OLTL: Actress FIRED!

• Members

No, because homophobes unfortunately do exist. It was personally difficult for the late Clint Ritchie to do pretty much what you're describing. But he went with it - and for better or for worse, it served the story. Clint (the character) even evolved from it. So I would still think she'd be crazy to dump her job.

Personally, I do think the scenario sounds unusual... that Mauceri - who works without a contract - would so definitively envision Carlotta as homophobic, that she was willing to risk (and ultimately lose) her job over it. Should we just all give her credit for "sticking to her guns" on something like that? At minimum, she sounds horribly misguided: No way is it definitive that Carlotta would be unsupportive of gay people... So I find Mauceri's stance about her character, as this story is being described to us, a little bizarre to say the least.

Is it alright if I ask how you feel about this storyline or gay storylines on soaps in general, ACEM? Since the whole Engen thing went down, I've been curious about where the people are coming from, as in the people who jump to the defenses of these actors and their decisions to protest.

And I don't mean to direct that just at you, but anyone who feels Mauceri made the "right" decision. Do such people REALLY feel Mauceri is conclusively right about her character? That it would be "out of character" for Carlotta to be supportive of gay people? Because to me, her (reported) perspective, while very cut and dry, just seems way out there...

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thank you for the response and I understand what you're saying, ACEM... But it didn't really address my question about the validity of Mauceri's (reported) perspective on her character. And I know you have no obligation to do that, but I just didn't want the gist of my question to so quickly get lost in the discussion... :)

• Members

bellcurve, you're entitled to your opinion and I disagree. Jake Silbermann looks anything but uncomfortable to me. I don't really see it as a controversial conclusion from what makes news that P&G has managed its gay storylines and given them respect among cast and fans better than Y&R and OLTL have. It could just be good P&G PR but I don't think anybody can say having high-profile walkouts and firings is better management. P&G management of other things has not been that good (Martha Byrne, Jerry verDorn, etc.), but for its gay storylines, I think the management has been great. That wouldn't happen if that old "conservative" canard about P&G was even close to true. Even the so-called "kiss ban" shows that P&G listened, since the ban if it existed, stopped.

When I say management, I don't mean writing -- although personally I think the writing for the gay storylines has been good on the P&G soaps too.

ACEM, your comments may apply to other soaps, but I feel they don't apply to GL, where characters have had decidely "gray area" reactions to Otalia from the beginning and continue to do so. Bill, Jeffrey, Mel, when they found out, they did not express support, nor did they condemn, they were just uhhhhhhh, and they have not had expressions of androidal support since. Frank has continued to blame Olivia.

• Members

Let's see, a talented woman has her reputation slandered by a hastily scrawled article on DC written at a fifth grade literacy level while Branco furiously jacks himself off on his own "intheknowingness."

Yep, just another day in the online soap world.

• Members

Isn't she labeled one already?

Well I have issue with this coming out as "Breaking News!" as if there weren't a portion of people out there: network execs, actors, viewers alike that weren't homophobic. It's not as though ABCD and other networks have been airing alternative romances in a longtime or flattering light. WE take a look a society and question people's ability to hate and somehow the networks that chose to reflect that are no longer culpable. I can think a number story lines given rewrite in my time over response to audience racism- and can see the steps they're willing to take to air this "gay s/l". Only in this industry can someone show up to work and be given such safe roles whereby they're characters will most likely not have to air a gay perspective.

IN dealing specifically with the actress, she needs to address her issues because it's getting in the way to connect with people different from the staunch Catholic background. In her defense, I do recall an episode whereby Cristian and Vanessa were getting married and Carlotta being very adamant about marriage being between a man and woman. It was no mistake. So yes, I do believe she was addressing her character's viewpoints.

But OTOH- I wouldn't say this is something that's really getting to get her goat, and one has to wonder whether or not she cared whether she got fired. PM has no real pull behind the scenes or in front of the camera as a long time vet- she had to have known they wouldn't think twice before firing her and were happy to give someone else the role in a matter of days.

They would never ask ME, TSJ, KDP, ES, RS, etc to play gay characters or engage in this s/l- because that would be absurd! These people aren't offended by her or Carlotta's personal beliefs, they just rather her shuck and jive like the other day players.

• Members

I'm not sure if it would be absurd. Michael Easton may be in the story at some point since Fish looks up to John. If they have John say Fish being gay is no big deal, and ME objects and they change the script to suit him, then I will agree they're not being fair. But that hasn't happened as of yet.

KDP has had to play many stories over the years which probably offended her. I think she said she complained about a scene where John was in bed with her and he imagined Marty. In spite of her not liking the scene, she did it anyway.

• Members

And we're in such a fragile time in American culture whereby people are concerned with how other people's viewpoints affect their own rights, but in regards to CE and PM- these networks have already made their minds up about who's profitable and who isn't. I just don't see the difference between supporting the soap industry and not recognizing the ideals and beliefs that have made it successful. For them to point fingers at the CE and PM citing them as not "gay friendly" is laughable. These actors wouldn't audition for a show on HBO and pull that kind of crap. The fact is they go to daytime because it is safe and it isn't groundbreaking-especially not in today's times.

What's interesting is outside these people getting fired, anyone else that would call this industry out on their BS would fall under "gay agenda", as would any other network concern in search of diverse representation. It seems like it takes someone to get fired in order for people to even want to discuss these issues.

And I think that qualifies under profitable or shuck and jive. And I've been told that yes, some actors do discuss dialogue and there are some things they just aren't willing to say, and tptb comply. So it's not unheard of and it does happen.

RS can't do it, KDP sure as hell couldn't say anything, and ME could give a rat's ass what happens to John now- because what perspective is John McBain supposed to air? A hard core homophobic cop? That might actually make him interesting.

But as I'm to understand it, the woman isn't saying 'no' to the s/l, or disagreeing about Carlotta's place in such. She's saying 'no' to the perspective or perhaps the script/dialogue. BUt I wonder how long that discussion lasted before she was asked to leave? And I, like many other people feel this breaking news is missing alot of context. LIke CE, at this point, no matter what the actress were to talk about she's already been filed under homophobe so it won't matter. Just as CE's letter to the media only added fuel to his fire.

But like I said before, it's not even about defending someone else personal beliefs-misguided or not- or actor's issues. What's exciting is that fans are able to speak against "oppressive behavior" and it's nice to see people getting a voice; what's worrisome is why everyone acting as bystanders chose these two scapegoats instead of going after the industries that has catered to and uphold such viewpoints as valid. And I think that has alot to do with people not wanting to look at the shows that we love and respect to acknowledge that they played a part in solidifying those beliefs. You watch enough prime time you start to see how behind they are in the game.

• Members

The more publicity this gets the worse it is for any chance of this story with Kyle and Fish going forward. And if PM keeps being pushed, which stuff like this being posted on Perez is doing, then she will probably become a martyr to a lot of people who don't even watch soaps. I'm starting to get a bad feeling about the story with Kyle and Fish and it being dropped soon, which is disappointing, because this is the only gay story on daytime right now I think is solid.

ACEM, I don't know if OLTL would have fired her unless they felt they had no choice. I don't know how to feel because I can't remember if this has even happened at OLTL before. I had heard that they were pressed for time and had to film the scene and everything happened right before taping, and that was another factor. I don't know if that's true or not.

Either way, I hope PM won't be vilified, as I didn't want Chris Engen to be vilified.

• Members

There really isn't much else to cover in daytime though. The only marginally interesting happenings these days that in some way are part of the greater culture is the gay angle. I am sure if soaps did stories about devout catholic Sonny Corinthos using his mob to bomb an abortion clinic or whatever and Maurice Benard quit over that or was fired for refusing to play that, it would be covered. Race is no longer an issue, abortion is passe, what's left? Gay, incest, some angle on terrorism maybe. That's pretty much it.

Archived