Y&R Episode Discussion for the week of July 20

• Members

This isn't too far off from what happened at DAYS.

"EJ is so hot!! You can tell Sami wants him!!!"

The main reason that wasn't a more prevalent opinion was because the actors played the scene as rape.

It's a very sick mentality. You can't have Amber and Deacon thrown together and have her decide to have sex with him and have HER take the power, because that wouldn't be hot. No, what is hot, according to the episode, is that Amber is coerced, or perhaps I should say "coerced" into doing what she really wants to do. No means yes. And always in the back of the scene will be Amber tormented over her feelings because what if she wanted this? What if she needed the bad boy to take her?

He also did this some version of this at ATWT. Marshall Travers thoroughly demolished Jessica in the courtroom and showed her what a truly weak woman she was. This went hand-in-hand with her wanting him sexually. One of the reasons she wanted him sexually was because he had all the power. Then later on, after their affair was exposed and she had lost her saintly boyfriend and was temporarily living with Travers, the show went into a did he/didn't he rape her storyline which ended VERY abruptly with her daughter killing Travers. I have always wondered what Sheffer's original story plan was, because the end seemed like it came out of nowhere.

The scenes were also a ripoff of B&B, when Deacon left the phone on so the entire Forrester family could overhear him having sex with Bridget. THAT was a classic moment, it was shocking, it was trash at its best. This just felt like another cheap homage which MAB and the others pepper their scripts with. Hollow history.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay so...

1) What's with all the Katherine Chancellor pimping? Does Maria really not like Jill? Why isn't Jill taking her grandson to all these familiar places and parts of town? Maybe they'll do it in a future episode, but Jill would be fighting tooth and nail to get alone time with Chance.

2) I'm glad this isn't ABC.com. Otherwise, they'd already have Shop the Soaps Chipmunk Mugs and tees.

3) Deacon was white trash scum of the earth, but he was never this sleazy or hard up for sex. Even in a power play. And the Bridget thing is different. And Sean Kanan needs to accept that the 90's are over and that he needs to lose the surfer dude accent.

And word to everyone who had something to say about the misogyny in these scenes. It was really uncomfortable to watch. And why would Y&R viewers really care about Deacon or who he is? Not every Y&R viewer watches B&B.

4) Y&R had made me detest the almighty "nod to history" because they don't use it to enhance a scene or a story. They use it to BEAT YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH IT until you understand that, yes, unlike LML, their trashy plots contain bits and pieces of history, so you're supposed to like it. It's like watching an episode of Family Guy, without the humorous flashcuts.

Lily: Look at Tyra and Ana and My dad and Devon or....my dad and me. :rolleyes:

5) Gotta love how Billy and Mac are the cure for insomnia. CBS Up to the Minute is more engaging than their "love story."

6) And Chloe kissing Chance? That quickly? We want to root for them, we don't want for them to become another hastily thrown together coupling, then becoming dull as dishwater when the writing staff has no idea what to do with them.

• Members

I don't think she has any use for Jill. Jill no longer has any perspective or purpose. We get scraps of scenes to remind us Jill is still on the show but she always takes a supporting role in any story and we always gets reminders she is inferior to Jill. This story would be so much better if they actually WROTE FOR JILL. To be honest I don't see much of Katherine in this story either. This patron saint Katherine who is always right and always wonderful was not the Katherine who enthralled viewers. For someone who claims to love the show's history MAB doesn't seem to follow it.

• Members

It's pathetic how Jill has been nothing more than a glorified extra after the Phillip III reveal and Chance's return to town.

It really should have been Jill taking Chance to Crimson Lights today, not Katherine.

Ugh, I just hate saying "Chance" - what a lame ass name. Couldn't they just call him Phil and call his father Phillip?

• Members

When I hear Chance, all I keep thinking of is that Danielle Steel miniseries, and that Australian soap where the ratings weren't good so they had all the men show their asses. Too bad Y&R can't follow suit.

• Members

He'll always be Descum to me.

Why couldn't this scene have played out where Amber finds out he has this evidence, lets him think he's getting what he wants and then tying him up to the bed and taking the proof with her? But then there would be no sex and they probably have another who's the daddy storyline planned for Amber. This time with two men who hate her.

I really like the chemistry between Chance and Chloe but am considering not taping and FFing and just quitting Y&R. Although if I do, it will more than likely be the end of soaps all together for me as the same thing happened with Days, GL, AMC and they are dead to me.

• Members

Not only that :::gasp::: it would actually show a woman in a position of power and control, especially over a man. God forbid we should actually get something like that in 2009 on Y&R.

If Amber gets pregnant as a result of this rape, erm, I mean coercion, I'll really lose it.

• Members

I wonder if Jill was under-written for the period surrounding her contract dispute?

I like(d) Deacon, but the rape was disturbing. I continue to believe the real story is about (re)uniting Little D's family, and Deacon's own need for that. He is, of course, misguided in how he pursues it.

That line made me laugh. While Lily talked about perpetuating Dru's DNA, some day she'll realize Dru's truer legacy was fostering.

I'm with Brimike on this. It was done better than I thought. It was about Chloe proving her mojo...

I believe she is supposed to be infertile. I believe it is not a new child, but another (Little D) who is the emotional core of this story.

• Members

That was retconned when she f**ked Thomas on B&B. Remember? Stephanie took her to University and asked the doctor if there was any way possible that a) Amber could conceive again and B) if Amber was pregnant. Yes to A, No to B. That's IIRC.

• Members

I tried to hold my tongue being the newbie and all but wth. Since I've lurked here for a long time without replying, so I've seen this Lane fans bashing before and I dont get it. What cause they're vocal and front burner? And you don't like them, well I don't like other stories too but I don't go bashing their fans, actual real people. Is bashing other fans, an entire fanbase somehow lends more credibility and validation to your posts? When its very clear that the neverending Shick/Phick wars is the most vocal and promoted. From the countless promotion and soap covers to the actors involved having to say in interviews that they don't hate each other.

From reading these posts you would think lane were the ones on this show 24/7, they're not. Heck I can name several characters that get more airtime and storylines then them. So it may seem like overkill to you especially if you're not a fan but the facts speak for themselves. Billy, Chloe, heck even Amber has been in more episodes then CK this year, sorry to burst the airtime bubble. Not to mention the main airtime hoggers and that is Victor, Jack, Nick, Phyliss, and Sharon. They're the A listers, I would consider lane B list. So if Lane needs to rest then I guess so do the other ones I named right?

As for Lane always having it good, well lemme see:

1) They're gutting out the only contract AA female character on this show like a fish. Where she most likely will never be able to carry her own child. Never be able to carry on the Winters legacy. Like Neil is getting a kid anytime soon.

2)Hey Lily you get to marry the man of your dreams but damn Lily he's a con. You don't get to marry a guy from one of the most prestigous families in GC.

3) Cane you're a con, okay. But imo one of the worst rewrites ever, Cane knew that Billy was Delia's all this time. SO he purposely made Lily suffer, sat there while she slept with Billy and like Lily said, could have fallen in love with him. Then he married a woman he couldnt stand and then fought for a child that was not his.

As for Lane constantly getting obstacles, its a soap that happens. Apparently ptb love throwing Lily in peril like they do Sharon. You will always have those characters that ptb love throwing angst at. Its not a Lane thing, its a soap thing. Otherwise you get the mantra about oh they dont do anything, have no conflict all they do is say I love you etc etc.

• Members

Oh, really? I was probably tuning in less regularly by that storyline. Sigh.

That explains why Amber talked to Daniel about her "biological clock". Double sigh. I was hoping there would be something redeemable in this Deacon tale.

As someone who has always liked Daniel Goddard on this show (but not always Cane), and someone who was initially pleased when CK came back, I have to admit to major bouts of eye rolling during much of the last year. Lane was uber-romantic without a strong basis, IMO.

Right now, though, this is my absolute favorite story. Classic soap. A beautiful way to remind us that "love means never having to say you're sorry". (Which is BS, but I just watched Love Story, and there is emotional power in these cancer stories). Finally, I want Lane together, and I now feel they will deserve a little happiness. This story is a great device, and in light of all the other ruination on this show right now, one classic soap story is such a joy to me.

• Members

Oh wow. I was shocked at how violent Deacon raping Amber was. I thought they'd play it cute and soft with her giving in and wanting to have sex, but her was clearly forcing her and she was crying and pulling away. WTF?! How am I supposed to be invested in Deacon now? At first I thought he was great, looking better than ever and he has chemistry with Victoria, but that is too much...

Archived