said so.

I think every interaction Billy has with a male character in his family ends with him seeming petty. I don't know why this character always has to be so whiny, or have such bitterness.

Mac is such a drain that I can't see her being any more interesting with Cane than she is with Billy, especially if she, like most of the women on the show, exists only for the men in her life. Then again, it's hard to imagine anything being less interesting than Mac and Billy.

I wish they could just send Billy away for five or six months and then have him return as less of the whiny sleaze. Right now he's carrying so much baggage I can't get into any of his scenes, because it's always "me me me". He's also very sanctimonious, and he pretends to care about other people when he always seems to care about them only in a way which benefits himself.

• Members

Well. My Deacon crush has officially been extinguished. Thanks, Y&R. <_<

I loved Chloe rediscovering her inner Waldorf and slapping a smooch on Chance. But really, the wacky hi-jinks music? C'mon, Y&R. We don't need music to clue us in on Liz Hendricksen's brand of snark.

Question: is Bradley Bell writing the show?

• Members

Forgive me if it has already been posted, just catching up, but Amber wasn't infertile. I think she was told she shouldn't have children because she donated a kidney to Rick and it puts the mothers life in serious danger to add the extra strain on the one. She was talking to Daniel about getting married and having children a few months ago so she doesn't seem to care.

• Members

OH.....right on!

I started watching after the kidney thing. I thought they told her at Death Valley that she'd never be able to carry a baby to term again.

And I guess the dumb dumb Forresters took that as, "She'd never be able to get preggers again." Because I remember Stephanie freaking out about Amber puking and she asked Amber if she could get pregnant.

Archived